Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 20 of 25 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 24 25
Administrator
Administrator
Hi all. I have moved this very live topic into this 'John Foxx' forum for discussion as it is now much more than an 'announcement'.

You'll see the copy there is closed.

Thanks

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow Man:
I saw the Mirrors as support band for OMD in Hamburg and for my opinion they were better than OMD. A very good band live on stage. Sounding like the early OMD.
A very commendable debut album , but I can hardly see them as being better than OMD ... 20 (30?) years younger perhaps..but not 'better' !!

Ok offtopic . .sorry! shocked

John and Louis were better than the Human League when I saw them in 2003...

Quote:
Originally posted by MemberD:
Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow Man:
[b] I saw the Mirrors as support band for OMD in Hamburg and for my opinion they were better than OMD. A very good band live on stage. Sounding like the early OMD.
A very commendable debut album , but I can hardly see them as being better than OMD ... 20 (30?) years younger perhaps..but not 'better' !!

Ok offtopic . .sorry! shocked [/b]
I think it has something to do with I like the early OMD (until A&M) a lot . I'm not so keen of the later stuff. I was surprised to see those new band with their fresh music. Never heard of them before. This is the music I would love to hear from OMD these days. I bought their tour edition CD and I like what I hear on it. Will buy their debut CD too.

And I second Alex comment of John & Louis supporting the Human League in 2003...
wink

Just finished! Apologies, I'll be more competent later, but just to let you know that there were some searing, blistering analogue editions of; shatterproof, burning car ( ripped the roof off...no joke), underpass, and a shed-load of Ultravox! With Robin Simon; quiet men, Hiroshima mon amour, the man who dies every day aaaaand; walk away!

I wanted Can't stay Long! Alas it wasn't to be, but nevermind! Great gig! Much better than the Roundhouse and Foxx's vocals - woah! Best he's ever sounded since the Shifting City gigs. Less FX more Foxx and it worked!

It has to be said, and fair play to him - Numan has almost won me over with a fantastic set. Aside from a handful of his industrial stuff, so far it's been; down in the park, films, oh that's too bad, we are glass, mr. Smith/zero bars and crash!

Bloody he'll! More of this and I might go see him willingly! Honest! He's in good form, fantastic light show and... Are friends electric is starting... T'ra!

I was there in the Roxy last night. A very good evening ensued. John came on after some youngsters had done their set. Sweet lads I'd better not name, on account of their love for 80's synth presets...more presets...oh dear. Still, they tried.

John and The Maths gave a good account of Catwalk, Running Man and a few good ones from Interplay. Well they were all good really. He moved, or should I say shifted and floated like a miracle, through a metamatic set of The Plaza, Underpass, and No one driving to his Ultravox works such as Dislocation. Quiet men and a few others. He gave them what sounded like a new polish, but I imagine that they also used such as the original ArpOdyssey voices so there. I lived and learned.

Dignified and clearly into it, he made a few moves too. Great to see him so animated. So were many of us at the front. Cool to be around people with the same love.

Then a New York duo came on and tried to convince us you could manage with one single, raucous preset for every single song, if you kept modulating it. They chased me out of the auditorium and I ended up exploring the back of the roxey and finding various quiet nooks and crannies, watching Benge walk past me etc. Finally I got my industrial noise protectors on until they'd finished. Lads...suicide had more imagination!

Then Gary came on and did a very good set indeed, using the hanging radiators behind the stage that until then had looked like a load of....hanging radiators. Pixel-light grids. Very effective. That went down a storm.

I looked behind me on the balcony of the huge, art-deco palace of a venue. There at the top , silently watching, was John himself. Finally, everyone came back on stage and John and Gary shook hands. Very well done everyone. xxx

Quote:
Originally posted by HoxtonPaul:
John came on after some youngsters had done their set. Sweet lads I'd better not name, on account of their love for 80's synth presets...more presets...oh dear. Still, they tried.

MIRRORS MIRRORS MIRRORS MIRRORS

Not sure why you though you could not name them. Perhaps a little unimaginative but a good way to start the gig.

I like you had the misfirtune to see MOTOR, unfortunatley in my case for the second time, having seen them support Numan on his North American Tour last year. Totally agree with your comments.

Mirrors, John and Gary were on top form, but I do wonder about the DJ's.

Mark Jones again, a 'professional dj. Surely not!

When Daniel Miller came on a lot was expected, becuase after all he is 'Mr Mute', but unfortunatley if was awful. There was an ironic cheer when he finally played something that sounded like a tune (Lawn Chairs by OWD), instead of the dirge he had been playing. Don't expect many invitations for DJ slots Mr Miller I'm afraid.

That said, overall a fantastic night!

I never knew Samantha Fox was a Numan Fan!

Where are Brian's photos and films? laugh

Just put on me laptop,only just got back home.Patience laugh

Page 20 of 25 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 24 25

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.