Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#37899 08/07/07 01:13 PM
Administrator
Administrator
I agree entirely. :p

I think…?? confused

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#37900 08/07/07 02:53 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
Originally posted by E. G. Ekin:
I would imagine few people make enough money from eBay or similar sites to be able to give up their day job.
well ... that's what u & others may suppose , but in reality there are MORE THAN ENOUGH ( literally ! ) people , who do jus' this & make a living out of it !

anyway ... selling tickets @ ebay or wherever for much more than face value is something that i deeply dispise & one of the reasons , why i don't use ebay @ all !

sadly not many people have the guts to clearly say "NO !" to such things ! *sigh*
actually those , who are jus' too weak to say "no" also don't deserve anything other than to be exploited , if u ask me !

#37901 08/07/07 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by SF Metamatrix:
Quote:
[b] I would imagine few people make enough money from eBay or similar sites to be able to give up their day job.
well ... that's what u & others may suppose , but in reality there are MORE THAN ENOUGH ( literally ! ) people , who do jus' this & make a living out of it !

anyway ... selling tickets @ ebay or wherever for much more than face value is something that i deeply dispise & one of the reasons , why i don't use ebay @ all !

sadly not many people have the guts to clearly say "NO !" to such things ! *sigh*
actually those , who are jus' too weak to say "no" also don't deserve anything other than to be exploited , if u ask me ! [/b]
Hi Olaf,

I appreciate some people make a living out of all thing eBay, but it's not something that can be done easily in someone's spare time and that was the difference I was trying to make. The people who are making serious money out of tickets on the site do so for a living. But then these people would have been doing that anyway - albeit touting outside venues. As I said, the place they are selling them has changed, not the activity.

I don't think you can categorise everyone who buys tickets off eBay, either for face value or higher, as 'weak' or 'exploited' as everyone does have a choice whether to buy tickets from there or not. Right up until you punch the key that says 'confirm purchase', people have an option not to go through with it and step back. It's fine sticking to your guns, or ethics, and saying that everyone should just say no, but even with the best will in the world there will be always be something, an event, that will draw someone to ignoring that principle, even if it's just once. I've bought tickets off eBay many times and only once felt ripped off - not for the price, but the position of the seat being mis-represented. But in saying that, for that one bad experience, there have been many more times I would have paid more for the experience of seeing a band I like, even when I have paid over the going rate for the ticket. 'Buyer beware' is the motto, not 'Buy and then moan about being exploited'.

In June I paid £60 total - not each, total - on a buy it now option for six seats for 'The Who's' show at Wembley. Does that make me weak for buying them from eBay, or does it make me brave for taking a chance and snapping up a bargain? There's always two sides to arguments - making a choice is never a weak option.

There is the belief that every one selling tickets on eBay is just ripping people off. Sorry, but it's just not the case, and to pretend otherwise is mis-leading and not attempting to explore all the issues surrounding this.

frown

#37902 08/07/07 04:25 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
I don't think you can categorise everyone who buys tickets off eBay, either for face value or higher, as 'weak' or 'exploited'
if u would actually read , what i wrote a wee bit more carefully ( once again ! ) , u would notice , what i've meant with it , e. g. ! *sigh*

but to make it clear - even for u now :

people , who are too weak to say "no" & pay MUCH MORE than face value for tickets @ ebay or wherever simply deserve to be exploited , because they have no guts to withstand certain things & i don't feel sorry for them @ all !

Quote:
Does that make me weak for buying them from eBay, or does it make me brave for taking a chance and snapping up a bargain? There's always two sides to arguments - making a choice is never a weak option.
giving in to be(come) exploited by somebody , even if u definitely don't have to do this , because tickets are not food that u need to survive , is indeed weak & your very own fault in the end , but in your case u've obviously made a bargain & so u weren't exploited in any way , right !?
so WHY do u come up with such a question then , e. g. ?
i can tell u why : simply because u like such rhetorics & certain semantics ... & u usually find a good counterpart in me , as we both know very well from past "incidents" ! *quite_cheeky_grin*

Quote:
There is the belief that every one selling tickets on eBay is just ripping people off.
have i said so ?
NO , not @ all ! :-/

once again , here's what i really said : "selling tickets @ ebay or wherever for much more than face value is something that i deeply dispise" !

if tickets are sold for face value or jus' slightly above it , then it's okay for me - but otherwise not !

anyway ... as i can see very clearly that u are back to your ol' tactics here , e. g. , this discussion is now over for me & any further reply from u concerning this or a similar topic will go unnoticed & also unanswered by me - for sure !

