Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
OP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by jhoward:
Am I the only one who likes Destination? I think it's fantastic! The processed drumming, the epic synth melodies, the sci-fi vocals... Easily one of my favourite Foxx tracks.
I'm sure the version of Destination on the album is a different mix to the single version. It's shorter in length and feels tighter, more dynamic somehow. Well that's the impression I was left with anyway. I don't dislike Destination at all, it's just that, once you hear it in context with the other tracks, you'll realise just how much the collaboration has developed since we first heard it.

OP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by fons:
Thanks for the great review Garry! smile
Quote:
Originally posted by metal beat:
Hi Garry
Thanks for the review. Peter
Quote:
Originally posted by MemberD:
Molto bene! Couldn't resist reading your review Gaz just as you couldn't resist listening to the album. Excellent review - looking forward to loving it.
smile
Cheers lads!

It just unfolds more and more on every play. Yesterday was the quiet shock and awe of the whole thing, today it’s settling in, little electric sparks going off every now and then. Like Summerland – yesterday, it felt almost like ‘the Disco song’, but today, listening to the songwriting, it’s quietly extraordinary. Really.

Just to enforce what I’ve said and Martin says above – the songwriting and the vocal performances are incredibly strong and rich on here.

It's been a long time coming. I've been yearning for a full-on vocal/songwriting album from John for a good few years now. Sounds like patience is going to pay off! cool

From the clips of other tracks I've heard, I can't imagine Destination fitting in very well any more - September Town however, I think, would. But I guess the decision was made at the time that it was the album track - but at least by your accounts, it's a slightly different version to what we got 18 months ago.

Well that's always the way . .or always used to be: the "single" released sometime before the album always sounded different to the other tracks but after a while it all blends in.
Innit.

Hmm. In hindsight I should have badgered the powers that be for a promo copy to review on Quiet City!

Oh well, I'll just be sitting in great anticipation under the letterbox towards the end of the week.

Administrator
Administrator
Ooops - I was just going to slightly edit my previous post, and I deleted the whole thing!!

Garry's review is very much in line with my enthusiasm and response to Interplay - it really does contain some of John's best songs for years. Vocally and lyrically on the top of his form, drawing on themes, ideas and sounds from across his catalogue.

re: Destination - I wasn't sure about the track fitting in when I first heard the album, but it really does, perhaps because this version is a lot grittier, harder and altogether monstrous than on the single. laugh
I don't think September Town would have worked instead, cos it doesn't have the depth.
Destination is the Million Cars or Shifting City of Interplay and just sends shivers down the spine.

If you haven't done so yet, place on order.
This is gonna be a seller…

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
C
C
I've tried putting off reading your review Garry, but having stuck my finger in one eye and allowed myself to read with my other eye only the bits about the tracks that I'm so far familiar with I've managed to enjoy what you've had to say about Shatterproof, Evergreen, Destination, and Good Shadow.

Sure, there's a few other tracks on the album that I heard at the Roundhouse, but I honestly didn't absorb them - with the exception of Good Shadow - a track I'm really looking forward to hearing again.

As regards Destination versus September Town, at first I totally agreed with you, and thinking that the track had the right degree of come-down helping ease the end of the album towards the graceful closer of Good Shadow, but when I listened online to September Town (after a big long gap) I was quite disappointed by the way it sounded like a B-side. So, I'm now in the other camp with Destination, agreeing with Martin, and for me its hopefully going to be this albums Impossible...

OP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by core memory:
...but when I listened online to September Town (after a big long gap) I was quite disappointed by the way it sounded like a B-side. So, I'm now in the other camp with Destination, agreeing with Martin, and for me its hopefully going to be this albums Impossible...
How dare you sir! Confound you young man! 20 paces! Pistls at Dawn in Hyde Park!!!! laugh

But seriously guv. I love September Town BUT... The version of Destination on the album is significantly different and really grows on you. Initially though, I can't deny - I thought September Town would of been better.

But hell! With a myriad of choices; who am I to complain???! cool

C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by RadioBeach:
Quote:
Originally posted by core memory:
[b] ...but when I listened online to September Town (after a big long gap) I was quite disappointed by the way it sounded like a B-side...
How dare you sir! Confound you young man! 20 paces! Pistls at Dawn in Hyde Park!!!! laugh

...I can't deny - I thought September Town would of been better.

But hell! With a myriad of choices; who am I to complain???! cool [/b]
My good Sir Beach, only today was I informed by ethernet-express that the Maestro's new bounty has been dispatched to my private residence. So, duties permitting I will take leave to retire to my gentleman's chambers and surrender my ears to the delectable music of 'Inter-play', and let it be noted that I may yet change my mind on the arrangement of the confection within, for I have acquiesced to the joys of many a previous Foxxwerk, and have learned that 'context is everything'.

In the words of a wiser man than I - a fat little man sporting a moustache - I shall go compare.

"Go Compare!, Go Compare!". "If September Town seems better, while Destination seems not to figure, then I'll check online and Go Compare again". "It makes sense to listen again, and go compare". "Go Compare! Go Compare!". "And I’ll thank my stars that good Sir Beach made me Go Compare..." laugh

Does anyone have a link to this album on iTunes, otherwise I'll trek to my local HMV.

Maybe iTunes have lost it along with other missing albums such as FGTH Liverpool and countless Art Of Noise albums...........Rant Over!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.