Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 753 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 752 753
I'm not generally a fan of remixes.. it's very rare I like a remix. There have only been a couple of occasions, which both happen to be recent-ish Bowie tracks, where I have preferred a remix to the original.

Personally I wouldn't want to hear a remixed Metamatic... I can't help but feel it would remove something from the integrity of the original album. It's an album only John could make, and although I can appreciate other artists wanting to get their hands on the track, if I were John, I'd be very posessive of it!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Harris:
...on the way to work this morning it was [b]Up by Peter Gabriel [/b]
Did you like it Rob? I'm guessing you hadn't heard it until now. It's a very deep album, and often quite hard to access, compared to Gabriel's previous albums such as So or Us.

The radio edits of "Growing Up", "More Than This" and "The Barry Williams Show" were excellent, and much more accessible – they can be found on the wonderful Hit compilation.

The Archive
The Archive
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
Did you like it Rob? I'm guessing you hadn't heard it until now. It's a very deep album, and often quite hard to access, compared to Gabriel's previous albums such as So or Us.
I bought Up when it first came out and even went to see Gabriel with Cerise at the NEC on the Growing Up tour (I think that I gave you hi-res scans of the ticket stubs for your website) I'm reasonably familiar with Gabriel's stuff - I think that I have copies of most, if not all, of his albums. It was just that E.G. and I were having a chat last week and he encouraged me to listen to both Us and Up again... wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
The radio edits of "Growing Up", "More Than This" and "The Barry Williams Show" were excellent, and much more accessible – they can be found on the wonderful [b]Hit compilation. [/b]
I haven't gotten around to buying a copy of Hit as I'd already shelled out for Shaking the Tree twice over the years - the original release and the remastered version.

Rob

Aah, I see! I remmeber you telling me already that you saw the GUP tour. (All the recent intake of John Foxx information must have pushed everything else out of my brain!!)

As I already had Shaking the Tree on CD, I sneakily asked a friend to buy me Hit on CD for Christmas, a couple of years ago!

It is a good compilation though – I only really wanted it for a selection of tracks unavailable elsewhere, including the excellent Steve Osbourne remix of The Tower That Ate People (what was I saying earlier about remixes?!), Lovetown and the great Robbie Robertson version of I Have the Touch - complete with extra verse!

The single version of Growing Up is a superb pop track - much more spontaneous that the album version, and even better. That song really deserved to be a classic Gabriel hit.

I do feel though that there were a couple of essential tracks on STT (I Don't Remember, Family Snapshot, etc...) that were sadly missed off Hit.

.........I'm now listening to Gabriel's Hit compilation!!

The 'Miss' disc that came with the limited edition of the 'Hit' compilation was far more interesting musically I found.

wink

EG
x

Yeah, that was more like the disc of, well, 'misses', and ultimately a bit more interesting!

Most tracks on the Hit disc were on STT. I still found it a bit frustrating that the 2-disc opportunity was not taken to get long-forgotten b-sides such as "Don't Break This Rhythm" and "Walk Through The Fire" back on to CD.

Maybe in 2045 when a Peter Gabriel box set finally emerges....!!

Today I've been listening to Visage,the Anvil
& TPOE

Brian

I've just discovered a brilliant snippet of a new Gary Numan/Ade Fenton track, called "The Leather Sea", on MySpace.

M
M
Cabaret Voltaire - The Conversation and Gary Numan - Eko.

I'm sure most of you know that Eko is the 2 disc audio tour programme of the Telekon 2006 mini tour. It contains 2 hours of Gary talking to the best interviewer in the business, Steve Malins, about the Telekon album, The Pleasure Principle, Ultravox!, light shows, Numanoids, Paul Gardiner, Trent Reznor.

Inbetween the interview there are snippets of all the Telekon tracks plus bits of I Die You Die, We Are glass & the full version of Photograph.

Like The Hidden man & From Trash interview discs Eko is a fascinating & absorbing listen & rubber stamps the admiration I have for the man.

Page 13 of 753 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 752 753

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.