Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#30576 02/07/09 10:45 PM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
I know we've been discussing "My Lost City" for instance and the F. Scott Fitzgerald essay on that thread, as well as the superb photographs of 1950s New York, but I felt that material deserved a thread of its own so that we could expand on it more.

Influential films, paintings, authors etc

Here's another example of a photographer whose work has some direct relevance to John's own ideas...

Eugene Atget

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#30577 02/08/09 02:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
I know we've been discussing "My Lost City" for instance and the F. Scott Fitzgerald essay on that thread, as well as the superb photographs of 1950s New York, but I felt that material deserved a thread of its own so that we could expand on it more.

Influential films, paintings, authors etc
I'd been meaning to reply to your post but this new thread is a better place to reply.

When JF sings about a mission bell in Drive I'd always assumed it was a reference to The Eagles' Hotel California but now I'm thinking it might be a reference to Ernest Hemingway's For Whom The Bell Tolls.

Of course, the He's a Liquid homage is well known (and has been discussed here before).

Europe After The Rain is taken from a title of a Max Ernst painting (a direct pinch as JF once remarked in a radio interview).

Twilight's Last Gleaming is the title of a movie made in 1977 with Burt Lancaster and Richard Widmark.

This Side of Paradise was the title of F. Scott Fitzgerald's debut novel. It took its title from a line of the Rupert Brooke poem Tiare Tahiti. Its also the title of episode #24 of Star Trek (TOS). Bryan Adams also wrote a song with the same title.

JG Ballard, of course, is supposed to be his most influential author.

Quote:

Show room dummies?

#30578 02/09/09 09:48 PM
S
S
http://www.metamatic.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000209#000007

#30579 02/09/09 10:36 PM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Excellent!

Thanks for reminding me of that thread! cool

Rob - Do you need to move this over to that, to keep it all together, or are we OK with two threads?

note to self - use the bl**dy SEARCH button

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#30580 02/10/09 09:54 AM
In case anyone in the UK is interested - The Times is giving away copies of F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby today with the newspaper. The copies I saw were being given away at Sainsburys so I don't know about other outlets.

#30581 10/13/09 12:49 PM
Q
Q
Peter Baumann.Influence?Big Influence?

#30582 10/17/09 07:55 AM
Jean Tinguely (1925–1991)

http://radicalart.info/process/vibration/metamatic/index.html

The Meta-matics (1959) are meta-artworks in a different sense: they are machines which automatically create infinite sequences of drawings

"Tinguely discovered an almost inexhaustible source — a mechanism whose goal was not precision but anti-precision, the mechanics of chance."

"In machines intended for practical use the engineer tries to reduce the irregularities as much as possible. Tinguely is after the exact opposite. His objective is mechanical disorder. His cog-wheels are so constructed that they jump the cogs continually, jam, and start turning again, unpredictably. The same movement can appear ten times in succession and then, apparently, never be repeated again. This creates an unusually acute sense of time."

#30583 10/18/09 05:02 PM
I visted the Jean Tinguely museum in Basel, Switzerland last year. Some crazy works but somehow very fascinating to watch the various parts moving.When set in motion they are like metal monsters waking from slumber

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.