Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#34550 09/22/07 06:52 PM
What an impressive line-up.
One comment though:Foreigner confused

#34551 10/09/07 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Furniture:
I can also remember them walking off stage at the end of Distant Smile (I think) with all the feedback making this horrible noise (it might have been Artificial Life??) confused .
It was probably 'Fear In The Western World'. Bootlegs from '77/first half of '78 have Ultravox! open with 'I Want To Be A Machine', close the main set with 'The Wild, The Beautiful And The Damned', and play 'ROckwrok' and 'Fear In The Western World' as an encore.

#34552 10/09/07 03:40 PM
Another gig not listed in the archive section was played at the City Hall, St Albans some time in 1977, prior to the recording of 'Ha! Ha! Ha!'. It's briefly reviewed in an article entitled 'Ultravox Brave Evil Rumours' by Paul Rambali which appeared in the NME on 13th August '77.

#34553 10/09/07 04:00 PM
Does anyone have any idea of the date of the Marquee gig that gave us the performance of 'Young Savage' that appeared on the 'Live Retro' EP?

Rob?

P.S. Good to see Stevie Shears' guitar solo on TWTBATD from the Rainbow getting a full airing on the remastered 'Ultravox!'; it was criminally edited on vinyl...

#34554 10/09/07 11:34 PM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
My instinct tells me this was the last song to be added to the EP and comes from the classic show on December 31st 1977.
I have a boot of this (I think) so will check.
Otherwise, one of the three nights in June just after the single was released?

I don't have the Retro EP. Scott, would you agree with these other track dates?

TMWDED - Huddersfield Poly, October 6 1977
TWTWBATD - Rainbow, Feb 19 1977
My Sex - Huddersfield Poly, October 6 1977

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#34555 10/24/07 03:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
Thanks Sarah - they sure did.
6th February according to the archive:

http://www.metamatic.com/zLivedocs01/19780206.html

I've also just turned up a reference in a blog by someone claiming to have seen Ultravox! supporting BeBopDeluxe in 1976?

Any Bill Nelson fans cast any light on this?
that is amazing, Birdsong. ultravox! supporting be bop deluxe in 1976!

love bill nelson's music. a CD of his arrived just yesterday, the "sailor bill" CD. he's so prolific. too prolific, maybe. so very foxx-like in his trajectory. i always thought they had a certain similar way of seeing and expressing themselves via lyrics. maybe similar isn't the word. they're both from compatible music perspectives. maybe that's it.

about ten years ago, i had a fairly long chat with bill when he was in san francisco. he was very gracious w/his time. at some point, i got to the subject of john foxx. we talked about foxx for a while and bill really HEAPED the praise on -- on both foxx's music and the artwork and graphics. he even arched his eyebrows, smiled and shook his head, i remember. i asked him if they'd collaborate on music. there was some talk about foxx giving a reading at one of bill's "invisibility exhibition" things. anyway, the suggestion stopped him for a while. "i never thought of that," he said. "what would i do?," he asked. i wasn't sure what he meant. i've always thought that bill's e-bow would go well with certain people's voices and music, like foxx's.

#34556 01/27/08 07:35 PM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Just to confirm I have recently had correspendence from the venue itself confirming that Ultravox did play a gig in support of The Police during their 1979 US tour

Details as follows:
Darby Gym, Grinell University, Des Moines, IOWA - 10 March 1979
This will be the show referred to by Warren in his interview with Jonas Warstad.

I KNEW I'd find it. laugh

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#34557 02/18/08 12:03 AM
Quote:
Just to confirm I have recently had correspendence from the venue itself confirming that Ultravox did play a gig in support of The Police during their 1979 US tour

Details as follows:
[b]Darby Gym, Grinell University, Des Moines, IOWA - 10 March 1979

This will be the show referred to by Warren in his interview with Jonas Warstad.
I KNEW I'd find it. laugh [/b]
Off topic a little but I was suprised to see Jonas's name here on the Foxx site,He originaly set up the Billy MacKenzie fan forum I now help moderate before passing it on to Francois to concentrate on the Yello fan forum

#34558 02/24/08 12:11 PM
F
F
Quote:
August 21 1977

Oostende, Netherlands.
Ultravox! (with Livin' Blues and Water support prog rockers Caravan.

Can anyone confirm this?

http://calyx.club.fr/caravan/chrono.html
Martin,

got to read this by accident again...excuse me for the late answer.
If it was Oostende, it isn't in the Netherlands.
Oostende is a city in Belgium (Flanders).
No idea if they actually played there laugh

greetings from r'dam,
fons

#34559 02/24/08 07:40 PM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
that would be right. Oops. And me a cartographer eek

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.