Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#32030 09/14/07 07:33 AM
N
OP Offline
N
What are classed as rarities for collectors of John Foxx?

#32031 09/14/07 08:40 AM
C
C
John brushing his teeth to the tune of 'Underpass' (Yellow Vinyl - Virgin Cat No. 230!!) laugh
Cheers

#32032 09/14/07 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Craig:
John brushing his teeth to the tune of 'Underpass' (Yellow Vinyl - Virgin Cat No. 230!!) laugh
Cheers
LOL!

His cover version of 'Shaddup Your Face (My Face)' Italian re-mix on green flexi-disc with 32 page booklet.

laugh

But seriously folks - It may be 'A New Kind Of Man' (Alternative Mix) / 'Metal Beat' - 7", VS303

Nap-ster, see the 'Obscurities Detail requested' thread elsewhere on this forum for more discussion on the rarities.

#32033 09/14/07 11:38 AM
N
OP Offline
N
Aha yes, look and ye shall learn.

Sorry for the double question but the toothpaste gag was worth the question alone.

#32034 09/14/07 11:51 AM
It's hard to judge what is a rarity. There are the normal general release vinyls and CD's that are available.

Then there are the boots and rare tracks CD's that are publicly not available but with it so easy to copy CD's I guess most JF fans already have these.

I guess the rarest items are the two original Exotour CD's both limited editions only available at concerts. I know 500 were pressed of one and 1000 of the other. As I don't own these I'm not sure which is which.

I guess one of the rarest vinyls is Ultravox's The Man who Dies Every Day, German remix.

John brushing his teeth and singing Underpass at the same time that I'd love to hear LOL laugh laugh Good one Craig

Peter

#32035 09/14/07 01:08 PM
Administrator
Administrator
I would add that among the rarest tracks offically 'released' by John Foxx are

The Quiet Man 3 and The Quiet Man 4

which to date are still only available on the on the Touch Meridians cassettes...?

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#32036 09/14/07 01:47 PM
Would 'Modern Love' also count? It's only available (as far as I know) on the B-Side of the 'Quirks' 7-inch single, which was only available in a limited number with the original vinyl pressing of 'Ha!-Ha!-Ha!'

#32037 09/14/07 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by metal beat:
It's hard to judge what is a rarity. There are the normal general release vinyls and CD's that are available.

Then there are the boots and rare tracks CD's that are publicly not available but with it so easy to copy CD's I guess most JF fans already have these.
Thats a good point, theres very different types of rarities.

The third IMO are 'white labels', test pressings, and promos.

The fourth is items given by the artist such as signed programmes etc.

Then theres items from within the industry which fans dont get (most times).

#32038 09/16/07 08:06 AM
C
C
Fusion/Fission LP. Basically Metamatic with this title instead.

Another last minute change by John. laugh

Chris wink

#32039 09/16/07 10:17 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris C:
[b]Fusion/Fission LP. Basically Metamatic with this title instead.[/b]
did a real album with that title printed on its cover actually ever existed ? :-o

however ... the original version of john's track "quiet splendour" , which was only on that projekt compilation-album is also some kind of rarity , i think !?

#32040 09/16/07 10:50 AM
C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by SF Metamatrix:
Quote:
[b] [b]Fusion/Fission LP. Basically Metamatic with this title instead.[/b]
did a real album with that title printed on its cover actually ever existed ? :-o

[/b]
Yep it's here follow the thread below:

Oops! the thread "John Foxx first solo album" has disappeared from Ultravox.org.uk eek

Rob/Cerise have scans of the LP cover.

Chris wink

#32041 09/16/07 11:26 AM
The Archive
The Archive
Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:

[/b]
Rob/Cerise have scans of the LP cover.[/b]
I'll dig 'em out in a short bit and post them here... wink

Rob

#32042 09/16/07 03:05 PM
M
M
Any tracks that were recorded around the time of Endlessly/Young Man, single. And/or the In The Glow period if John still has them, which I doubt.

