Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#32885 02/03/10 10:05 PM
I listened as the sun was going down on this very grey day.

I think its great to hear John Foxx reading it.Really enjoyed it.

#32886 02/05/10 03:27 PM
I really enjoyed this one ..Quiet Man meets Quiet (blurred) Girl .. kept my attention more than the CD ones, and yes I also prefer JF reading now... eek

#32887 02/09/10 08:14 PM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
John Foxx : When You Walk Through Me

Delicate, and with just enough inflection to raise an eyebrow now and then, or spark a thought. The piano setting is exquisite, tender and lost. Full of longing and searching. For a minute, you think he's there, until he drifts away again into the corners of consciousness.

An evocative passage.
Packed full of references to other pieces, other forms: - Blurred Girl; If Only; Subtext; Someone Almost There; In The Glow: Stepping Softly; Invisible Women; Broken Furniture; Miles Away; The Quiet Man; Smoke

And by inference and suggestion, soft hints at other pieces yet to materialise:- A Woman Made From Smoke; Marginal Inaccuracies; As If In Sleep; Beautiful (and Lost); Breathe Me In; A Shadow On The Stairs...*

I was really touched by this reading, and moved in ways unexpected by the arrangement of subtle clues. Regrets, indications and assurances.
A hand on the shoulder and an arm round the waist. A gentle kiss and a friendly smile. Knowing, reassuring.

Foxx writes elsewhere in The Quiet Man that "it is impossible to find this place. You can only get here by drifting"
In order to walk in and explore this fully, we have to overcome a significant misconception.

"This place" is not a place at all. It is a moment in time. Locked in a broken cupboard.
One of those 'Never Moments' - a vantage point, overlooking the turning tides of past and future; like when you realise that everything is suddenly different, though it has always been constantly changing.

[Constant change : oxymoron]

And therein lies our key to a deeper understanding.

*Note - these are just fragments from the text that caught the light. They do not intentionally refer to any past, present or future projects... wink

[Note to self - watch Cathedral Oceans again. Beware Metanym...]

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#32888 03/06/10 01:36 PM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Update / follow up from jonny mugwump:-

Two items of interest concerning Weird Tales artists: the incomparable Moon Wiring Club (http://blankworkshop.co.uk) will be Jonny Trunk's guest on the equally incomparable OST show on Resonace FM (http://resonancefm.com) this Saturday (06/03/10) from 4.30 to 6.30pm (repeated Wednesday 3pm to 5pm). Expect strange sonics, crazy chat and words of wisdom from the Clinkskell Tourist Board.

Then on Sunday (07/03/10), Radio Joy (http://bohj.co.uk) will be putting on a live event at the Foundry in London and I shall be there spinning weird ****, drones and pop- do drop by and say hello if you're in town. This will be broadcast live from 8 til 11 so to tune in follow the instructions from here: http://bohj.co.uk/radio.html.

It was a great series - I'm looking forward to this too.

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#32889 03/21/10 08:34 PM
T
T
I'm a bit late to the party here. I thought I'd taped this show but now I finally come to listen to it it seems I haven't ... frown

Also, alas, the tale is no longer available online. Has anyone got a file they could send me please? Forever in your debt and all that.

#32890 03/31/10 05:35 PM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
News from Jonny Mugwump of an event tomorrow (Thursday)

Firstly, if you're in London tomorrow then you should really check out this event http://www.thewire.co.uk/themire/2010/03/wire-salon-revenant-forms-meaning-of.html which features a ludicrously wonderful assembly of Weird Tales protagonists/ associates. Here's the blurb from the The Wire:

A new series of monthly events in East London curated byThe Wire Magazine. The evenings will consist of readings, talks, panel debates, film screenings, DJ sets and live performances. The first instalment is Revenant Forms: The Meaning Of Hauntology at London's Café Oto, 1 April, 8pm, £4 on the door only

Mark Fisher (K-Punk) leads a panel with Adam Harper and Joseph Stannard debating the uncanny quality of so much contemporary audio, from spektral disco to dubstep, Hypnagogic pop and beyond. Plus screenings of films by Julian House (Ghost Box, The Focus Group), a live set by Moon Wiring Club and eldritch vinyl interludes courtesy of Mordant Music.

#32891 03/31/10 07:26 PM
C
C
If any forum members in London do get along to this event then I'd love to read a review smile

#32892 07/29/10 11:44 PM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Jonny mugwump has just announced there will be a series 2 of weird tales for winter this year too - starting hopefully in November.

Stay tuned...

not only, but also - one of my favourite other bands The Band of Holy Joy has a new album out!!

#32893 08/05/10 07:00 PM
Very nice, indeed! I very much enjoyed how the whispy feel of John's voice and the wonderful floating background music were consistent with my mental image of the ethereal woman.

Quote:
Originally posted by the church puddle:
Also, alas, the tale is no longer available online. Has anyone got a file they could send me please? Forever in your debt and all that.
I was able to download it from fons' direct link (above). It is around 28M so I am not sure that I can email it to you. But if you are interested just message me and we can figure out a way to get it to you.

#32894 08/10/10 08:06 AM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
This is now available as a FREE DOWNLOAD direct from Townsend Records

http://www.townsend-records.co.uk/artist.php?artist=John+Foxx

All you have to do is register for an account. And if you have an account already, just click the link and enter your membership details.

Super stuff - thanks John, Steve et al cool

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.