Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Telekon Offline OP
OP Offline
T
There are at least 3 Vox tunes that I wish were included on the recent Japanese re-releases that are at youtube: "TV Orphans," "I Won't Play Your Game," & "I Came Back Here (it says 'Hear' at the site) to Meet You."

J
J
Did the band ever make studio recordings of these? If so, I'm surprised they weren't included on the ULTRAVOX! remaster along with the other bonus tracks. Maybe John just didn't think they were very good. Still, as a completist/fan, I'd love to have them.

There's a pretty good explanation as to what did and didn't go on the recent re-releases on the EV website here . If you have a look at that, it may answer a lot of your questions and why things didn't get included...

All the best

EG
x

J
J
Ah, I see now. Thanks for the link, E.G. Maybe these will turn up (if they haven't already) on a bootleg or two.

T
Telekon Offline OP
OP Offline
T
That blows....over an album's worth of material that may or may not reach our loyal fan base unless Island decides to release it. Maybe we can petition.

J
J
Record companies never cease to amaze me. Let's be honest; John Foxx is a cult artist with a small but incredibly loyal fan base. We'd all shell out big bucks for this material, so Island's shooting itself in the foot by keeping the masters stashed away. If they were smart, they'd release a limited edition CD (500 to 1,000 copies) of this material to placate the rabid fans.

Quote:
Originally posted by Telekon:
That blows....over an album's worth of material that may or may not reach our loyal fan base unless Island decides to release it. Maybe we can petition.
It may 'blow', but if you read the EV item carefully, it was because the band decided not to release it, not Island. As for petitioning, this was done on everyone's behalf by EV - I would have thought it unlikely your strategy of petitioning would be successful. Sorry.

frown

EG
x

Quote:
Originally posted by John Foxxworthy:
Record companies never cease to amaze me. Let's be honest; John Foxx is a cult artist with a small but incredibly loyal fan base. We'd all shell out big bucks for this material, so Island's shooting itself in the foot by keeping the masters stashed away. If they were smart, they'd release a limited edition CD (500 to 1,000 copies) of this material to placate the rabid fans.
I'm not so sure. I think you're wrong to say that people would shell out 'big bucks' for this (generally, people who say they would rarely will). On TP recently, a question was asked that was connected to concert ticket prices - if Ultravox reformed tomorrow, what would the maximum people would be prepared to pay to see a line up of their preference. 'How much would be too much?' for a dream concert - and would that be flexible given a firm stance on 'astronomical' pricing? £50 max was one of the few replies. As I say, a small number may do, but generally people will not pay out 'big bucks'.

Island have been smart enough to keep an interest in the back catalogue, but given the labels main act is U2, I can't imagine they'd revisit re-releasing a re-release ever again. It's not cost effective for them. Although I can see you point of why releasing a limited edition of something may keep some people happy is an attractive idea to the fans, the downside is that there's always a case where one (or several) 'rabid fan' will want more than what is on offer - or moan when they are not able to get hold of the copies they want. If the band has decided not to release this stuff (and if you read the EV item, as I've pointed out, it was the band who made that decision, not Island), then we as fans have to respect their decision and reasoning (whatever that was), as Island did, not to do so.

EG
x

J
J
"However, a consensus of opinion could not be reached on whether unreleased material that had not previously been made available should be included on these CDs. In deference to this, Island made the decision to remaster and release only what has been previously available."

With this passage in mind, I concluded that Island, not the band, rejected the extra bonus tracks. The passive construction "a consensus of opinion could not be reached" is a little ambiguous.

I'm surprised the band disliked the songs. Oh, well. The remasters are great without them.

Hi JFw
Quote:
"However, a consensus of opinion could not be reached on whether unreleased material that had not previously been made available should be included on these CDs. In deference to this, Island made the decision to remaster and release only what has been previously available."

With this passage in mind, I concluded that Island, not the band, rejected the extra bonus tracks. The passive construction "a consensus of opinion could not be reached" is a little ambiguous.
Reading between lines is always a tricky task at the best of times. However, in this case, I'm with EG in reading the passage as indicating that it was the band not reaching consensus that is the reason for Island deferring to release the tracks in question. If that is the case, Island would likely have been on dodgy ground releasing material unapproved by it's originators.

Further to what both EG and Rob & Cerise have indicated, record labels still have to invest in a full remastering process for any tracks for re-issues. Further, there is the question of running times for the albums. Extra tracks may mean extra discs, different packaging etc. All has a knock-on financial effect that has to be weighed against possible return of investment.

As to why the various members could not reach decision, the same puzzler may be faced by anyone in any field of life that has to make decisions as to what to go forward with, and what not.

Fairly clearly the tracks weren't released back in the '70's for various reasons known only to the band and label. That they weren't released originally may indicate their merit to those parties.

Personally, - semi-completist though I am - from what I've heard of them, they do seem a little derivative of other music of the time and not as 'original' in content as the other tacks we've come to know down the years.

Just a (long-ish) thought, anyhoo.

Merry Xmas! One and all smile

smile

J
J
I understand and respect the band's decision and Rob and Cerise's efforts in getting the CDs re-released. I'm also aware of the logistics surrounding a reissue.

