Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Some very good responses on this thread, i'm with Birdsong, I would love to hear via interview disc or mp3 what John has to say about the various projects he is involved with, I think an interview of some form or another would be an interesting addition to an album release, i'm surprised more artists have n't taken advantage of doing this.

Regards future stuff i'm looking for a genuinly good follow up to TPOE as for me that would complete an interesting trilogy as TPOE seems to work as a progression on from "Metamatic".

Personally, compilations aside TPOE is the last Foxx album that I would regard as a classic.

Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
One question for you regarding NOT getting any interviews that might be made available is - would you therefore still expect to find out or otherwise learn about what John actually has to say in these interviews?
Hmm. Maybe not - it would really depend on what the subject or album theme the interview was, and in what medium!

I can genuinely say that for the likes of Mirrorball, MSL or IMW, I'm not the least bit interested, given that the albums in question don't do anything for me.

I personally find listening to the spoken word, whether it be interview or story, a difficult thing. Firstly to find the time, secondly to be in the right environment to concentrate and appreciate it.

When it comes to interviews, I still favour text. I remember just how much I genuinely enjoyed catching up on all the JF interviews when Extreme Voice was made available as PDFs.

I would however, love to see one document, digital or printed, with an interview/transcript of an interview per album. Perhaps excluding the live ones. That would be a nice thing to have.

Some albums still have an air of intrigue about them - take TPOE or Shifting City as two examples. No sleeve notes as such, beyond the lyrics or who did what - and particularly in the case of TPOE, no interviews that go more in-depth about the making of the album, the ideas and inspiration etc. I suppose the closest thing we've got was included in the Sideways interview CD.

Administrator
Administrator
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:

I can genuinely say that for the likes of Mirrorball, MSL or IMW, I'm not the least bit interested, given that the albums in question don't do anything for me.
You've not got heard IMW either?? eek eek

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:

Although if John were to offer snippets of new work-in-progress tracks as previews on MySpace, then that would be interesting.
The problem with that, I suspect, is that John Foxx is ALWAYS recording new material and has lots of 'work-in-progress' - he has done throughout his career and it's probably no different now. So much of this never gets beyond that stage, work is shelved, abandoned, repurposed or even recorded but not released - and John would have no idea at the time its a work in progress how far it was going to go.
He may simply just not like it any more, or change his mind etc.

Better for this to come out retrospectively so his merchandisable prodcut and pedigree is not littered with half-finished demos all over the internet

Then he - well, Rob and Steve - would be inundated with 'what happened to this' and 'when is that coming out', which is entriely counter-productive.

Apart from the fact that its far more interesting and exciting to hear new material when its finished on an album than to know what to expect and what it sounds like months in advance

Hey - we're going off topic. Isn't this thread about 'interviews'?

http://www.cine-city.co.uk/2006/podcasts/2.mp3

http://k-punk.abstractdynamics.org/archives/008432.html

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
I have got IMW.

In fact it was the second JF CD I bought back in 2001. Disliked it so much, I took it back and exchanged it for The Garden.

Several years later, I re-bought it.

Still not keen at all.

But I have it! smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
Then he - well, Rob and Steve - would be inundated with 'what happened to this' and 'when is that coming out', which is entriely counter-productive.
Isn't that already the case?! :p

G
G
WTF?!?

If you just want music, buy accordingly. If you're into background, get your dirty fingers on everything that bears the correct name. Your choice. If you're yelling "I bought a CD labelled "interviews", and it only contains interviews!", you've probably been drunk and have no right for compensation.

Oh well, I should probably read the thread before posting.

Quote:
Originally posted by Grueslayer:
WTF?!?

If you just want music, buy accordingly. If you're into background, get your dirty fingers on everything that bears the correct name. Your choice. If you're yelling "I bought a CD labelled "interviews", and it only contains interviews!", you've probably been drunk and have no right for compensation.

Oh well, I should probably read the thread before posting.
I think you should, that was just a load of nonsense. :rolleyes:

Q
Q
(sorry not been around for a while, folks)
Can I simply proffer my aesthetic for liking JF audio interviews.There was a young woman who worked in my office up until a few years ago.Whenever I heard her voice an all-encompassing joy would flood my senses.She could be talking about anything and the same sensation recurred.I get that same sensation listening to John.I cannot explain it except to plead I may not know much about language/accents/timbre etc.etc.but I know what I like.
I feel sure I will be deconstructed till the cows come home after this one wink

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.