Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3112 10/01/08 05:01 AM
OP Offline
Finding Metamatic has been one of my most enjoyable web experiences, it has allowed me to revisit my memories as a teenager who could not get enough of seeing John in Ultravox at the Marquee Club.

I also saw them at North Herts Tech & a couple of other venues that can not remember the names of. at the moment , but by far & away my favourite times were seeing them at the Marquee in that small but vibrant & most impressive venue for a kid escaping the suburbs in 1977.

I seem to remember having seen them on a new years eve there once (but maybe that is age playing games on me) but definitely remember going to see them for a few nights in a row there as well as other dates.

I was playing around with photography at the time & thought I could become the next big thing in rock photography for the NME & other such publications. On a couple of occasions I was able to get onto the stage & even managed once to get into what was a very narrow & small dressing room at the back of the stage.

I always remember John being very gracious towards me at the time especially as I probably came across as some sort of immature idiot trying to live out my dream.

I still have my original albums of Ultravox, Ha Ha Ha & Systems of Romance and have over the years been able to pick these up on CD in Australia.

It was with utter horror that I can recall being in Camden Town to see the “new” Ultravox unveil the new line up with that poseur Ure.

I do not believe it is age playing games with me but I have memories of standing near John that night at the Camden Palaise when Ure decided to make some disparaging remark about John’s presence there that night to the assembled fans (& remember at that time they all would have been fans of Ultravox with John)

I can remember turning to John & saying something to him about what a tosser Ure was for doing it & refused to stay & see the rest of the gig, I think some others left too.

But I remember feeling that John remained a man of class at that moment (the quiet man).

Needless to say I never bought another Ultravox record after that night, I did get Johns Underpass but then left England to embark on 6 years of travelling the world before settling down in Australia so needless to say I lost touch with the music that was happening in the U.K then just bits & pieces on foreign radio.

So it is with a great deal of disappointment that I was to discover that John had been in Australia earlier this year & so missed the opportunity to get to see him.

But now I have discovered Metamatic I am able to find out what John has been up to over the ensuing years & look forward to re-discovering John’s music.

#3113 10/01/08 05:12 AM
Hello LennoxPetar and welcome to the Forums. cool

#3114 10/01/08 07:56 AM
Hi LennoxPetar .. nice story about the early days. Got any of those photos still kicking around by any chance???
Welcome to the forum.

#3115 10/01/08 08:32 AM
Nice story - would love to see the photos!

Anyway, welcome to the forum! I hope you enjoy exploring this great site, chatting with other fans and most of all catching up with John Foxx. Better get your overdraft extended!! laugh

#3116 10/01/08 04:11 PM
Hi LennoxPetar

Very welcome to the forum! wink

#3117 10/01/08 04:38 PM
C
C
Hi there LennoxPetar smile

I really loved reading your story, very vivid...

#3118 10/01/08 05:16 PM
Welcome to the forum laugh

Please dont tease us with talk of pictures from way back.Any chance we can see them? laugh

Brian

#3119 10/01/08 06:26 PM
Hi LennoxPetar
I enjoyed reading your story. Thanks for sharing it and welcome to the forum

Peter

#3120 10/02/08 09:57 AM
Hi LennoxPetar and welcome to the Forum. As others have said - that's a great story, and yes, John is class!

#3121 10/03/08 09:40 AM
hi, Lennoxpatar.
welcome and good to have you together here!
enjoyed reading your story.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.