Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12
#33793 09/30/09 01:46 PM
John in the left ear, Louis in the right!

#33794 10/14/09 10:36 AM
so has anyone heard the new TPOE yet, are the four remixes radical and what are the 2 extra tracks like? i decided not to order this at the moment, but maybe i have to get it later...

#33795 10/14/09 11:29 AM
No, the release date got pushed back to the 19th.

#33796 10/14/09 04:53 PM
C
C
a couple of weeks ago I decided to pre-order TPOE from another supplier other than Townsend as it was cheaper, just recieved this email:

"Foxx, John & Louis Gordon - Pleasures Of Electricity, The
Format: 2 Piece CD.
After repeated attempts we have been unable to source this item and have been advised by the distributor the item is not available. Your order has been automatically cancelled, and any payment has been refunded"

a lame supplier? laugh or can we be running out of copies already! eek

#33797 10/15/09 07:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by core memory:
a couple of weeks ago I decided to pre-order TPOE from another supplier other than Townsend as it was cheaper, ..
Would be interested to know who that supplier is core! eek

#33798 10/15/09 08:31 AM
C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by MemberD:
Would be interested to know who that supplier is core! eek
with not wishing to infer anything about their effectiveness, it is Powerplaydirect. I looked through my old emails before posting this and found that I've only had one order with them before, in early January I ordered a CD (No, not John! and again, listed as cheaper than other competitors).
4 times they kept re-ordering it, until I got really fed up waiting and decided to cancel it myself at the end of Feburary.
I was able to obtain the CD a week later from another supplier smile

#33799 10/15/09 08:45 AM
Ok thanks. wink

#33800 10/15/09 08:51 AM
I pre-ordered TPOE for £7.79 from Amazon. It was a similar price on Play.com too I think.

#33801 10/15/09 09:44 AM
C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
I pre-ordered TPOE for £7.79 from Amazon.
yes, I too have now rushed down the Jungle route!

I’m still a bit disappointed about the Shifting City release not being in the same vein as the TPOE ‘Plus’, and I don’t have any enthusiasm to purchase it (other than if I’d never already owned the '98 edition), is it unfair of me to say this? that I am disappointed...

Do we have any right to expect that John might have offered us something more with the original album, along the lines of a revision (maybe too strong a word), after all, what reason should he have to go back over a completed work. Am I now just expecting that he might have done so because I’ve been a bit ‘spoiled’, well, he started the ball rolling with all of his tinkering in releases over the last few years, and I’ve certainly got a huge amount from that (thanks John smile ), but perhaps he’s just eager to move on to other things now.

#33802 10/15/09 10:17 AM
We're all free to feel how we want - elated, disappointed, frustrated or satisfied!

And yes, we have been spoiled!!

But to be quite honest, I had pretty much lost interest in John's output earlier this year.

Whilst I enjoyed My Lost City, I found it had limited appeal. I was extremely disappointed and frustrated at all with A Secret Life, and Mirrorball held no interest for me whatsoever.

I haven't even got round to The Quiet Man yet. Somehow, the spark went out, and that's quite a frustrating and somewhat unexpected state to be in, as somebody so usually passionate about John's music.

"Do we have the right...?"

Of course we do! smile

Whenever talk of a reissue comes along, I guess there is always hope that it will offer something new, in addition to encourage us to buy it again, if it's an album we already owned. The main thing with Shifting City though, was the fact that a lot of fans haven't been able to get the album, having perhaps missed it at the time of release, and there's this glaring hole in their collection, where an important album fits. That gap will at last be filled!

As I rarely play my Shifting City CD, I don't feel the need to re-buy it. I have it on my iPod/iTunes and with a volume boost, and it sounds just great. I can understand the frustration of having nothing "new" on the Shifting City remaster, but I would guess that there probably wasn't anything previously unheard, or worth including at least. In one sense, a remaster only has to be just that... anything else is a bonus.

And as we've all said, TPOE didn't "need" remastering, but as my favourite Foxx/Gordon album, I am very keen to hear the differences, and for me what makes it all the more worthwhile, is the inclusion of two unreleased tracks.

I get the feeling that maybe there were some tracks on TPOE that maybe John was never fully satisfied with, and has taken this opportunity to refine those, and I can understand that. I guess it's just a bit odd as a listener, when you've been used to an album for almost a decade, to suddenly have parts of it changed. But like I said, I'm looking forward to it, regardless, and it will no doubt re-invigourate my interest in John's music.

Plus, it does sound like there is some new, more electronic-based music on the horizon. It's been a while since Sideways and I think I've been having withdrawl symptoms!

Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.