Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12
#33743 09/10/09 01:58 PM
OP Offline
Okay, yes, I am going to order all three new releases (In the Glow and the expanded reissues of Shifting City and The Pleasures of Electricity), even though I'm still unemployed. But I'd really hoped there would be more previously unreleased material. The only new track on Shifting City is a demo of Shadow Man. There are two new songs on Pleasures of Electricity. And that's it. In the Glow and disc 2 of Shifting City are basically an expanded reissue of the Golden Section Tour/Omnidelic Exotour double CD from 2003.

I am curious about The Pleasures of Electricity, though... if the original version is being included as part of disc 2, that would seem to suggest that the remixing is fairly radical.

I'm very happy that we had four new albums earlier this year, but we must ask ourselves, is that really enough new material? Can we really just be satisfied with the treasure trove that is My Lost City, the beautifully icy soundscapes of A Secret Life, the moving and melodic Mirrorball, and the haunting experience that is The Quiet Man?

#33744 09/10/09 05:50 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Roby:
But I'd really hoped there would be more previously unreleased material.
Perhaps there isn't any??

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Roby:

Can we really just be satisfied with the treasure trove that is My Lost City, the beautifully icy soundscapes of A Secret Life, the moving and melodic Mirrorball, and the haunting experience that is The Quiet Man?
Sure we can.

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#33745 09/10/09 06:00 PM
H
H
Well I shall not be buying any of these, I don't think. I can see that reissuing 'Shifting City' and 'PoE' is good for those who couldn't get hold of them and the live album will appeal to a few.

But I am a bit annoyed that the Impossible and 'ANKOM' albums are being reissued when they were originally sold as limited editions. It seems like the 'limited edition' tag is bandied around willy-nilly these days, presumably to wring out a few extra sales from the eBay crowd. Integrity, it would seem, is a malleable commodity.

#33746 09/10/09 06:35 PM
Yippeeeee! I'm finally going to get my grubby little mits on a copy of Shifting City laugh

I've waited a long time for this, and I know I am not alone.

#33747 09/10/09 06:43 PM
C
C
I'm very excited about getting TPOE Special Edition, due to the '2009' remixes, (and great to see the original mixes remaining with the issue and on a second disc) but I'm very disappointed to see that Shifting City Special Edition has not been presented in a similar vein, and contains no '2009' remixes.

Why not? I thought that was the whole point of re-releasing it, giving those of us who were lucky enough to have the original something new in perspective, and also completing the picture for those who missed out on John's unexpected musical re-appearance with the initial work frown

Halloway - I cant find any reference to the re-issue of the Impossible CD? (am I looking in the wrong place) smile

#33748 09/10/09 06:48 PM
OP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by core memory:
Halloway - I cant find any reference to the re-issue of the Impossible CD? (am I looking in the wrong place) smile
It's mentioned on the myspace blog. It'd be a nice gesture if the remix of "A Million Cars" could be provided by Townsend as a free mp3 for those of us who bought the original "limited edition" version of the album.

#33749 09/10/09 07:56 PM
T
T
With TPOE you get a complete remix along with the original album. Great! But has Shifting City been remastered? Because Townsend don't seem to say that it has, and that's the one that needed it more.

I also have to agree that the Shifting City bonus disc is a disappointment. Though on the plus side it's good to see Townsend doing both these double disc packages and Into The Glow for a very reasonable £8.99.

#33750 09/10/09 09:59 PM
OP Offline
I didn't notice if it's a preorder price or a buying in bulk deal, but the price Townsend actually charged me for the three CDs was £7.65 each.

#33751 09/10/09 10:09 PM
H
H

#33752 09/10/09 10:11 PM
H
H
Quote:
Originally posted by The Quiet Trees:
But has Shifting City been remastered? Because Townsend don't seem to say that it has, and that's the one that needed it more.
I don't know for certain but I think Shifting City will have been remastered rather than remixed. The remastering should fix the oft-reported problem of it simply being too quiet (although I thought that's what your volume knob is for!)

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.