Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12
#33773 09/16/09 09:31 AM
H
H
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
I doubt we'll be disappointed!
I rather fear we may be. For me TPOE is a reasonable if not great JF album but has suffered from one or two drawbacks that I'd hoped the new remixes would have rectified.

Namely that
1. The instrumental backing gets a bit samey after a bit and a lot of the tracks don't really develop as they should.
2. John's vocals sound a bit lacklustre at times and some of the choruses are a bit weak, consisting of little more than John repeating the song title through a vocoder.
3. Some of the songs are too long and could do with a bit of editing down - Nightlife and Camera in particular.

So perhaps had John rerecorded some of the vocals, added some new synth parts and maybe changed some of the sounds (all fairly easy to do with a computer based set up like the one John and Louis use), I would be looking forward far more to this release. I appreciate not everyone will agree, but if you don't like the new versions you can always go back to playing the old ones!

#33774 09/16/09 10:02 AM
H
H
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Roby:
From myspace :

Quote:
Just to clarify, the Foxx/Gordon Pleasures of Electricity album has been remastered for the new reissue (due out in October) but there are only four tracks on CD1 of the double edition which have been significantly remixed - 'Nightlife', 'Invisible Women', 'Cities of Light 5' and 'Automobile'. Although they feature new sounds and in some cases additional arrangements, they were remixed in the context of the album, so that's why they're not just added as 'extras' in the package.
Interestingly the listing at Townsend has now changed.

http://www.townsend-records.co.uk/product.php?pId=10003500&pType=1

I'm sure that last time I looked all the tracks on CD1 were shown as "2009 remix" but now just the four tracks listed above are shown as "alternative mix" while the others are not shown as being any different from the original versions. Which rather begs the question why it needs to be a 2CD set when 7 of the songs appear to be duplicated on both discs?

#33775 09/16/09 10:30 AM
Yeah, I found that annoying and disappointing.

This release simply ought to have been one disc - the remastered version with the four remixed track, plus the two unreleased tracks as bonus material.

Although it's still superb value for money, did it really need to be a two disc set? It just seems a bit silly.

I hope the artwork is expanded.

#33776 09/16/09 12:05 PM
C
C
Phew, I’ve become increasingly more confused about last weeks TPOE 2009 reissue announcement, and also since listening to the ‘version’ of A Funny Thing on myspace.

I’ve been longing to experience TPOE afresh, and not played any of it in a long time having been very impressed by the version of Cities Of Light on last years Giimmer, I wanted to wait for the “complete” remix of an album that now I must have only imagined was happening.

I just don’t understand why the 7 tracks that have not been remixed would therefore equal out to why any of the album needed to be remastered/re-issued in the first place. From my (uninformed) point of view I never had any ‘technical’ problem with its quality, just rather more the art or intention behind the manner of some of the compositions.

TPOE as an album is one of those affairs that I really want to fall in love with completely, and Its hard not to be responsive to the promise it contains, but I always used to stumble over one or two little things. Don’t get me wrong here, as an album its concept works beautifully and it has some undeniably atmospheric and romantic tracks: When It Rains, Quiet City, and Camera (to name a few), but some of the vocal parts throughout in places grate a little for me (though its surprising how quickly I stopped noticing that) and I would still welcome an overall ‘revisiting’ of the work.

When I listened to A Funny Thing on myspace last week, and this was before reading the announcement that there were only four remixed tracks, I genuinely thought that this particular track had actually been remixed, it sounded fantastic, so much better than I remembered, certainly more poignant and less maudlin (as I may have said in a post last year). It just goes to show how things can ‘mature’ more positively on the mind over the passage of time, or maybe listening to it through earphones brought out more subtleties, and an intimacy in the song for me that I’d failed to notice, (previously I would have been listening to it from across the other side of a room).