#32043 09/16/07 03:15 PM
The Archive
The Archive
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Ilektrik:
Any tracks that were recorded around the time of Endlessly/Young Man, single. And/or the In The Glow period if John still has them, which I doubt.
Some of the tracks, which would've been part of the abandoned In The Glow album, have already appeared as B'Sides and extra tracks on the Endlessly and Your Dress double singles.

Rob

#32044 09/16/07 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Harris:
Quote:
[b] Any tracks that were recorded around the time of Endlessly/Young Man, single. And/or the In The Glow period if John still has them, which I doubt.
Some of the tracks, which would've been part of the abandoned In The Glow album, have already appeared as B'Sides and extra tracks on the Endlessly and Your Dress double singles.

Rob [/b]
So that also explains why there were more extra tracks for 'the golden section' than 'the garden' or 'in mysterious ways'. Almost a double album really.

#32045 09/16/07 03:58 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Quote:
Quote:

however ... the original version of john's track "quiet splendour" , which was only on that projekt compilation-album is also some kind of rarity , i think !? [/b]
Isn't that the same versiont hat appeared on CO? This was just a preview, released prior to the album?

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#32046 09/16/07 04:16 PM
The Archive
The Archive
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
Quote:
[b] however ... the original version of john's track "quiet splendour" , which was only on that projekt compilation-album is also some kind of rarity , i think !?
Isn't that the same version that appeared on CO? This was just a preview, released prior to the album? [/b]
The track Quiet Splendour, that appeared on the Orphée (Projekt) compilation CD, is different to the version which finally appeared on the Cathedral Oceans album.

Rob

#32047 09/16/07 05:27 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Ooohh - I missed that then!

Something else to look forward too… cool

Thanks Rob

#32048 09/16/07 07:21 PM
M
M
How about Canadian "John Foxx" album? It's bascally few tracks from Metamatic, 'No-One Driving' A- and B-sides and 'My Face'. The cover is nice: the same as 'No-One Driving' double-7" but 12"-size.

Does everyone got one or two of these?

#32049 09/16/07 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Normall:
How about Canadian "John Foxx" album?
Not personally no, but ive seen one in real life. It looks fantastic!!

#32050 09/16/07 08:24 PM
M
M
Quote:
Quote:
[b] Any tracks that were recorded around the time of Endlessly/Young Man, single. And/or the In The Glow period if John still has them, which I doubt.

Rob [/b]
Thanks Rob.

Are they the original versions? Or were they re-recorded for The Golden Section album sessions?

Mark

#32051 09/16/07 08:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Normall:
How about Canadian "John Foxx" album? It's bascally few tracks from Metamatic, 'No-One Driving' A- and B-sides and 'My Face'. The cover is nice: the same as 'No-One Driving' double-7" but 12"-size.

I've got one, but being Canadian, I didn't have much of a choice at the time. It took quite a few years to find a copy of Metamatic. I've got the Canadian version of The Garden, too, which has a different cover, track listing, and has another song instead of "Fusion/Fission."

#32052 09/16/07 09:30 PM
I've got the Canadian 'Metamatic'-era album too. The best thing about it is the artwork which is just the 'No-one Driving' double-pack in 12" gatefold format. Thick, heavy card though - very nice. The tracklist has no rare mixes or anything. It's only real feature was that until 'Modern Art', it had the only decent pressing of 'My Face'.

Regarding the 'In The Glow' album - shall we start crowing to get this as an extra CD on the deluxe edition of 'The Golden Section'? cool

Right, I'm off to Sister Ray to camp outside and wait for 'Metamatic'...I believe Martin may join me with a flask of coffee! :p

#32053 09/17/07 08:09 AM
The Archive
The Archive
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Roby:
I've got the Canadian version of The Garden, too, which has a different cover, track listing, and has another song instead of "Fusion/Fission."
That'd be This Jungle...

