Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
I have written my views on John's albums on my Quiet City website, which you may (or may not!) find helpful.

John's work from '97 onwards has been mostly electronic, and minimalistic in approach, using a lot of old analogue sounds. You'll hear a lot of Kraftwerk influence in the music. One way of describing an album such as Shifting City or The Pleasures of Electricity, is a continuation in sound and style from Metamatic.

If you're after a good melody, then I'm sure that From trash, The Pleasures of Electricity, Crash and Burn or Sideways will not disappoint, whichever you choose!

A
Adam L Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thanks Alex. The website is superb.

A
Adam L Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I went for 'From Trash'. Initial thoughts were that it was a bit too industrial. I had to adjust to a slightly gruffer vocal too. It's a more sort of violent sound than the '80s stuff, but it's growing on me fast. You can't argue with good songs, and this CD is full of 'em. In a way I'm relieved that he's still got it - and excited to hear more of his more modern records.

Favourites would have to be the opening title track. 'Freeze Frame' comes across like MC Hammer produced by Karl Bartos (in a good way). 'A Million Cars' is fab and I can't get 'The One Who Walks Through You' out of my head.

Special mention for the beautiful 'Never Let Me Go'. That's the 'Just For A Moment' moment right there.

Best,
+A

Quote:
Originally posted by Adam L:
I went for 'From Trash'. Initial thoughts were that it was a bit too industrial. I had to adjust to a slightly gruffer vocal too. You can't argue with good songs, and this CD is full of 'em. In a way I'm relieved that he's still got it - and excited to hear more of his more modern records.
Its always interesting to hear the views from fans who are not yet accustomed to John's later releases. Probably one of the most 'industrial' songs in later years is the title track from 'Crash And Burn', although this album has many varied style tracks. And as John sings on 'Once In A While' - "I take a break from everybody's expectations".

The Pleasures of Electricity might provide a nice contrast to From Trash - whilst still a very city-based album, it is much more emotive and somehow personal; a much deeper, thought provoking album in places.

A
Adam L Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
[b]The Pleasures of Electricity might provide a nice contrast to From Trash - whilst still a very city-based album, it is much more emotive and somehow personal; a much deeper, thought provoking album in places. [/b]
I'm already bidding on it on eBay!

Thanks Alex!

Best,
+A

Quote:
Originally posted by Adam L:
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
[b] [b]The Pleasures of Electricity might provide a nice contrast to From Trash - whilst still a very city-based album, it is much more emotive and somehow personal; a much deeper, thought provoking album in places. [/b]
I'm already bidding on it on eBay!
[/b]
That may well be one of mine, smile but either way, good luck!

Newvox, I see you haven't been taking Maryann's advice laugh

Quote:
Originally posted by newvox:
Im a 'too serious minimalist' and i always feel the need to sell the cds and not burn any in future for backup.
Quote:
Originally posted by maryann:
Please stop selling cds, K

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeG:
Newvox, I see you haven't been taking Maryann's advice laugh

Quote:
Originally posted by newvox:
[b]Im a 'too serious minimalist' and i always feel the need to sell the cds and not burn any in future for backup.
Quote:
Originally posted by maryann:
Please stop selling cds, K
[/b]
Wow, thats from some time back Mike. eek

M, look away now if you dont want to know the score. smile

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.