So, why should I now be excited at the 2009 reissue? has anything at all been done to the other 7 tracks, no compositional changes obviously, but has a vocal part been brought forward or pushed back even slightly, does that constitute as a ‘remix’ or just a plain old 'remaster'. Why am I buying TPOE for only 4 reworked tracks, plus an extra disc to duplicate and make redundant the one I already have? also, surely John might have at least wanted to consider taking the opportunity to remix the music to Invisible Women laugh

#33777 09/16/09 12:41 PM
It used to be an album of two halves for me, the first few, being the weaker, outshined by such emotive and cinematic pieces such as "When It Rains" or "Quiet City".

But over time the whole thing grew on me, and I gradually started to love the nostalgia of "Camera" and the urban romanticism of "Uptown/Downtown".

"A Funny Thing" still makes me wonder... a thought provoking track of which the story behind it still intrigues me. Likewise, but in a totally different mood for "The Falling Room". One day I'll ask John just what on Earth this track is about!

"A Funny Thing" and "Uptown/Downtown" are two tracks that I always felt lacked substance to my ears - but they're not the ones that have been given the remix treatment! it will be interesting to hear any difference in the general remastered tracks and obviously see just how different the remixed ones are - by the sound of it. some just have the odd bleep added, while others might be significantly different.

"Nightlife" puzzles me. I thought the original version was fine. Then along came the LFAR version with the lovely second half. Will this just be a new "studio" version of that, or something different entirely?

I guess we'll see. Above all, it's still my favourite John Foxx album and I look forward to falling in love with it all over again.

Hopefully.

It'll be interesting to see (or hear), whether hearing a new version works for me in the way the original did. LIke many fans, I've had that album since it came out, so a "new" version (sorry, partially new), might receive a lukewarm reception at first!

#33778 09/16/09 02:30 PM
C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by core memory:
surely John might have at least wanted to consider taking the opportunity to remix the music to Invisible Women
laugh laugh laugh

I really should read this thread/the myspace blog more clearly, all these reissues have blinded my vision and I failed to notice that 'Invisible Women' is indeed one of those 4 remixed tracks.

Poor old Automobile, I love the original, hope Johns not going to 'Pimp My Ride' with this one, I'd hate to see a fantasy airbrush paint job, embroidered seats, and fluffy dice hanging from the windscreen!

#33779 09/16/09 03:57 PM
LOL! I bet it's got those tacky blue lights from underneath too!!

But I agree - the original was superb. It was its simplicity that made it work so well I felt.

#33780 09/17/09 08:31 AM
The two remasters and In The Glow are all £1 cheaper on Play.com and have free delivery!

Certainly not complaining, but I wonder how some sites manage to do this with a product that's already a very reasonable price.

#33781 09/17/09 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
The two remasters and In The Glow are all £1 cheaper on Play.com and have free delivery!

Certainly not complaining, but I wonder how some sites manage to do this with a product that's already a very reasonable price.
I've bought off them in the past - the CDs are shipped from Jersey or Guernsey or somewhere like that and so I think that's how they avoid VAT or something. I bought some books which were shipped from New Zealand .....

#33782 09/17/09 11:54 AM
Blimey! I naff off for a week and all hell breaks loose! Typical!

Will definiteley pick up the re-issues of Shifting City and TPOE, and I'm really looking forward to hearing In The Glow...but...

Impossible re-issue??? Why? Just to tweak a track? That sounds insane? I can't believe that's a reason to reissue an entire album. 'Popular demand' sure but revisionism? And then there's the whole ANKOM debacle - wha? I thought Sideways was getting re-issued as a single disc too - has that come out?

I have to take a deep breath and realise that...Townsend aren't stupid...which leads me to think that there must be demand for these reissues...which makes me wonder "who's creating demand for these reissues?"

Obviously us forum members are just a small percentage of Foxx's fanbase and judging by comments not many of us are fussed about the re-pressing of Impossible, ANKOM and Sideways.

So for Townsend to repress these (a minimum of 1000 each I guess?) there must be demand - is the fanbase expanding that much? So much so that two albums issued within the last year or so (ANKOM / Impossible) can be repressed already?

Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.