Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A
Adam L Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hello all.
I was a fan of Ultravox and John Foxx's music in the '80s, but after 'Mysterious Ways' came out and he went quiet (no pun intended) I never kept up with what he was doing. I've recently got back into those late '70s/early '80s records, but I've not bought any of his releases since then.

I'm now looking for a start point into his more recent releases ('97 onwards).

Is there a consensus amongst fans as to what is his best work from these post-80s albums?

Thanks,
Adam.

Opinion will doubtless differ but for my money go for 'From Trash' and 'Sideways' which he made with Louis Gordon. These are albums of songs, which I prefer to the more ambient stuff.

From Trash is my favorite. One of the best albums of his (or anyone else for that matter). Sideways is very good also.

I'd go for The Pleasures Of Electricity but basically anything with Louis Gordon.

M
M
I don't know about consensus, but if you ask me the best John Foxx record produced after 'In Mysterious Ways' is 'The Pleasures Of Electricity' by John Foxx & Louis Gordon. There is no question about it.

From the instrumental albums I prefer 'Tiny Color Movies'.

'Modern Art' or 'Glimmer' would be the best compilations, as a sample to foxx and Foxx/Gordon albums. My favourite foxx/gordon albums has to be 'From Trash' and 'The Pleasures Of Electricity'.

Everything post-1997 is worth a listen!

My personal favourites are The Pleasures of Electricity and From Trash.

Look out for the 6 disc box set Cinemascope which was released last year as a limited edition. If you are lucky you can get a copy anywhere. I don't know if it was sold out (Townsend records) but Amazon or E-bay could have copies too...

The box set includes :
Crash & Burn -with Louis Gordon
From Trash - with Louis Gordon
Electrofear - Nation 12
Tiny colour Movies - John solo
Cathedral Oceans 3 - John solo
Cathedral Oceans 3 DVD

This stuff gives you a good insight of John's different music he made since In Mysterious Ways.

The box set was sold for 19 Pounds if I remember right. So if you think of one CD would cost 10 pounds it would be a good deal too,if you could get it for more than 19 Pounds.

Wish you luck!
wink Andreas

My favourites are Shifting City and Crash And Burn... smile (as for stuff with Louis)

Hi Adam,

If you want to get an idea of Foxx's output since '97, get Cinemascope.

It's about £5 more than the average CD and contains material from the 'wilderness years' (Nation 12), stuff with Louis Gordon (Crash and Burn, From Trash - their best album together ever) and solo offerings (Cathedral Oceans and Tiny Colour Movies) 5 albums and a DVD of Cathedral Oceans + limited edition art prints

1. Crash and Burn - CD Album

2. Electrofear - CD Album

3. Cathedral Oceans III - CD Album

4. Tiny Colour Movies - CD Album

5. From Trash - CD Album

6. Cathedral Oceans - DVD

Get it from Foxx's official on-line shop rather than the inflated EBay prices;

http://www.townsend-records.co.uk/product.php?pId=10003191&pType=1

Gazza

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.