Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 17 18
#32342 02/13/09 01:43 PM
Sounds very nice but a little bit hissy..... smile

#32343 02/13/09 03:49 PM
C
C
ooh, I love Holywell Lane

(and Secret Life Part 5 is also there...)

#32344 02/13/09 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian:
Sounds very nice but a little bit hissy..... smile
Intentionally so if you read the blurb wink :
Quote:
The album is mostly recorded with analogue synthesizers on analogue tape - some of the old machines have their own clicks, buzzes and hiss, along with imperfections on the tape - although they've been worked on, partly repaired and toned down, these factors represent the 'aural patina' of the history of the tracks, the equipment and recording process, so they are still present in some form. Hollywell Lane is one of the oldest tracks on the album and some of the original tape hiss can still be heard. However, we all felt that this was appropriate for this project and it was rather wonderful re-discovering some of the warm, rich, subtly shifting analogue sonics of material recorded two decades ago - as John Foxx writes in his extended sleevenotes for the album, ' . . . discarded songs from a lost city . . . psychic electricity reaching between buried streets and particles of magnetised iron . . . on tape made from the solidified remains of prehistoric forests . . . carried on electromagnetic impulses, crackling through time and space, into the air again.'

#32345 02/13/09 03:54 PM
And an excerpt from "Imperfect Hymn," sounding very much like the missing link between "The Garden" and Cathedral Oceans.

I'm liking all of this.

#32346 02/13/09 04:19 PM
Are those John's vocals? He must have found out his tightest pants!

Imperfect Hymn sounds lovely though - absolutely lovely. Steve, you're spot on with your comments there about it linking The garden and CO.

I'm really looking forward to this album. It would be very interesting to know when and where the various tracks were recorded or originated - maybe there will be more info like this in the sleeve notes...

I'm still not sold on A Secret Life though...

#32347 02/13/09 05:12 PM
F
F
Great stuff for me!! cool
But then again, who am I? laugh

#32348 02/13/09 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MemberD:
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian:
[b] Sounds very nice but a little bit hissy..... smile
Intentionally so if you read the blurb wink :
Quote:
The album is mostly recorded with analogue synthesizers on analogue tape - some of the old machines have their own clicks, buzzes and hiss, along with imperfections on the tape - although they've been worked on, partly repaired and toned down, these factors represent the 'aural patina' of the history of the tracks, the equipment and recording process, so they are still present in some form. Hollywell Lane is one of the oldest tracks on the album and some of the original tape hiss can still be heard. However, we all felt that this was appropriate for this project and it was rather wonderful re-discovering some of the warm, rich, subtly shifting analogue sonics of material recorded two decades ago - as John Foxx writes in his extended sleevenotes for the album, ' . . . discarded songs from a lost city . . . psychic electricity reaching between buried streets and particles of magnetised iron . . . on tape made from the solidified remains of prehistoric forests . . . carried on electromagnetic impulses, crackling through time and space, into the air again.'
[/b]
Cheers D

All is now clear.

That was posted after the track was put up laugh

#32349 02/13/09 07:04 PM
So we'll have no moaning about hiss, click, snap, crackle and pop when the album comes out! wink

#32350 02/13/09 07:04 PM
I'd like to thank Steve Malins and John for putting two tracks of the forthcoming album up on Myspace. WOW I'm bowled over and can't wait to get my grubby hands on My Lost City and hearing the full versions.

Imperfect Hymn as a nice CO feel to it.

Holywell Lane as a similar feel to Beethovens' piano sonata. Beauiful.

I have reservations about A Secret Life. My thoughts only.

Peter smile smile

#32351 02/13/09 07:06 PM
Administrator
Administrator
I'm forming an impression that this could be the best John Foxx album for a long time.

I don't remember the last one I looked forward to quite this much laugh cool

(Except perhaps for 'A Secret Life'...)

Imperfect Hymn - beautiful. Just goes to show what a milestone Lumen de Lumine was :p

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Page 3 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 17 18

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.