Bonus tracks are tricky. Many fans want the extra material, but you also have to consider and respect the band's original intentions; maybe Foxx and the boys just didn't like the idea of, say, "My Sex" seguing into "TV Orphans" on the reissue. I'm okay with that. Still, as an obsessive nut, I hope the remaining tracks will eventually see the light of day. smile

Quote:
The passive construction "a consensus of opinion could not be reached" is a little ambiguous.
Intentionally so, I'm afraid. Some band members were in favour, others not; we didn't want to reveal any specifics in case of blame-slinging, particularly as the band visit these forums (more than would appear). wink

J
J
Eek. eek For the record, that Warren Cann is one handsome fellow. Also, Midge's sideburns are looking mighty lovely as of late.

But seriously, I'm a little surprised the band reads forums like these. If I were them, I'd find reading about myself unbearable. I guess they've had more practice than I have.

Nice to finally meet you, by the way, Cerise. I've seen your name scattered about for years now.

T
Telekon Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Quote:
Originally posted by E. G. Ekin:
Quote:
[b] That blows....over an album's worth of material that may or may not reach our loyal fan base unless Island decides to release it. Maybe we can petition.
It may 'blow', but if you read the EV item carefully, it was because the band decided not to release it, not Island. As for petitioning, this was done on everyone's behalf by EV - I would have thought it unlikely your strategy of petitioning would be successful. Sorry.

frown

EG
x [/b]
Understood...I re-read it thoroughly and my brain must have shut off at certain points during my initial vising, in which I was looking for this key phrase: "these unreleased tunes will be released in a couple weeks or at that kooky guy in Los Angeles's discretion" or something to that effect. As for my declaration: "let's petition," it's just a passionate reply. Finally, as for the preceding sentence in this paragraph, I hope to slip more obscure Foxx/Vox references into future posts.

Cheers, and thanks to all who clarified the thread.

Quote:
Nice to finally meet you, by the way, Cerise. I've seen your name scattered about for years now.
Nice to meet you too! laugh

Quote:
"these unreleased tunes will be released in a couple weeks or at that kooky guy in Los Angeles's discretion"
And the "kooky guy in Los Angeles" in question is...? smile

Mrs. X

T
Telekon Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Quote:
Originally posted by Mrs. X:
Quote:
[b]"these unreleased tunes will be released in a couple weeks or at that kooky guy in Los Angeles's discretion"
And the "kooky guy in Los Angeles" in question is...? smile

Mrs. X [/b]
'Tis I! I live in Looped Los Angeles.

J
J
I'm online friends with a girl who calls herself Telekon. When I met her, I assumed she was a guy. When I met you, I assumed you were a girl. The next Telekon I meet will be a hermaphrodite.

T
Telekon Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Quote:
I'm online friends with a girl who calls herself Telekon. When I met her, I assumed she was a guy. When I met you, I assumed you were a girl. The next Telekon I meet will be a hermaphrodite.
Random gender.

J
J
Ah, when I was a man and you were a woman...

Utility drag.

Mrs. X

T
Telekon Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Quote:
Originally posted by Mrs. X:
Utility drag.

Mrs. X
Ah! I knew it all along! We
ARE the Frozen Ones!!!!!

J
J
Actually, he's a liquid.

Are you sure he's not a Lonely Hunter or one of the Wide Boys?

Mrs. X

I just ate a big red candle.

Not a Foxx lyric...but don't you just wish he'd write a song around it?

smile

J
J
John Foxx and Bill Nelson are responsible for some of the oddest song titles in history. I get the feeling some arty type walks up to them and says, "I bet you $10 you can't write a song with the title 'Radiant Nature Knows Not The Workers' Sorrow.'"

Quote:
I bet you $10 you can't write a song with the title 'Radiant Nature Knows Not The Workers' Sorrow.'"
Au contraire, M. JF-worthy.

Let's consider the probem.

For a song to exist - and work - some bits would have to rhyme...preferably the last word of the aforementioned...with other words in the song...

So: 'sorrow'

Give us:

Borrow

Follow

Hollow

Wallow

At a push we could expand to similar-ish words:

Tomorrow

Domino
(...a brief pause in tribute to Keira Knightly...mmm...Oh!, and Domino Harvey...and her dad, Laurence...and little Monolith-shaped wood things with dots on...)

At the absolute outside, one could go completely Marlon Brando and extend to:

Jeff Morrow (he who played the spectacularly-foreheaded 'Exeter' in the 1955 scifi 'classic' 'This Island Earth'. You know, it's always escaped me why a man would chose to play a small English town...and with a really big forehead...)

So: problem solved!

Not only is such a song feasible...it'd be really easy!

You youngsters give up on things soooooo easily nowadays!

M'lud, the Defence rests.

smile

J
J
Radiant nature knows not the workers' sorrow
Drooling at the teets of the luscious Charo

Bill's song is without lyrics, but I think I just improved upon it.

Radiant nature knows not the workers' sorrow
For where will he be when he wakes up tomorrow?

laugh

Mrs. X

H
H
"Radiant nature knows not the workers' sorrow
Foxx blazed a trail and Numan followed"

(Do we get Numanoids on here much? If so, I'm off....) ;-)

J
J
(Do we get Numanoids on here much? If so, I'm off....)

Well, then you'd best be off. wink

I love John and Gary, though the former has eclipsed the latter on my favorites list.

Hmm. Bit of a Numanoid here, too.

I still maintain that my (thankfully brief) blue hair period was the result of a food-dye accident, though.

Oh, just noticed my avatar! Thanks, Rob.

Quote:
Originally posted by NerveJam:
Oh, just noticed my avatar! Thanks, Rob.
Actually 'twas me, but that's OK 'cos Rob and I are really one person. Not many people know that... wink

So thanks to you both for sorting mine!!
Oh!!
And another Noid here!
(Well,A Numan fan at least,and I see quite a few here smile )

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.