Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#30922 08/05/09 06:13 PM
OP Offline
(I know there's some discussion in the announcements area, but surely the announcements area should be for announcements...)

Just listened to The Quiet Man for the first time. Wow. It's a remarkable work.

The Quiet Man isn't something new; it's always been there in the background, little excerpts showing up here and there over the years, but this is the most sustained exposure we've had to it yet. And it's a remarkable piece of work. John's lyrics, and the track titles of his instrumental pieces, have always been strongly evocative, instantly generating images in the mind's eye. The Quiet Man draws those words and images together, linking the seemingly disparate grey concrete world of Metamatic and the lush and verdant world of The Garden, among others, while also giving me a lot of flashbacks to reading JG Ballard, walking alone through unfamiliar cities, being lost in movies...

The music works well, as does Justin Barton's voiceover. I originally wasn't sure that having someone other than John Foxx reading was the way to go, but I've become familiar with John's speaking voice from the various interview CDs, and Justin's voice adds a bit of appropriate anonymity.

So that's the fourth good CD from John this year. How long until the next one?

#30923 08/06/09 09:58 AM
Go Steve! Go Steve! Go Steve!

Quite right too Mr. Roby – a proper thread to park the The Quiet Bus in.

About 20 years ago, the 60s electronic music pioneer Pauline Oliveros devised a philosophy called Deep Listening, through her Deep Listening Band;

“Deep Listening specializes in performing and recording in resonant or reverberant spaces such as cathedrals (sound familiar?) and huge underground cisterns including the two million gallon Fort Worden Cistern which has a 45 second reverberation time.

After wading through much philosophastery, you’ll find that, cruicially, Deep Listening is a sort of ‘anti-ambient Ambient’ if you like. Unlike Eno – it asks that you treat these quiet forms, not as background, but as you would say - works by Beethoven or Wagner. It demands that you listen.

I think The Quiet Man is somewhere between both philosophies, uniquely developing it’s own ideal. As I said before, for me, The piano work on here is much more fragile, much more subtle than on previous Quiet Man recordings – which are practically Motörhead in comparison – so light is the touch here, like the Quiet Man sat alone with his crumbling book, I feel that to listen too hard may cause the sound to turn to mist. The piano work, in its own quiet way, screams ‘ambient’. But the text isn’t. The text is (and still is) a life’s work and demands to be heard, and should be heard.

So, (and maybe I’m thinking about it too much, but here’s the point) how do you listen to The Quiet Man?

I’ve tried the Deep Listening approach – late at night, headphones on and all is dark. But my mind wanders, occasionally The Quiet Man comes out of mist and then he’s off again – Hyde Park probably. I lose the thread but catch the flow. And then I fall asleep.

Another night, The Quiet Man as radio play – I’m reading a book, treating it as ambience now, but there’s too much interference - The Quiet Man may be anonymous but the prose isn’t and the striking imagery cuts through the room, the book and demands to be heard.

Foxx once said a long time ago when he stepped back into the light again that;

“It’s music for cities and people who live in cities. And that’s always been confirmed because if we play in the West Country nobody comes! But if we play in Manchester, and everywhere we go – the industrial places are the places that recognise the music straight away. You take it into the countryside – it doesn’t work….it’s a new form of urban blues…”

Yes he was talking about Shifting City but I thought about this recently and decided to take The Quiet Man out and about on my journeys to work; on the District Line, through St. James’ Park, Victoria Station etc. And although those places are particular to London I got the sense that any city would work, but essentially, it has to be a city. As I wandered through rush-hour traffic and people, through all the noise of a city The Quiet Man filtered in and out with the cars, the trains, the noise – and for me it worked.

God help you if you live in the Peak District! smile

#30924 08/06/09 02:00 PM
H
H
Quote:
I’ve tried the Deep Listening approach – late at night, headphones on and all is dark. But my mind wanders, occasionally The Quiet Man comes out of mist and then he’s off again – Hyde Park probably. I lose the thread but catch the flow. And then I fall asleep.
Is that so bad? BITD I used to go to classical guitar and lute recitals and I would often find myself 'drifting off' (not to sleep!) and thinking about things not directly related to the music being played. My mind would wander to the venue and the architecture and what I was going to drink at the interval.