#37903 08/07/07 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Will:
So!!........... Is this gig sold out??
Reason I ask is ticks are appearing on e-bay at extortionate prices, £120!! mad
real fans having to fork out while the scalpers make a killing mad
I saw this a few days ago, and also they are selling the tickets as SEATED but I checked with the ICA and its a 350 capactiy gig with standing only - so this description is incorrect anyway. mad

Sarah laugh

#37904 08/07/07 08:55 PM
M
M
No luck with the tickets on eBay. Or rather I didn't offer enough.

#37905 08/08/07 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by SF Metamatrix:
[QUOTE]anyway ... as i can see very clearly that u are back to your ol' tactics here , e. g. , this discussion is now over for me & any further reply from u concerning this or a similar topic will go unnoticed & also unanswered by me - for sure !
Olaf - I think I should also clarify my position. I'm sorry to come back as I do appreciate that you don't want to be drawn into things unneccessarily, but despite what you seem to believe (I won't patronise you and pretend to assume what you think), I'm not stupid, and I don't have any 'usual' or 'old' tactics to try to be as such - people who really know me would tell you that I like to think. I like interaction with people, I like conversation and debate - as you seem to also - but with a bit more depth to the points of view made, on all sides, and I like having those debates without having to confirm to people what face, expression or sound I have on me when commenting. If all that's going to happen in here is that any posting I make ends with you thinking I'm trying to either wind people up deliberately or goad them into an argument, I may as well just stop posting and go back to something a little more fulfilling and worthwhile.

For what it's worth - and if you're interested - some of your arguments, after a little more explanation and clarification, make perfect sense. I don't neccesarily agree with them, but I can see where your arguments are heading.

As you say, topic closed for me also now.

frown

EG

#37906 08/08/07 11:45 AM
M
M
Oh good...

Anyone got a spare ticket to ICA 29.9.?

#37907 08/08/07 07:23 PM
Always tickets touts

#37908 08/09/07 11:57 AM
The Archive
The Archive
This may sound as though it's 'slightly off-topic', so please bear with me... there's been some lively, interesting and entertaining debate in this thread about the pros and cons of selling tickets on sites such as eBay, and whether or not the practice is ripping people off. But why should the discussion be restricted to just tickets? Hundreds, if not thousands, of items are sold every hour for a price which (the seller hopes) is far and above what the item originally cost. Ultimately these sites are on-line auction houses, and it's a simple way of people making money on items which (for whatever reason) they no longer require. Incidentally, I don't want you to think that I'm being particularly pro eBay - it doesn't matter which site is used - but eBay is a good example because, like a number of similar sites, they have a set of Rules and Regulations which govern what people can and can't do. Much like this site in fact.

Anyhow, this particular topic was started to discuss the fact that there were a couple of tickets to one of John's shows for sale on eBay. This is not the first time John Foxx tickets have been sold in this manner, and it probably won't be the last. The difference here (I believe) is that the tickets reached quite a high price. But nevertheless it was surely a price which the buyer was more than comfortable with.

So what's my point? I would like to think that this Forum is, first and foremost, a place where John Foxx fans can feel comfortable. They can come in and just view the topics and threads as they unfold and post a reply as and when they feel they've got something to say. A number of people do exactly that, and since the Forum started I've received heaps of positive E-Mails telling me what a great sense of community has developed here. Fantastic. laugh

However, this isn't going to continue if people can't accept that others may have a different world view to their own. Debate is very healthy and something which is only to be welcomed and encouraged, but I feel that some of the posts in this thread (in particular) have deterioted to a level well beyond that. frown

So to prevent this from happening, everyone who wished to become part of the Metamatic Community was asked to sign up to a User Agreement when they registered - the idea being that users would know what was expected of them and what they could expect in return. The upshot to all of this is that I'm not going to tolerate anyone who pushes or flouts these rules - it's very clear what will happen to people who do.

Rob

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.