Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sorry John I don't know if it's available on iTunes.

I'm about 10 plays into this now.

It is as fantastic as Garry's review paints it.
This album is an instant classic.

It is brilliant, its sounds in places like Metamatic was launched into an orbiting debris field of antique space synths and drum machines, time warped into the future and Interplay came out of the other end.

Retrofuture this album is.

Shatterproof - Sounding a lot better than the raw stem version that was available for remixers.
Even before recent interviews I knew there was something familiar about the vocal style on this.William Burroughs Naked Lunch is the link.

Synths I liked best on this are the Moog Modular with it's big random arpeggios & also the Arp Odyssey bassline. Makes it sound so raw, fresh and experimental.

Catwalk - If the B52s made an electro version of Loveshack then mixed it up with electro surf music this is what you would get. Maybe one of the best tracks on the album. Trouble is there are so many to choose from. It is very catchy.

Watching a building on Fire - Some wicked Metamatic sounding effects mixed up in this. I think the most experimental track on the album.Mira's vocals sound un-earthly,alien but beautiful.

Interplay - The bassline & playing sound almost like Tony Levin which leads to a slight vibe of Peter Gabriel’s Don’t Give Up. It’s a lovely song. I love the thunderstorm in the background.

Summerland - Has an arpeggiated intro part that reminds me a bit of the theme to 80s TV series Airwolf. Nice and up tempo.

The Running Man - Another up tempo mover with hints of The Quiet Man in the intro.

A falling Star -Lovely lyrics.

Destination - Sounds better than ever in its newly remixed clothing.

The Good Shadow - This just simply leaves me with a big emotional lump in my throat.I think this is the one I like most. As Garry says way too short & over too soon.

Brian

I've posted my own full review over on Quiet City, but I am absolutely loving Interplay - it's been a long wait but well worth it.

For me the best tracks are A Falling Star, Summerland, Catwalk, Shatterproof and Evergreen.

I like the Bowie-esque title track a lot, although with it's Japan-style 'real' bass it's the only one that somehow sounds a bit dated. But on the other hand you've got John's most moving and emotive vocal on record; pure and untreated, sounding absolutely wonderful. A very moody track.

It's actually The Good Shadow which does nothing for me at all. Maybe I was expecting much more after reading so many positive comments about it. The lyrics seem barely audiable and I really don't like the vocal treatment; I find it too heavy.

Administrator
Administrator
Good to read everyone's reviews of the new album

I'm playing it non-stop at the moment too, and for me Watching A Building On Fire is the stand-out track, along with Interplay which is a thing of rare beauty, perfectly understated.

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Summerland is close to becoming my favourite on the album. It certainly is one of the best new albums I've heard in a long time. It deserves to be huge.

Is that tape hiss mixed with rain on Interplay?

Just listened whilst out walking lunchtime.Cant stop playing this album. laugh

Yes it's just been blasting in my ears during my lunch break. Destination distorts on my iPod headphones!

Not a sign of it in HMV though - not a sausage! I was hoping to at least see it in the Foxx section, or ideally alongside "Credo" on the new releases stand - but nope. How can such an anticipated album with great reviews all round, not even make it into the shop on it's day of release?! So I bought my copy of Credo and got out of there.

T
T
I'm enjoying reading all your comments, makes the mouth water. I haven't given it a spin yet, despite receiving it on Saturday. I think I might read all the lyrics first. The packaging is really nice, especially the coloured spines!

OP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by core memory:
Quote:
Originally posted by RadioBeach:
[b]
Quote:
[b] ...but when I listened online to September Town (after a big long gap) I was quite disappointed by the way it sounded like a B-side...
How dare you sir! Confound you young man! 20 paces! Pistls at Dawn in Hyde Park!!!! laugh

...I can't deny - I thought September Town would of been better.

But hell! With a myriad of choices; who am I to complain???! cool [/b]
My good Sir Beach, only today was I informed by ethernet-express that the Maestro's new bounty has been dispatched to my private residence. So, duties permitting I will take leave to retire to my gentleman's chambers and surrender my ears to the delectable music of 'Inter-play', and let it be noted that I may yet change my mind on the arrangement of the confection within, for I have acquiesced to the joys of many a previous Foxxwerk, and have learned that 'context is everything'.

In the words of a wiser man than I - a fat little man sporting a moustache - I shall go compare.

"Go Compare!, Go Compare!". "If September Town seems better, while Destination seems not to figure, then I'll check online and Go Compare again". "It makes sense to listen again, and go compare". "Go Compare! Go Compare!". "And I’ll thank my stars that good Sir Beach made me Go Compare..." laugh [/b]
laugh Brilliant!

C
C
Splendiferous!!!

'it' has finally been hand-delivered to my residence by a trusty servant of the League Of Postal Transference. The maestro's bounty is here, and its exterior finery is most sumptuous.

No time to listen to it mind, as I must haste to work now laugh

Quote:
[b]Splendiferous!!!

'it' has finally been hand-delivered to my residence by a trusty servant of the League Of Postal Transference. The maestro's bounty is here, and its exterior finery is most sumptuous.

No time to listen to it mind, as I must haste to work now laugh [/b]
God speed you and likewise on your return, so that you may encounter this most wondrous of artefacts and the aural pleasure contained within.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.