I don't want to get too 'Robert Fripp' about this but any listening experience cannot be separated from the location, time and context in which it happens and all you can do is put yourself in the space and go with the flow.

#30925 08/06/09 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Halloway:
Quote:
Is that so bad? BITD I used to go to classical guitar and lute recitals and I would often find myself 'drifting off' (not to sleep!) and thinking about things not directly related to the music being played. My mind would wander to the venue and the architecture and what I was going to drink at the interval.

I don't want to get too 'Robert Fripp' about this but any listening experience cannot be separated from the location, time and context in which it happens and all you can do is put yourself in the space and go with the flow.
Absolutely. Spot on.

My thinking (too much) was that I was doing the album a disservice by treating it as ambience when there’s such a body of work in the text.

But I’ve found a happy medium by listening to it whilst out walking through the city. It’s not deep listening, but it’s not ambience either – it’s between the two, which is where I feel The Quiet Man is.

Ultimately, I need to think less and get out more!
laugh

#30926 08/06/09 06:27 PM
F
F
Steve sums it up quite well! smile
The Quiet Man has been around since the beginning.
To me The Quiet Man is the sum of all his songs, albeit sans the music which belongs to the songs.
As a non-native english speaker it was easy to follow for me (how about the other "foreigners" here?)
It really matches to the songs I heard for years, or you can safely say they match to The Quiet Man.
In the end they evoke the same imagery with me.

Would have loved to have the music separate from the spoken text as well, I really like The Quiet Man's "soundtrack".
I tried to raise to volume in order to hear it more clearly but then the vocal part blasts through the speakers here.
I'm sure it would please a lot of people, including myself, if this was released as well *hint hint* laugh

Very, very pleased with this piece of work!

Greetings,
one happy grey suited customer wink

#30927 08/07/09 08:14 AM
C
C
Must dig out the copies of 'The Service' as I think the text for the first track 'The Quiet Man' was the first two pieces from the magazine put together, first one called 'I remember'
Cheers

#30928 08/07/09 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Craig:
Must dig out the copies of 'The Service' as I think the text for the first track 'The Quiet Man' was the first two pieces from the magazine put together, first one called 'I remember'
Cheers
Hi Craig,

You'll find the texts here on this very site;

http://www.metamatic.com/zQuietmandocs/thequietman.html

http://www.metamatic.com/zQuietmandocs/remember.html

#30929 08/09/09 08:26 AM
Administrator
Administrator

John Foxx, Tower Bridge Angel c2009

JMW Turner, Chain Pier Brighton c1828

wink

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#30930 08/09/09 08:29 AM
Administrator
Administrator
I went to Petworth House in Sussex last week, specifically to get first hand experience of their magnificent paintings and enjoy the Turners in their 'original' setting. he was artist in residence for a while,a nd painted several landscapes of the parkland and lakes.

This painting, The Chain Pier, really leapt off the wall at me and hit that "I knew I'd seen that before" switch which came to mind when The Quiet Man artwork was first published.
I'm only suggesting there's an element of inspiration for John Foxx here, but I think there's enough of a resemblance for it to be more than just coincidence.

I was particularly struck by the shape of the largest sail, the body of the boat and the pier/bridge itself. Look at the proportions, the light on the water etc.

And The Sky

The neo-Romantic element is present in both - the poetic image of man and nature; Naturalistic, pictures of light etc

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#30931 08/09/09 09:34 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Roby:

Just listened to The Quiet Man for the first time. Wow. It's a remarkable work.

Indeed it is. I have played it several times this week, and it is really fragile and haunting.

I realise too that the Barton/Foxx argument can be fuelled by lstening to John's reading of The Grey Suit (to elements of 'Translucence') that features on The Hidden Man...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.