Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#32607 08/19/09 10:05 AM
H
OP Offline
H
I've recently discovered the delights of Spotify and have found it tremendous for finding old obscure 1980s artists as well as helping to discover new bands I would not otherwise get to hear.

Inevitably though the first name I typed in once I'd downloaded the software was "John Foxx" - stupid really as I already own pretty much everything he's recorded, but I bet you'd have done the same!

And yes, there is plenty on there but not the albums you expect. Tiny Colour Movies, Cathedral Oceans, collaborations with Harold Budd and Juri Hulkonnen yes, but all 4 Virgin albums as well as those with Louis Gordon are missing.

I'm not sure whether or not Spotify needs the artist's permission for the tracks to appear on their site given that technically it's a radio station rather than a download site, but I think it would be good if John's more commercial albums could appear on there top help new fans discover his music.
Particularly as the site offers suggestions on artists you might like based on those you've already searched for.

#32608 08/21/09 11:51 PM
F
F
Recordings get given to Spotify via a "digital aggregator" (the modern digital equivalent of a "record distributor).

The owner of the recordings (the record label) passes the recording to their aggregator, who then passes them to Spotify (and iTunes, and all the dozens of other such services).

However I think you can only see certain titles on Spotify if you are a paying member, rather than a free one - because I know my aggregator sent an EP of mine to them, but I can't see it on there, cos I'm only a free member!

#32609 08/27/09 08:50 AM
C
C
Upgrading to Premier Spotify takes out the ads and gives you a higher bitrate and better quality sound - no more tracks. Don't upgrade to get more tracks - cos you won't!
Cheers

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.