Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Mine arrived this morning.

Just listened on the way back from my girldriends in my car.

Probably the most ambient sounding John Foxx ever.

I need to listen in full immersion with my headphones on to truly judge it.

The booklet has just pictures,no notes & it is a bit basic.

F
F
I got my copy in the post this morning.

Listened to the CD there and thought it was lovely.
(And, importantly, not too long, clocking in at a tidy 36 minutes, just like albums used to be in the good old days ;-)

Bravo to Steve D'Agostino for nurturing these recordings to completion!

Administrator
Administrator
The announcement that A Secret Life is OUT NOW is accompanied by a new photo from the same series as the sleeve artwork

http://blog.thequietman.co.uk

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
My copy of A Secret Life also arrived today. The only way I can sum it up is "hugely disappointed". The music is sooooo quiet for me to get anything out of it is turn the volume really high.

I agree with you Brian, extremely basic. Not a lot of thought put into sleeve design other the the cover artwork which I like.

Peter frown

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
Originally posted by feline1:
Listened to the CD there and thought it was lovely.
(And, importantly, not too long, clocking in at a tidy 36 minutes, just like albums used to be in the good old days ;-)

Bravo to Steve D'Agostino for nurturing these recordings to completion!
I totally agree - it's an exquisite album, which reminds me (certainly on the first track) of Crimsworth by Bill Nelson - which is no bad thing.

Quote:
Originally posted by metal beat:
My copy of A Secret Life also arrived today. The only way I can sum it up is "hugely disappointed". The music is sooooo quiet for me to get anything out of it is turn the volume really high.
We must be listening to different albums - as A Secret Life sounds just how I expected it to based on the section I'd heard over on myspace.

N
N
Quote:
Originally posted by metal beat:

I agree with you Brian, extremely basic. Not a lot of thought put into sleeve design other the the cover artwork which I like.

Peter frown
I think it is extremely good. Quiet? Far from it. I would say "atmospheric" And the booklet? Sparce and minimal like the recording.

F
F
Well, if your faveourite Foxxwerks are "Frozen Ones", "Rockwrok" and "Underpass", this album probably won't be up your street.

I'm reminded though of "Distant Smile", and as much as I love the punk racket of the main song, for me the best bit is the 30 seconds of ambient piano intro wink

Received my copy yesterday and listened to it earlier for the first time. The first word that springs to mind is sparse. Some lovely piano sections but at times very little seems to happen.Then again ambient music is intended as something to play in the background,a sonic tint.

Have to agree with many comments here. It's a beautiful piece of work and full credit to all involved - a very nice and relaxing way to end a very busy March.

smile

T
T
To buy, or not to buy. That is the question. smile Sadly, money doesn't grow on even Quiet Trees, so I'm carefully weighing up the comments here.

It seems that A Secret Life is most like Translucence and Drift Music - a package that, as a whole, just doesn't connect with me. Though on the other hand I think some tracks are very good and affecting...

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.