Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#38057 08/22/07 01:12 PM
Alex S Offline OP
OP Offline
I was sad to finsh reading The City and the Stars recently. This was only the second time I had read it and it was so much better than I remembered it - and I already loved it!

It is such a visual book.

I've recently been in touch with artist Chris Moore who painted the amazing cityscape on the book cover, and I ordered an A2 signed print of it - which looks wonderful wink

Too bad the book han't been made into a film yet... although it's so epic it would go on for hours!

I've since started to read Philip K Dick's "The Penultimate Truth", but so far I'm finding it a difficult read.

#38058 08/22/07 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by newvox:
Quote:
Originally posted by Logan 5:
Also Mr Gary Webb used the line "Flow my tears the new Police song" in an early Tubeway Army song-I think its Listen to the Sirens
It was indeed 'Listen To The Sirens' and is the very first line from Numans 'Tubeway Army' album from '78. [/QB]
A lot of the lyrics from 'Tubeway Army' and 'Replicas' were taken from 'Naked Lunch' and 'Nova Express' also. It was Numan's love for these books that got me reading them. I started reading Ballard becuase of all the mentions he got in almost every interview with Foxx in the 80s (mostly from the interviewer/reviewer rather than Foxx repeating himself).

Without Sylvian, I probably wouldn't of had read Satre, looked closely at Chagall or Picasso, No Foxx - no Duchamp, Surrealism, Psychedelia, Ernst, Ballard, Auster, No Numan - no Burroughs etc etc,

Isn't it strange, when you think back, where our REAL education came from? wink

My 300th post! wo-hoo! where's the champagne? Hmmm....think I'll nip down the pub during lunch for a swift Guinness laugh

#38059 08/22/07 01:38 PM
M
M
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S

I've since started to read Philip K Dick's "The Penultimate Truth", but so far I'm finding it a difficult read. [/QB]
I'm having the same problem with Philip K.Dick novel VALIS. I've had the book for 3 years or so & everytime I try & read it I find that I'm just not in the mood for it.

#38060 08/22/07 05:44 PM
How did I miss this thread?
I have read and reread all of Arthur C. Clarke's novels and they are classics.
Alex, if you get the chance read Childhood's End. probably my favorite.

As for Philip K. Dick, he is one of my all time favorite authors and have read all of his work numerous times. His recurring themes of government intrusion, paranoia and loss of identity that permeate all of his work are particularly relevant today. He was underappreciated while he was alive and I am glad to see that more people (and Hollywood, for better or worse)are taking notice of him.

#38061 08/22/07 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by newvox:
Quote:
Originally posted by Logan 5:
Also Mr Gary Webb used the line "Flow my tears the new Police song" in an early Tubeway Army song-I think its Listen to the Sirens
It was indeed 'Listen To The Sirens' and is the very first line from Numans 'Tubeway Army' album from '78. [/QB]
And I had read Flow My Tears The Policeman Said years prior, so can you imagine the look on my face when I heard Gary Numan singing those words!

#38062 08/27/07 03:02 PM
I think I discovered PKD shortly before I discovered Numan, and I'm pretty sure I picked up on that reference.

Anyone remember Future Life? It was a more science and space-oriented spinoff from Starlog Magazine in the late 1970s (originally just called Future). In 1980 they had an article on Numan, looking at the SF elements in his music, and if you scroll down a little you can read it on this web page .

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.