Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#30932 08/09/09 09:40 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Quote:
Originally posted by Craig:
Must dig out the copies of 'The Service' as I think the text for the first track 'The Quiet Man' was the first two pieces from the magazine put together, first one called 'I remember'
Cheers
I think you're mistaken though, Craig. The Quiet man title track/first track is just that...?

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#30933 08/10/09 09:56 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Me again... eek

So I post in a thread, and kill it dead.
Hey, that rhymes - any songwriters out there? :p

Thus, in fear of the same, I post my thoughts on The Quiet Man. Steve and Garry have summed it up perfectly I reckon.

Here's my tupp'ny-worth

Infinite in All Directions

John Foxx - The Quiet Man (META24CD) - a review

He's right, you know. Of course. We can never leave. Strange how moments last so long... We are all 'several different people, leading different lives simultaneously.'
Our experiences stay with us, as memories, regrets, photographs, notes in journals, snags in jacket sleeves - becoming more or less tangible according to the tides of situation. It is inevitable.

Here is the Man Made of Shadows. And a translucent piano. Delicate notes, hesitant, with the softest of echoes, as if the pianist is cautious of breaking the keys.
I am led gently into the city inhabited by The Quiet Man, walking through it as if it were an art gallery, where the smells and sounds are exhibits on the walls in a network of rooms, where sea and sunset become one, the future dipping slowly behind the horizon of the past.

She is alongside me for a moment. Almost there. A trace of perfume brings back the memory of laugh. Her silhouette moves across the dimness, temporarily cooling me. There is a mild, temporary irritation in her presence - like the sound of rain or passing cars. Systems of Romance. Dancing, like a gun. Shattered fragments. The Garden. Like some kind of miracle.

I am utterly absorbed. The narrative, with its measured tones of frustration, regret and despair is faultless. Repeats my own and reflects my thoughts. There is longing and sadness - a man looking for something that he has convinced himself is there, but you suspect that he really knows it has gone. The passion of an empty relationship. A phone call that will never be made. Standing in the dark.
Memories. Ghosts. Rooms. Music.

Ah. Music. More intense now, and somehow familiar. I feel like this and I experience it as he reads - the jolt of reality as if awakening from a dream. She stands beside me again, slipping her arm through mine, in comfortable silence. Every avenue seems uncertain, though a little more tangible than it did previously. Are we in a place, or a relationship? Where, or when? Solid shapes are forming in the dim, underwater light - there is an ocean within and beyond the case I am holding. I can breathe the ocean, and see automobiles slowly sinking down to the sand. Mermaids. Sirens. Lovers
There is an urgency in this chapter, and I detect now a sinister, more challenging tone. The despair of the earlier passage, the delayed train, has been overtaken by movement and a sense of purpose. The balance between reader and pianist is an immaculate judgement - as one swims free of his skin, the other rises, lightens and increases its intensity. He moves towards the surface where the water is thinner, and cleaner, and brighter. Sunlit notes flicker as if made of glass, like tiny fish. It is laughter.

I am sharing the immensity of his story - vast cities, oceans and era. Constructed and carved from living rock. Nature's concrete. I am no longer aware of whether I am still below the water - or above it? The abstract hymn of the water, carried on huge, tidal bass notes that form an ever changing current of sound. Architecture and Desire. Merging. Fading...

I have become outside again. I must have somehow drifted here, into a decaying, shifting city, where all has become strangely insular. There is a storyline, a corridor instead of a vast hall. Direction is encouraged.
I've been here before. When I was a man and she was a woman, gentle and unassuming. I wore my favoured Grey Suit then, and it envelops me again, with anonymity, memory and invisible feelings. I feel relaxed, calm and confident. The fabric of the suit is a map of my Lost City, the place where I began. An Earlier Man in my clothes walked here, through London, through New York and Paris - the cartography of my lifetime. I have been lost many times, fallen through numerous transparent rooms, lived through a million different scenes, all woven into the tiny coloured threads of fabric that make up this apparently colourless cloth. Lt 030. Some Way Through All These Cities. Escalators, elevators. Paths, avenues, highways.

And yet I am still here. Someone walks with me, her child fingers twined with mine. Sitting on my shoulders.
Carry me daddy, take me where you have been. I want to see the world.

So we return to that city. Buses, taxis, trains and cars. A feeling of dispersal, and of fractals. A distant kind of longing, evoking in me a feeling of bewilderment and complexity, and yet I am nagged by a curious realisation. A kind of awakening. A glimmer. Far more than just the geometry of coincidence. Is it, well... what was that. Some sort of... plan?? Phrases echo from across the lake of time, which moves around within and beyond us in utterly immeasurable ways. It is neither linear, nor accountable, neither does it move at a uniform pace. I detect a change in the weather, and feel the wind now colder against my hands. There are leaves and litter swirling in doorways and across my shoes - and that is exactly how time moves. In that erratic, swirling, eddying, flickering kind of way. Like Smoke.

