Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12
#33823 10/18/09 09:49 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Yes, there are some subtle differences.

I'll look them up later and post back

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#33824 10/18/09 12:44 PM
Due to a mix up on my part I have managed to get duplicate copies of the re-releases of 'A New Kind of Man' and 'Impossible'. Just so I am not totally out of pocket I am willing to sell both together for total cost of £11 inc UK p&p. If anyone is interested please send me a PM. Payment would be by PayPal.

#33825 10/18/09 10:29 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Quote:
Originally posted by Vox Humana:

However, "In The Glow" might as well be considered as 26 NEW tracks as they are fresh mixes, (of a FAR higher standard than the previous Edsel abridged release)

Hmmm... Fair point, butI don't think they count as NEW though, because nothing was ADDED during the remastering stage. I have 'decided' not to classify any remastered tracks as NEW versions, unless there is clearly some NEW bits added (or taken away...!)

Help me, I'm too, too sad... eek

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#33826 10/18/09 11:45 PM
True but these live tracks have been remixed not remastered.

The two are often confused so forgive me if explain the difference. You may well know already but I have no way of knowing this.

Remastering is where the stereo master tapes are given a good scrub up to make them louder, punchier and more vivid.

Remixing is a term used for two different types of process, (more confusion).

A traditional remix is where we go back to the multi-track tapes (which contain all the individual instruments isolated) and feed them back through a mixing desk and create a brand new stereo mix. In doing so, it allows much more creative control as each instrument can be modified in terms of level, brightness and depth (using effects to create artificial space... reverb etc.).

The results can often sound radically different as no two engineers, or indeed studio set-ups will create the same result. Use a better engineer and or more sophisticated studio and a superior final stereo mix can be created.

This is exactly what has happened with In the Glow. A double album of fresh new mixes which are "remixed".

The other kind of remix is not actually a remix as such, in fact a more accurate description would be a re-make, (version).

This is where "remixers" take a small part of an original recording from the multi-track, (just a vocal and a few key sounds) and create what is effectively a new song entirely themselves using their own instruments and sounds but laying the familiar elements of the material they were asked to "remix" over the top.

I hope that makes sense and doesn't serve to cloud the issue further smile

#33827 10/19/09 11:54 AM
I've just seen TPOE and Shifting City looking rather smart in HMV. £12 though! They're making quite a mark up.

In the meantime, my copy has been dispatched! cool

#33828 10/19/09 02:05 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Alex - you beat me to it!

I have just picked these up from HMV in Southampton.
They also had Impossible, but I'm not going to buy a new edition of that.

No sign of In The Glow...?

Still on sale too - double disc copies of all five Virgin era albums and Mirrorball

#33829 10/19/09 02:37 PM
HMV in SHeffield also had Glimmer, Metamatic and Mirrorball - not bad, considering the last time I checked, the "John Foxx" section only consisted of a plastic label!

I noticed staples in the Shifting City and TPOE booklets, which was a reassuring sign smile

#33830 10/19/09 04:44 PM
C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
...Shifting City looking rather smart in HMV.
Shifting City once again on the racks in HMV,

its like coming full circle smile

#33831 10/19/09 05:39 PM
Yeah! That means there'll be an Exotour soon! wink

#33832 10/19/09 05:44 PM
The Archive
The Archive
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
I noticed staples in the Shifting City and TPOE booklets, which was a reassuring sign smile
Both Shifting City and The Pleasures of Electricity include full lyrics...

Rob

Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.