Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 21 of 25 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
The Archive
OP Online
The Archive
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian:
Just put on me laptop,only just got back home.Patience laugh
In the meanwhilst, here's last nights set-list in all its glory...

01. Shatterproof
02. He's A Liquid
03. Burning Car
04. The Running Man
05. No-One Driving
06. Underpass
07. Catwalk
08. Dislocation
09. The Quiet Men
10. Walk Away
11. The Man Who Dies Every Day
12. Hiroshima Mon Amour
13. Slow Motion

Rob

Sounds like it was great.

T
T
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Harris:
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian:
[b] Just put on me laptop,only just got back home.Patience laugh
In the meanwhilst, here's last nights set-list in all its glory...

01. Shatterproof
02. He's A Liquid
03. Burning Car
04. The Running Man
05. No-One Driving
06. Underpass
07. Catwalk
08. Dislocation
09. The Quiet Men
10. Walk Away
11. The Man Who Dies Every Day
12. Hiroshima Mon Amour
13. Slow Motion

Rob [/b]
Ooh, would have been nice to have heard Walk Away again ... hope everyone had a great time!

cheers for the set list Rob laugh

Anyways back to work wink

Thanks for the first comments and the set list.
Sounds like it was a great evening (of course!)
Think Walk Away with Robin on Guitar was the highlight. It was the second time I missed John played this song live (2006 tour too).
One day... (Hopefully)

Looking forward to Brian's photos smile

Hope John and Benge will continue performing live this year.

I’ve just arrived home to a rather wet Wolverhampton. It was a great gig last night. John has never sounded better and the live band really worked. In fact the whole hour just flew by and the whole thing just fell into place. The analogue synths just blew me away - they sounded great!

However, and this is where I suspect I will be swimming against the tide, I’m not sure about the set-list. John has just released a simply brilliant album, and he had all the guys on stage to play it. We did get 3 Interplay songs, but did we need 5 from Systems Of Romance? I would have flipped that around 5 to 3 the other way.

I’m not sure about the set-list order either. During John’s hour the venue was filling up rapidly, and for the second half of the set I imagine John had one of the biggest audiences he’s ever had. I think the classic Metamatic tracks and something from Interplay deserved the prime end of set slots. After all, they represent what John is all about as a solo artist.

Anyway, I’m sure all you SOR fans out there appreciated the album being given star billing.

This was the fourth time I have seen Gary Numan, and he seemed as good as ever. Some great early tracks combined with the heavy industrial stuff. Got some brand new stuff too, including a track written just days before. My stamina was starting to suffer after standing in the same spot for over 4 hours (blumin’ back ache) and that did prevent me enjoying Gary’s set as much as I normally do.

Mirrors were okay, Motor - every track seemed the same.

I’m sorry I couldn’t make the pre-gig meet, but on this occasion I travelled down with my better half and we decided to go out for a pre-gig meal on the banks of the Thames. Rather nice it was too. I did see and say hello to Brian in the Holiday Inn on Sunday morning.

Cheers,
Mike.

Nice to meet you this morning Mike,all too briefly.

Sorry I had to go had train to catch I was on the way to check out when I bumped into you.

Brian

To be honest, I'm quite disappointed in the Foxx set. I'm sure had I been there, it'd be a totally different story, but it does look very similar to the Roundhouse(?) gig.

Same old Metamatic tracks and just a smattering of the new Interplay tracks, which is a great shame. I really go hope there's some sort of Maths tour to promote the album. It's brilliant and it deserves it.

Maybe John also ought to get the whole SOR thing out of his system and play SOR live in full with Robin Simon.

yes Destination wouldn't have been out of place... and speaking of which I found this from the roundhouse gig last year.

Administrator
Administrator
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeG:
I’m not sure about the set-list order either. During John’s hour the venue was filling up rapidly, and for the second half of the set I imagine John had one of the biggest audiences he’s ever had. I think the classic Metamatic tracks and something from Interplay deserved the prime end of set slots. After all, they represent what John is all about as a solo artist.
Hmmm - it is an interesting one. My take on it though is exactly the opposite. :p

Given that most of the Numanoids came in later on during the set, I'm not surprisd that's when a) the guitar-based tracks featured most strongly and b) as a 'tribute' to Numan, Foxx played the stuff that influenced him most ie Systems of Romance.

Not only but also, most of us 'whinged' (myself included) after the Roundhouse when we felt Rob Simon's role and presence on stage was underplayed. Seems like this set more than compensated for that!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
To be honest, I'm quite disappointed in the Foxx set. I'm sure had I been there, it'd be a totally different story, but it does look very similar to the Roundhouse(?) gig.

Same old Metamatic tracks and just a smattering of the new Interplay tracks, which is a great shame...
Maybe John also ought to get the whole SOR thing out of his system.
It is always impossible to please everyone all the time at these events, especially when Foxx doesn't play live very often. Reads like a good, tight set to me that ticks most of the boxes for most of the people and works well in the context of the billing.

Those 'same old' Metamatic tracks will be the ones that the majority of the live audience want to hear

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Page 21 of 25 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.