The full track-listing can be found here ...

Rob

#32054 09/17/07 11:36 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
I'll dig 'em out in a short bit and post them here... wink
thanx already in advance , rob , as i've never seen that cover of "fusion / fission" so far !

#32055 09/17/07 11:41 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
Originally posted by RadioBeach:
It's only real feature was that until 'Modern Art', it had the only decent pressing of 'My Face'.
albeit i like the "modern art" compilation a lot , i always found it strange that the "he's a liquid" version @ the end of it sounds so way out of tune , as the speed of the tape it was copied from was obviously not consistent ! :-o

but that fault was rectified by now with the version that is on the new edition of "metamatic" ! :-)

#32056 09/17/07 11:48 AM
The Archive
The Archive
Quote:
Quote:
[b] I'll dig 'em out in a short bit and post them here... wink
thanx already in advance , rob , as i've never seen that cover of "fusion / fission" so far ! [/b]
I've got to be honest - I don't think that it's that big a deal - as it's identical to the regular sleeve, but with the words Fusion / Fission instead of Metamatic.

Rob

#32057 09/17/07 12:21 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
I've got to be honest - I don't think that it's that big a deal - as it's identical to the regular sleeve, but with the words [b]Fusion / Fission instead of Metamatic. [/b]
albeit i've almost suspected something like that , it's always nice to see a real proof that such a cover really existed - unlike the "in the glow" album , which already had a catalogue number assigned by virgin , but no real cover , afaik !?

#32058 09/17/07 12:30 PM
Quote:
Quote:
[b] I've got to be honest - I don't think that it's that big a deal - as it's identical to the regular sleeve, but with the words [b]Fusion / Fission instead of Metamatic. [/b]
albeit i've almost suspected something like that , it's always nice to see a real proof that such a cover really existed - unlike the "in the glow" album , which already had a catalogue number assigned by virgin , but no real cover , afaik !? [/b]
Robs right Olaf, theres no real difference, the most impressive covers / artwork for other releases are IMO the 'John Foxx' album with the 'no-one driving' pictures and the import picture record for 'Burning Car'.

#32059 09/17/07 12:37 PM
The Archive
The Archive
Quote:
albeit i've almost suspected something like that , it's always nice to see a real proof that such a cover really existed - unlike the "in the glow" album , which already had a catalogue number assigned by virgin , but no real cover , afaik !?
I wasn't aware (at least I don't think I was) that In The Glow had been assigned a catalogue number - what was it?

Rob

#32060 09/17/07 12:41 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i don't question @ all that rob is right , ken , but as i haven't seen the "fusion / fission" nor the "in the glow" cover ( if a later one ever existed ) , i was jus' curious if those covers were indeed printed & how they looked like - that's all ! ;-)

btw : i already know the canadian versions of "john foxx" & "the garden" & also the japanese version of "burning car" ! :-)

#32061 09/17/07 12:48 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
I wasn't aware (at least I don't think I was) that [b]In The Glow had been assigned a catalogue number - what was it? [/b]
i wish i could remember or better even prove it , but i can't , as i only remember once seeing a list of upcoming virgin releases back in 1982 incl. john foxx - "in the glow" ( album ) with a typical virgin album cat. number in a german music magazine called "musikexpress" !
i don't even remember , which issue in 1982 it was , sorry ! :-/

p. s. : a year later the same music magazine has also listed kraftwerk's "techno-pop" album with its assigned cat. number by emi !
both albums seem to have been "last minute withdrawals" then ! :-o

#32062 09/18/07 08:31 PM
Administrator
Administrator
What happened to The Quiet Man 2??? :p

#32063 09/19/07 11:38 AM
laugh
SHhhh!! No-one knows wink

#32064 09/19/07 12:13 PM
Can everyone please whisper a bit louder so this side of the Atlantic can hear laugh

#32065 11/03/09 11:01 AM

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.