Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
OP Offline
H
Yes, it's another one of those idle speculation threads!

Back in the days of "The Service" fan club magazine, there was an edition that came out circa 1984/5 listing the titles of some of the new tracks that John was working on, which subsequently formed part of the "In Mysterious Ways" album.

As is the nature of such things, several of the listed songs didn't make it onto the finished album but finally appeared on the 2CD re-release last year. However - one track called "My City And My Pride" has to the best of my knowledge never been performed or released. I'm just curious to know if there ever was a song of this name and if so, what happened to it?

And just in case I imagined it, I found an old thread on the Ultravox forum that confirms I didn't!

http://www.ultravox.org.uk/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000345#000000

Hmm, interesting. Didn't know about this.

I would suspect that the song was either unfinished (hence not being included on last year's reissue) or renamed as something we already know.

I'm sure Mr Harris will duly inform us smile

The Archive
The Archive
Quote:
Originally posted by Herbert the turbot:
Yes, it's another one of those idle speculation threads!

Back in the days of "The Service" fan club magazine, there was an edition that came out circa 1984/5 listing the titles of some of the new tracks that John was working on, which subsequently formed part of the "In Mysterious Ways" album.
There were only ever two editions of The Service - both of which WILL be featured in the (soon to be revamped and expanded) Archive . The track-listing to which you're referring to was part of the introduction to the second edition.

Quote:
Originally posted by Herbert the turbot:
As is the nature of such things, several of the listed songs didn't make it onto the finished album but finally appeared on the 2CD re-release last year. However - one track called "My City And My Pride" has to the best of my knowledge never been performed or released. I'm just curious to know if there ever was a song of this name and if so, what happened to it?
A track entitled My City and My Pride definitely existed at some point.

As for why it didn't appear on the remastered double disc edition of In Mysterious Ways? Maybe the tape which contained it fell apart when it was being transferred, maybe the tape had been incorrectly labeled and there wasn't time to go searching through the other tapes for it, maybe the tape was successfully transferred - but John doesn't like the track anymore, or maybe the track will eventually be released at some point in the future, perhaps under a different name. At the moment it really doesn't matter.

But that's no different from the other tracks whose existence (for whatever reason) have become common knowledge despite never having been formally released - The Joker, Radio Beach, Hanging in the Air, The Shadow of Your Smile, Eurotrash, Meeting Venus, City Doesn't Care, Car Crash Flashback, The Day the World Ended, Dark Love, Storms of Things, Do the Mutation, etc. The fact that they exist (or once existed) doesn't necessarily mean that they will ever get released. This happens all the time - just because a track comes into being doesn't mean that it should ever see the light of day.

When the Discography gets 'upgraded' (it's one of the many things I'm currently working on) then all of these tracks will be featured, with a note of their current 'status' so that when this subject is raised again (as it inevitably will be) the information will be easier for everyone to find.

Oddly enough, this reminds me of a thread from a while back where I was being asked when the track TBC was going to be released. wink

Rob

"Do the mutation"....

What a title!!! John has simply got to release that one at some point!!! laugh

The Archive
The Archive
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
"Do the mutation".... What a title!!! John has simply got to release that one at some point!!! laugh
It IS a great title - but I really can't imagine that it'll ever get released... wink

Rob

I recognise some of those titles from what's been said about Blitz, but I'll be interested to find out what periods those other titles (especially that one!) are from.

I was going through some of the EV PDFs recently and had totally forgotten that a tracklisting for Urban Motets had been listed in there too. I thought it was interesting to see how those song titles are very much in-keeping with those of the Cathedral Oceans albums and My Lost City.

That is one album like many fans (OK, all fans) I really hope sees the light of day at some point. I guess it would kind of complete the cycle of city-themed instrumental works.

I take it those titles will appear in the archive?

Administrator
Administrator
The other track mentioned in The Service, alongside "My City and My Pride" was (then) called "And Of The Sky".

This has subsequently been released on the definitive 2xCD edition of In Mysterious Ways as "And The Sky"

(see later correction)

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
The Archive
The Archive
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
The other track mentioned in The Service, alongside "My City and My Pride" was (then) called "And Of The Sky".

This has subsequently been released on the definitive 2xCD edition of In Mysterious Ways as "And The Sky"
Precisely... laugh

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
I recognise some of those titles from what's been said about Blitz, but I'll be interested to find out what periods those other titles (especially that one!) are from.

I was going through some of the EV PDFs recently and had totally forgotten that a tracklisting for [b]Urban Motets
had been listed in there too. I thought it was interesting to see how those song titles are very much in-keeping with those of the Cathedral Oceans albums and My Lost City.

That is one album like many fans (OK, all fans) I really hope sees the light of day at some point. I guess it would kind of complete the cycle of city-themed instrumental works.

I take it those titles will appear in the archive? [/b]
Absolutely... and just for the record, they are A Charmed Life, Twilight Avenues, Finsbury Square, Arriving, As Best I Could, Lost Apartment, Unspecified City, Watching the Patterns in Passing Crowds, I Will Always Meet You, A Many Splendoured Thing and Summer Lover.

Rob

Administrator
Administrator
Perhaps there's going to be a release one day entitled

"My Lost RECORDINGS"... or "My Lost TAPES" :p

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
The Archive
The Archive
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
Perhaps there's going to be a release one day entitled

"My Lost RECORDINGS"... or "My Lost TAPES" :p
Don't say that... eek

Otherwise I'll get asked when My Lost Recordings and My Lost Tapes are going to get released... wink

Rob

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.