Within these forty-odd minutes are threads and hints and glimpses and huge slabs of the blatantly obvious. Themes that have been woven into the fabric of John Foxx for the last thirty years. Different genres and medias have become picture frames on the walls of an immense archive, doorways and passages in an ever-changing story. They are here, and there. And then gone. And then they return, taking different form and leading off in new, unforeseen directions.

The realisation I felt as the album reached a point furthest away from where it started was that, whatever this story is, it must never be published. The journey must not be allowed to end. It cannot become real until it is truly, absolutely, over.
There is an increasing sense within me that everything has been part of some vast cathedral or ocean of design. An experimental lifetime, a living archive.

What will happen if one day The Quiet Man becomes a tangible piece of product? A book whose final chapter was was written long ago, but when its author was uncertain how to lead the plot to its desired conclusion?
A shadowy figure will step out and hand it to us with a distant, knowing smile and in the sudden glare of the shatterlight, the man will dissolve.

We will open the book, in our eagerness to possess the secrets, and it will of course, crumble into dust between our fingers.

In the meanwhile, we can only marvel at the cavernous space inside this gallery, the delicate complexity of its layout, and behold the immaculate presentation of the artefacts inside.
Infinite, in all directions.

© birdsong, August 2009

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#30934 08/11/09 12:39 PM
OP Offline
Not to get too concrete, but I don't think the publication of The Quiet Man means the end of The Quiet Man. There's no reason there can't be more stories, more CDs, more bits and pieces in the form of blog posts and song titles, as long as John's sufficiently inspired.

(I'm reminded of a short story called "I Dream of Wires" by Scott David Aniolowski, from an anthology of short stories inspired by H.P. Lovecraft and Ramsey Campbell. The heaviest influence on that particular story was Gary Numan, and lyrics and titles of his songs were used all through the story. I found it distracting because I was too busy playing spot the reference to actually enjoy the story. Fortunately, with The Quiet Man, when familiar turns of phrase appear, they don't draw as much attention to themselves, because they've always been part of the common vocabulary of an evolving story.)

#30935 09/13/09 09:29 AM
C
C
I must say this is an extraordinary release. The piano playing is exquisite and so is the narrator's voice. The artwork is brilliant and the whole package makes a fantastic souvenir for all those devotees who have followed the Quiet Man through all these years.

This could be followed by Vol II. There's Church of course and the one that he emerges from a pool and something about an Italian evening.

This also makes an exceptional educational tool and I hope my son one day enjoys this and the beauty of literature through the words of modern poets like John.

I can't wait for the book and should there be an expensive limited edition I would ask Rob to kindly put me on that list. laugh I'll pay a deposit if I have to.

Well done John, another classic on your list of works of art.

Chris wink

#30936 09/27/09 05:33 PM
T
T
I finally found the right time to play this. The last Saturday of a week of, two thirty in the morning ...

It was great to read all your thoughts above. Here are a few of mine:

Having seen The Quiet Man, I was worried whether just hearing it would work. Emphatically yes, unlike Tiny Colour Movies which for me loses a good deal in the translation back to audio only. The words (and this is all about the words - the piano is "only" an ideal environment for the words to exist in, tranquil, nostalgic, thoughtful, occasionally unsettling, familiar and yet mysterious) conjure so many different visuals from the imagination that can't be filmed. I think my brain must be designed for audio books, otherwise I would still be lingering on the image of the crisp clean sheets (I have just purchased the latest Nick Cave novel on this format and look forward to consuming its 7 CDs). Previously, I took The Quiet Man from the page word by word, or dipping in at random, not allowing a flow, and getting distracted too easily. I am not sure I ever finished an extract - always saving it for a better time. For this reason I considered prose the least essential direction of John's art, something of a bonus, and primarily the source of some of the songs. I do not think that way anymore. Absolutely stunning.

#30937 10/15/09 04:54 AM
c23 Offline
My CD arrived today, and i carefully undid the wrapper with reverence and thoughtfulness. With disbelief i looked through the photos of the jacket, unable to fathom that i finally will hear the prose, and story behind so much of the music that has moved me through all of these years. At first listen, the words just melted into my psyche, and the gentle piano was just perfect......im in awe, and quite speechless. I didn't think i would care for someone other than John to read through this, but i was quite absorbed anyway. A beautiful and inspired work......thank you John.

#30938 10/23/09 05:35 PM
A free download from Townsend - 'A Man Made Of Shadows' - taken from the Quiet Man album - is now available for anyone who has purchased Foxx related stuff in the past. Got an e-mail this afternoon with the link.

#30939 10/23/09 08:47 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Quote:
Originally posted by c23:
A beautiful and inspired work......thank you John.
Hear! Hear!

It gets even more absorbing and perfect the more time you spent there, too

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.