Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#34390 08/06/10 08:48 AM
Alex S Offline OP
OP Offline
I've just discovered this project dedicated to photographing and archiving the fading signage, painted directly on to the brickwork of old shops and factory buildings.

I thought the whole thing was quite "Foxxian."

Advertisements painted by hand directly onto the brickwork of buildings were once a common sight in cities, towns and villages across the country. The rise of printed billboards soon led to their decline but many still survive, often faded, clinging to the walls that host them. These ‘Ghostsigns’ provide a window into the past and evidence of the craftsmanship that once went into their production. However, they are disappearing fast, often due to weathering but also as a result of property development and demolition."

Ghostsigns

#34391 08/06/10 04:44 PM
Excellent, Alex! I have enjoyed these advertisements since I was a child. The same phenomenon is occurring here in the States as well. More Wikipedia info here .

#34392 08/09/10 08:13 PM
C
C
thanks both for posting, I had a look at various links. It has a lot of resonance for me too.

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.