Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#33297 09/30/10 12:11 PM
The Archive
OP Offline
The Archive
Just thought that you'd all like to know that Metamatic appears at number three in a list of the 'top ten electronic albums' in the November issue of Mojo.

Ahead of it are (at number two) Computer World (by Kraftwerk) and (at number one) Dare! (by The Human League) - other albums in the 'top ten' are Speak and Spell) by Depeche Mode), The Pleasure Principle (by Gary Numan), Travelogue (by The Human League), Upstairs at Erics (by Yazoo) and Architecture and Morality (by Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark).

This issue of Mojo also includes a review of D.N.A.

Rob

#33298 09/30/10 12:26 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Cool - for a chart that seems to include mostly commercial 'pop' albums - Dare at Number One?? - this is a really good showing.

Rob - can I assume you have a copy of this?

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#33299 09/30/10 12:43 PM
Yes, that does seem to be a first! I suspect to nicely coincide with the new Human League album...

Computer World is also a bit of a surprise choice. But Metamatic at number 3 is quite impressive.

And where's Oxygene?! Yet, Yazoo!! Huh?!

I often wonder on what basis these lists (which change every few years – Bowie's Low would have been up in the top a while back)... is it based on commercial success? Influence? Or exactly how "electronic" the album is?!

With only 'real' bass, Metamatic is clearly :more" electro than TPP, which has bass, drums and viola; though TPP was more successful, both albums are of a similar style and feel.

Even Dare! had guitar on it! Then again, plug your guitar in, and it becomes 'electric'...

I'm officially rambling now! wink

#33300 10/01/10 10:32 AM
J
J
I would say it is a "Top Ten Electronic (MORE APPROPRIATELY: SYNTHPOP) Albums That Were Mentioned on Synth Brittania"

That said, I would never argue against Dare! being crowned the best Synthpop album of all time. In that subgenre, it reigns supreme.

#33301 10/01/10 12:05 PM
I just checked this out in WH Smiths

Don't think its worth buying though.

I see there is an article on one of the guys from Neu! who has a new band

#33302 10/02/10 09:53 AM
The Archive
OP Offline
The Archive
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
Even Dare! had guitar on it! Then again, plug your guitar in, and it becomes 'electric'...
I'm afraid that there are (at least according to the sleevenotes) no guitars on Dare!...

Ian Burden Synthesizer
Jo Callis Synthesizer
Joanne Catherall Vocals
Philip Oakey Vocals and Synthesizer
Susanne Sulley Vocals
Philip Adrian Wright Slides and Occasional Synthesizer

Instruments used:
Roland MC8, System 700, JP4,
Korg 770, Delta,
Casio VLT1, M10,
LINN LM1, Yamaha CS15

and
Roland Microcomposer and Linn Drum Computer
Programmed by Martin Rushent, assisted by Dave Allen

Moreover, the Sound of the Crowd single proudly proclaimed (certainly on the reverse of the twelve inch version) that The Human League were still vocals and synthesizers only.

Rob

#33303 10/02/10 12:40 PM
Oh, OK! I stand corrected laugh

I thought there were some heavily treated guitar parts on Love Action. Hard to describe the sound and you won't her me if I do an impression.

#33304 10/08/10 07:13 AM
I'd say that was a pretty good top 10 synthpop list.

Interesting debate on Dare, non-synth instruments - it's true they did have a "still voice and sythesizers' only policy originally but that got loosened up a bit with Dare, especially when Jo Callis came in. There's that sound on Don't You Want Me which is a synth triggered by a guitar or vice versa summat . .and in fact you can see Callis or Burden playing bass guitar or electric guitar on some "live" clips.
I remember I was really p*ssed off the first time I heard Love Actio cos I thought they were using proper drums (it wasin fact the Linn drum) and guitars (which were in fact synths).

thankyou for sharing that with me.

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.