Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#38047 08/05/07 07:48 PM
Alex S Offline OP
OP Offline
I wonder if John ever read The City and the Stars by Arthur C Clarke?

I've just started reading it for the second time after a gap of six years. I first read this book in the summer of 2001. I'm not a big reader, but when I get into a book, then I really get into it, and this was no exception. More visual than any science-fiction move I've ever seen and more atmospheric than my wildest dreams of the future, The City and the Stars had a profound effect on me. I've based many of my songs around scenarios from the book.

But what is extra special about it to me, is the fact I associate it with Metamatic. I think I was in the middle of the book when the Edsel reissues came out – and this was the first time I had heard the album.

The futuristic cityscapes and tiny details that many of the songs on Metamatic focus on just seemed to match so perfectly with elements of the book; most significantly the first half of the story, which is city-bound (and ridiculously ahead of its time - it was written in the 50s).

I doubt very much that John was thinking of this novel when he wrote the album, but for me, the connection, albeit most likely by coincidence, is just so amazing.

The book always makes me think of the album – and vice-versa.

Well worth a read.

#38048 08/05/07 08:26 PM
Administrator
Administrator
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Alex S:
I doubt very much that John was thinking of this novel when he wrote the album

I wouldn't be at all surprised. cool
Not read it myself, but it sounds exactly the kind of thing that could be regarded as an influence.
He may not have been thinking of it directly, but oftentimes things permeate our conscience and we refer to them later, without having a clue where they came from.

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#38049 08/05/07 11:51 PM
Alex S Offline OP
OP Offline
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_City_and_the_Stars

Info about the book here and a picture of the cover by Chris Moore, which I love...

#38050 08/06/07 08:09 AM
Alex S Offline OP
OP Offline
Actually, I should retract my earlier statement of John probably not having read that particular book! Knowing John's love of literature - especially such a highly regarded novel in its genre - he probably did read this one, perhaps when he was young.

Listening to "This City" this morning, and so much of it relates perfectly to the book.

It needs to be made into a film. With a John Foxx soundtrack laugh

#38051 08/06/07 12:00 PM
The Archive
The Archive
It's strange how music and literature can be forever intertwined with each other - dependent on when you first encountered them. I remember (many years ago) someone lent me a copy of the William S Burroughs book Naked Lunch as well as the Brian Eno and David Byrne album My Life in the Bush of Ghosts .

Even now, all these years later, there's no way that I can read any of the Naked Lunch without motifs from America is Waiting, Jezebel Spirit and / or Mea Culpa coming to mind... eek

Rob

#38052 08/06/07 12:38 PM
Alex S Offline OP
OP Offline
Hmm, I can easily imagine the effect My Life in the Bush of Ghosts had on you whilst reading Naked Lunch!!

I might have mentioned this before, but not long after I bought My Life in the Bush of Ghosts, I had a rather disturbing nightmare, and throughout the last part of the dream before I woke, the track "Regiment" was playing non-stop, getting louder.

I've always felt slightly uncomfortable with that track ever since.

#38053 08/06/07 01:31 PM
D
D
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Harris:
Even now, all these years later, there's no way that I can read any of the Naked Lunch without motifs from [b]America is Waiting, Jezebel Spirit and / or Mea Culpa coming to mind... eek

Rob [/b]
No will whatsoever. No will whatsoever.

#38054 08/22/07 12:25 PM
M
M
I read The City And The Stars on my holiday after reading Alex's posting. I agree with everything Alex has written. A wonderful atmospheric book, full of suspense, fear, discovery etc.

I particularly liked Arthur's take on the Jesus/religious theory which appeared about halfway through the book.

Other sci-fi novels I read were, Philip K. Dick's UBIK & FLOW MY TEARS THE POLICEMAN SAID. Now I know where Philip Oakey got the name JASON TAVERNER from.

#38055 08/22/07 12:41 PM
L
L
Ilektrik!
Flow my Tears is one of my absolute favourite novels,it would make an amazing film.Ive always chuckled to myself over the years re:The Future using Jason Taverner's name!!Wondered how many people got the joke.
Also Mr Gary Webb used the line "Flow my tears the new Police song" in an early Tubeway Army song-I think its Listen to the Sirens

#38056 08/22/07 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Logan 5:
Also Mr Gary Webb used the line "Flow my tears the new Police song" in an early Tubeway Army song-I think its Listen to the Sirens [/QB]
It was indeed 'Listen To The Sirens' and is the very first line from Numans 'Tubeway Army' album from '78.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.