Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
OP Offline
T
Mine arrived today so perhaps it is time to relocate discussions from the thread in the announcements.

While smaller (and thinner) than I was hoping for wink , it is a beautifully designed package, with a few images appearing in print for the first time?(although no doubt they are represented on the DVD at some point.) Texts are limited to 6 - presumably those that were used in the postcard set but someone else will be able to confirm this.

I would say it is worth picking up cheap (and it is relatively cheap already!).

Of course, if you lean in, everything looks bigger - use your zoom lens and imagine it is A4 size.

The Archive
The Archive
Quote:
Originally posted by the church puddle:
Texts are limited to 6 - presumably those that were used in the postcard set but someone else will be able to confirm this.
Yup, the text on the inside is taken from the Limited Edition Cathedral Oceans postcards that came with issue sixteen of Extreme Voice.

Quote:
Originally posted by the church puddle:
I would say it is worth picking up cheap (and it is relatively cheap already!).
At only £15.99, I would also say that it's exceptionally good value ...

Rob

Yeah Right ...I have stopped buying JF stuff now ...Bored to tears with re issues .

It's only £12.67 on Amazon today. smile

C
C
Got mine earlier this week, but to be honest I've had no time to really digest it, it took two days before I got around to getting the shrinkwrap off, and boy, what a nice package laugh I'm still liking the white (and black) design look which has become John's palette of choice over recent years, and C.O. Complete fits in nicely with that aesthetic. The printing quality has a satin sheen rather than a high glossy one, the images are crisp, and the type layout is well balanced, and everything is presented in the style of a mini book.

I have one gripe though about the packaging, which is no reflection on this excellent release from John, maybe its a reflection on my anal nature, its open to debate, but my gripe is about the nature of this style of card container.

The sleeves that are stuck to the front and back hardcovers really don't leave a lot of flexibility for the easy removal of the discs, and when I finally managed to prise out the DVD which is in the rear sleeve, I noticed that it had two very long and obvious straight scorelines on its play surface running from edge to centre, also there was a hard flake of something stuck to the disc which took a really good cleaning to remove, glue from the card seals perhaps? I hate digipaks, and this was a reminder why, as the scorelines are no doubt the result of whoever had to force the disc into the sharp edged card sleeve in the first instance. It puts me off struggling to get the DVD in and out, sure, for future use I could put it in a separate jewel case, but then its divorced from the C.O. mini book :rolleyes:

I've just seen it for the first time in HMV (at a whopping £26!). The package/print look quite lovely, but it is disappointingly small.

I can't imagine the format doing justice to John's beautiful, intricate artwork. I'm happy to stick with my original CO book and CDs.

Administrator
Administrator
The same price in HMV Southampton, but I thought it looked utterly gorgeous!

I can even forgive the unnecessarily large initial capitals on the back... wink

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
H
H
Quote:
Originally posted by RobTim:
Yeah Right ...I have stopped buying JF stuff now ...Bored to tears with re issues .
I have to agree with that. However good Cathedral Oceans is, at the end of the day we're being asked to buy again three albums we already own in slightly different packaging. As I think I said elsewhere, a bonus album of unreleased CO tracks would possibly have swayed me but as it stands it's another pointless exercise in "repurposing", just as the Cinemascope boxset was last year.

Quote:
Originally posted by Herbert the turbot:
As I think I said elsewhere, a bonus album of unreleased CO tracks
I think we kind of had that with the majority of My Lost City.

Personally I'm just waiting for the Maths album and lyrical songs again. Until then, I'm not interested in performances and repackaging.

Never thought I'd find myself typing as such, but sadly, I've just lost interest for the time being.

Administrator
Administrator
You probably concur with this review then, Alex:

http://www.thelineofbestfit.com/2010/11/john-foxx-d-n-a/

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.