Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#37139 03/01/10 08:29 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Nuff said!!

Respect CM laugh

(I like SC too...)

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#37140 03/02/10 09:22 AM
Great review Core! Cheers! smile

Liked the Peepshow analogy too - hahahahahaha!

Right...off to give Shifting City a blast

#37141 03/04/10 10:36 AM
C
C
Shadow Man Mono Mix –

I’m hugely impressed by this, I love the pop and beat of the original, but this version, oh, its so sleek, as soon as I heard it, Wow!

In musical style it links together all of John’s up-front electro avenues, travelling from Metamatic and moving all the way through his albums with Louis.

John is distinctively ‘Foxx-like’ with his vocal delivery, this is the voice I want to hear, he’s moved from the background of the original version, and now closer to the mic’, the almost spoken lyrics, (which I never seemed to register much with the original) are now precise, confidently presented, and knowing:
”and the roses bloom, and the mirror dust, and the tidal drift...”,
its the man we know, top form, and it’s the best electro track of the moment for me.

The Quiet Men Subterranean Omnidelic Exotour Mix –

This does nothing for me at all, it just left me feeling… flat.
It lacked any point, listening to it too much is probably going to devalue your appreciation of the original.
(Edit - didn't mean to be quite so harsh there! smile )

Just For A Moment Subterranean Omnidelic Exotour Mix –

the original is a classic, but this version?

Beautiful.

Again, top form, thanks for putting it on the album John, and a great example of careful, thoughtful reworking, with touches of his more recent 'Quiet Man piano sounds', I wish it were all much longer, and the song has been shifted into yet another level of ambient wonder.

#37142 03/04/10 10:51 AM
That mono mix of Shadow Man is just stunning. I prefer it to the final version, and it works as a nice bridge to TPOE too.

#37143 03/04/10 11:10 AM
C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
That mono mix of Shadow Man is just stunning. I prefer it to the final version, and it works as a nice bridge to TPOE too.
Yes, its interesting, after hearing the Mono Mix I wondered if John had actually planned to redo some of the tracks on SC as he did with TPOE09 but abandoned the idea. Maybe there was a possibility that all of the reworked tracks would sound too much like they were cut from the same cloth, and he decided against any radical changes to SC in order to keep the two albums sounding different to each other.

#37144 05/07/10 03:20 PM
F
F
I finally got this re-vamped re-issue today.

Certainly the remastering is welcome on the Shifting City album, it's gotta be about 6dB louder if nothing else!

I'm a bit confused by the two "subterranean omnidelic exotour" tracks on CD1:
"The Quiet Man" just seems to be a new mix with all the distortion and crunch taken off (most noticeable on the instrumental solo - it's totally clean and dry). Not really sure what the point of this was - the mix on the dual 'Golden Section Tour/Exotour' digipack CD of 2002 is the one with the distortion...
is the clean mix new for this 2009 release? or was it on the original 1998 CD?

Am still struggling to find the difference in the two Just For a Moments...

I love the demo of Shadow Man smile

#37145 06/24/10 10:05 AM
Got mine yesterday off Townsend (had ordered with DNA).
Took me ages to get the plastic off and I noticed that, confusingly, both discs are labelled 'Shifting City'..
:rolleyes:

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.