Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#30905 07/25/09 09:35 PM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
I'm surprised there's not thread for this event yet.

Anyone have feedback/pictures/comments they'd like to share...?
Which stories did John read??

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#30906 07/26/09 04:30 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
I'm surprised there's not thread for this event yet.

Anyone have feedback/pictures/comments they'd like to share...?
There were some comments posted in the Announcements section under the DNA thread.

#30907 07/26/09 07:13 AM
The Archive
The Archive
Below are some pictures from The Apple Store event...

Mark Gatiss, who introduced John...

John performing The Quiet Man...

John reading A Man Made of Shadows...

John taking questions from the audience...

Rob

#30908 07/26/09 10:15 AM
Nice pictures Rob,

My view from the back row was a bit obscured:( mad

Brian

#30909 07/26/09 12:03 PM
oh no Brian.......did you make it there on time?

Great photos of John.

#30910 07/26/09 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by maryann:
oh no Brian.......did you make it there on time?

Great photos of John.
Nope frown

#30911 07/26/09 12:24 PM
Hi Everyone,

Hope all those that attended had a nice evening at the Apple Store on Friday.

John was incredible, as ever.

Had a chat with him after the performace, as usual, and took this rather nice photo of him.

Dave.

#30912 07/26/09 02:36 PM
Great pics thanks for sharing them.

Bad luck Brian, there would have been more pics/vids no doubt.

#30913 07/26/09 07:03 PM
G
Gem Offline
G
This was a fantastic event - John was on great form and seemed to be enjoying himself, which is always good to see. There was a really nice, supportive atmosphere, increased by Mark Gatiss' lovely, touching introduction smile . It was also great to chat to Rob, Dave, Peter and Gary! Thanks for the pics!

So sorry you couldn't make it, Brian - I wondered where you'd got to, as I thought you'd said you were planning to come frown . What a shame. I hope everyone who's going to DNA tomorrow (and during the course of the week) has a great time - from what John was saying, it sounds like it's going to be amazing!

#30914 07/27/09 09:07 AM
Just a note about the event on Friday

The Quiet Man film shown was shown, Foxx played live, whilst the Barton narration played over the film. This was followed by A Man Made of Shadows – a b/w film which John not Justin Barton did the narration for. The text to A Man Made of Shadows is very different from the other Quiet Man texts as it is about the Quiet Man from an outsiders perspective and not from The Quiet Man himself. The footage used was repurposed from old Hollywood movies amongst other films (I think one film used was an early Cary Grant one, but I can’t be sure). Footage from Tiny Colour Movies’ Stray Sinatra Neurone had also been repurposed for the film also.

During the Q&A Session John mentioned that he has nearly finished The Quiet Man book – a subject raised earlier by Mark Gatiss, and did hint that he would try and get it finished and published next year.

The questions then turned to film. Foxx mentioned that, as a child growing up in Chorley his parents had a shop and that when the shop closed early on Wednesdays (a tradition in England until the late 80s), his mum would take him to the cinema to watch black and white films. John said that many of these films had content that went ‘over his head’ and so he would invent his own storylines for them, his favourite being Robot Monster.

He then talked about the beauty of Technicolor, notably the blue of swimming pools in the Burt Lancaster film The Swimmer which John said had made a big impact on him. He also talk briefly of John Cheever who wrote The Swimmer. John said of Cheever that he was “one of the best writers ever”.

Foxx was then asked if he’d considered putting together a requiem for the late J.G. Ballard. Foxx said he had and also for Nigel Kneale – creator of Quatermass, but that other projects meant that this would take time. Foxx mentioned that as a child, he had wandered out onto the street after watching the final episode of Quatermass and noticed that the streets were completely empty, as people had stayed in to watch the final episode.

Wrapping up, Foxx quipped that the Apple event was like a Saturday morning at the pictures, and that he’d see us all next year for Episode Two of The Quiet Man.

A big hello to Rob, Gem, Peter and Dave!

Gazza

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.