Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
I agree with Rob on TCM. John definitely seemed to wear his influenced heart on his sleeve there. Gr8 album!

Although...

For sheer can't-get-it-out-of-my-head-ness: Running in Traffic gets my vote. A tongue-in-cheek reworking of elements of Miles Away, perhaps, but sublime nonetheless...

It gave me chance to use my iPod's little activated 'repeat' function.

Happy days!

smile

J
J
Speaking of tongue-in-cheek reworkings, am I alone in hearing bits and pieces of "Slow Motion" in "X-Ray Vision"?

Foxx has been doing a lot of that this century. I actually prefer "Invisible Women" over "Underpass."

T
T
Rob...

Is it possible to get "The Hidden Man" a wider release so that U.S. fans can acquire it?

H
H
Quote:
Originally posted by John Foxxworthy:
I wonder why John's been so prolific as of late. He's released more material so far this decade than he did in the 70s and 80s combined. Hell, I'll continue to cough up the cash.
Perhaps he's thinking about retiring and wants to bump up the pension fund a bit before he does. It might also explain the apparently 'special' nature of the forthcoming 't-shirt' (i.e. farewell) gig.

Pure speculation on my part btw.

i should probably check out the metamatic.com but what is "the hidden man"? also is "sideways" available somewhere?

The Archive
The Archive
Quote:
Originally posted by psychocandy:
i should probably check out the metamatic.com but what is "the hidden man"? also is "sideways" available somewhere?
Here's a link for the Sideways CD. I'll try and get some more details of how to get hold of The Hidden man for anyone who missed it when it was first available... wink

Rob

T
T
Hi all! I thought I would weigh in on my opinion of Sideways vs. From Trash. I received Sideways first, and was pleasantly surprised that it was so melodic and varied... glad to hear those high sinuous soaring lead synth lines, and a return to a vocal meloday.. the best work he's done since Shifting City.. probably even better than that. Then I recieved From Trash and was incredulous of the choices John made for the tracks of the "official" album vs. the "out-takes" of Sideways. To my ears, though From Trash has some great tracks, Sideways is clearly a superior album. I find that From Trash is more like John & Louis previous albums, in that to my ears, there is too much reliance on repetitive pounding disco beats with the vocals often buried in the background and without much melody. Anyway... I'm grateful to have all the new material this year, but was dumbfounded that he left the Sideways tracks as a limited release (maybe not so limited now, I hope).
- Ted

J
J
Quote:
Originally posted by Harold Halloway:
Quote:
Originally posted by John Foxxworthy:
[b] I wonder why John's been so prolific as of late. He's released more material so far this decade than he did in the 70s and 80s combined. Hell, I'll continue to cough up the cash.
Perhaps he's thinking about retiring and wants to bump up the pension fund a bit before he does. It might also explain the apparently 'special' nature of the forthcoming 't-shirt' (i.e. farewell) gig.

Pure speculation on my part btw. [/b]
I certainly hope not. I kinda doubt that being the case, though. I seem to recall John saying something to the effect of, "I want to be doing this when I'm 80!" If he's really thinking about retiring, then he's the best-preserved 80-year-old I've ever seen.

P.S. Just how old *is* John, anyway? As far as I know, he's always kept that bit of information to himself. Such an enigmatic fellow that John Foxx.

One should never ask a gentleman his age..

smile

H
H
Quote:

P.S. Just how old *is* John, anyway? As far as I know, he's always kept that bit of information to himself. Such an enigmatic fellow that John Foxx.
I don't recall ever seeing a birthday for JF. The rest of Ultravox were born between 1950 and 1953 if memory serves and I'd say that was about right. Perhaps Rob or Cerise has the right date - I can't see why it would be a state secret!

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.