Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 753 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 752 753
David Bowie – The Buddha of Suburbia.
A sadly overlooked classic.

Anything Billy Bragg at the moment, I think I'm homesick!!!

M
M
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Harris:
This morning - it's [b]White Out by Johannes Schmoelling...

Yesterday - at various points - I listened to Blade Runner - The Esper Edition Soundtrack (Vangelis), Us (Peter Gabriel), Aion (Dead Can Dance), Tell Your Mum I Saved Your Life (Louis Gordon), Mojave Plan and Thermal Inversion (Tangerine Dream) and far too much Ultravox... wink

Rob [/b]
Rob, Great to read that you've been listening to Dead Can Dance. I am a big fan of Lisa & Brendan's music.

Aion contains my favourite track, BLACK SUN.

I would also be interested to know the difference between Bladerunner 'The Esper Soundtrack' & the original issue.

Mark

Burial; ‘Burial’
Wire magazine’s album of the year ’06, just thought I’d give it ago and glad I did. Dubstep concept album about South London being underwater after the collapse of the Thames barrier in 2023. If you’ve ever heard ‘Rhythm and Stealth’ by Leftfield you’ve got an idea of the dark electronic atmosphere created here.

Scott Walker; ‘The Drift’
There’s not enough room to even begin explaining this album. I get insomnia a lot and that’s the best time to listen to this; in the dark, with the headphones on.

Jóhann Jóhannsson; ‘IBM 1401, A User’s Manual’
There’s a bit of a story behind this one. In 1964, a computer - the IBM 1401 Data Processing System - arrived in Iceland, one of the very first computers to be imported into the country. The chief maintenance engineer for this machine was Jóhann Gunnarsson – Jóhannsson’s dad.

Gunnarsson was a keen musician, he learned of an obscure method of making music on this computer. The computer's memory emitted strong electromagnetic waves and by programming the memory in a certain way and by placing a radio receiver next to it, melodies could be coaxed out - captured by the receiver as a delicate, melancholy sine-wave tone.

When the IBM 1401 was taken out of service in 1971, it wasn't simply thrown away like an old refrigerator, but was given a little farewell ceremony, almost a funeral, when its melodies were played for one last time. This "performance" was documented on tape along with recordings of the sound of the machine in operation.

Jóhann Jóhannsson has taken his dad’s recordings made in the 70s and has added a string quartet to them. The result is one of the most emotional albums you’ll ever hear.

The last track ‘The Sun’s Gone Dim And The Sky’s Turned Black’ is 5 lines of a poem by Dorothy Parker that the IBM sings at its farewell ceremony and is really, really sad!

For sound samples;
http://www.ausersmanual.com/credits/

Steve Reich; ‘Music for 18 Musicians’
I got the extremely reasonably priced ‘Phases’ box-set for xmas. 5 CDs but I’m still stuck on this one - just absolutely beautiful music.

John Foxx & Louis Gordon; ‘From Trash’ / ‘Sideways’
I know it’s got its detractors, but I think ‘From Trash’ is the strongest album since ‘Shifting City’.

John Foxx; ‘Tiny Colour Movies’
So much has been said already I think. Beautiful.

Scientist; ‘Scientist Meets The Space Invaders’
Some superb minimal dub from 1981. The music’s brilliant to get lost in, but quite frankly it’s worth buying for the cover art alone.

X-Ray Spex: ‘Germ-Free Adolescence’
Punk Pop from 1978 – almost every song on here could have been a hit single. ‘Warrior in Woolworths’ is my favourite

Others; ESG; ‘A South Bronx Story’, Martha and the Muffins; ‘This Is The Ice Age’,

Scott walker the drift is pretty amazing. Will have to listen in bed tonight.

C
Chris C Offline OP
OP Offline
C
In the last couple of days...

Gary Numan's Babylon 1 - 7 - a collection of 12" mixes and b-sides from the Numa Years

Dalek I Love You's debut Compass Kumpas. A late discovery and pretty good!

Re-flex's The Politics of Dancing , still a favourite

The Human League's Fascination compilation plus 12" mixes and b-sides. Martin Rushent's version of I Love You Too Much should have been a single. Great track!

Chris C wink

C
Chris C Offline OP
OP Offline
C
...listening now to Telex's Looking For Saint Tropez from '78. Moskow Diskow reminds me of Kraftwerk's The Robots and is an excellent track in its own right. Thanks Rusty for the recommendation!

Chris C wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Ilektrik:
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Harris:
[b] This morning - it's [b]White Out by Johannes Schmoelling...

Yesterday - at various points - I listened to Blade Runner - The Esper Edition Soundtrack (Vangelis), Us (Peter Gabriel), Aion (Dead Can Dance), Tell Your Mum I Saved Your Life (Louis Gordon), Mojave Plan and Thermal Inversion (Tangerine Dream) and far too much Ultravox... wink

Rob [/b]
Rob, Great to read that you've been listening to Dead Can Dance. I am a big fan of Lisa & Brendan's music.

Aion contains my favourite track, BLACK SUN.

I would also be interested to know the difference between Bladerunner 'The Esper Soundtrack' & the original issue.

Mark [/b]
It would seem that the Esper Soundtrack is a bootleg recording,which consists of a more complete score than has ever officially been released,see here:-

http://www.answers.com/topic/blade-runner-soundtracks

Indeed it is... I have the Esper version (mp3), and it has 33 tracks as opposed to the 12 tracks on the original. It really does convey the whole atmosphere of the movie far more than the original, as it uses a lot of the atmospheric sounds and effects familiar to anyone who has seen it. A far more enjoyable version, IMO.

Sparks - Number one in heaven.

Page 10 of 753 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 752 753

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.