Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
OP Offline
H
You may have seen me having a go at Jori Hulkonnen's terrible remixes on the "free download" thread and, if you disagree, are probably thinking "Well what makes you think you could do any better?".
Seeing as many of us who post on here also make our own music, wouldn't it be nice if John were to post mp3 samples of his acapella vocals from a song of his choice (or even a new one) and we could all have a go at remixing it, with whoever's is judged to be the best appearing on John's Myspace site or perhaps as a free download elsewhere?

H
H
It's a nice idea but don't hold your breath.

Actually being a turbot of course you can't hold your breath. Don't hold your gills.

Not a bad idea and one I imagine John might be supportive of. I think the first port of call is to approach Steve Mallins and see what he thinks?

Sounds like a good idea in theory and if it ever got off the ground, would certainly produce some interesting results.

Peter

Sound like a good idea to me as well.

I remember a few years ago Peter Gabriel offered people a chance to do some remixes.

Actually I'm already doing a remix for someone else at the moment. wink

I'll have to see if it works out.

Brian

Hmmm, I'm really not sure about this one. Probably because I am not a musician? Perhaps we should get Juri to critique the offerings?
Also, be careful what you wish for - I don't think the world is quite ready for my acapella/human beatbox version of Burning Car!

Quote:
Originally posted by solenoid:
Hmmm, I'm really not sure about this one. Probably because I am not a musician? Perhaps we should get Juri to critique the offerings?
Also, be careful what you wish for - I don't think the world is quite ready for my acapella/human beatbox version of Burning Car!
You do NOT need to be a musician to make music - ask the original punks, in fact - being a musician is probably a hinderence.

I would LOVE to hear your acapella/human beatbox version of Burning Car! smile

My remix is done & up on position 1 on my myspace player:-

http://www.myspace.com/themateyblokes

Its a remix of Ladyhawke's Back of the Van which will probably be her next single.

It was done for a competition.

The winner gets to on the B side of the new single & wins a guitar.

I've never remixed anything before.
So I dont even know what I'm doing,just making up as I go as usual.

It was great fun to do.

I used My PC,Free Audacity software & my £200 MicroKorg

Look under her blog on Myspace for details & where to download the stems.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=27387766

Go on a have a go. laugh

So Mr Foxx & Mr Gordon how about it then?

Brian

Quote:
Originally posted by RadioBeach:
Quote:
Originally posted by solenoid:
[b] Hmmm, I'm really not sure about this one. Probably because I am not a musician? Perhaps we should get Juri to critique the offerings?
You do NOT need to be a musician to make music - ask the original punks, in fact - being a musician is probably a hinderence.

I would LOVE to hear your acapella/human beatbox version of Burning Car! smile [/b]
I am humbled by your generosity!!!! smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian:
My remix is done & up on position 1 on my myspace player:-
http://www.myspace.com/themateyblokes
Its a remix of Ladyhawke's Back of the Van which will probably be her next single.
That is very good Brian, one of the most interesting tracks you've posted so far.

Glad you liked it Ken.

I just fancied 'electroing' it up a bit.

The bassline & synths & some wierd noises are my contributions (I like my wierd noises laugh )

I think this has already been single as there is a video on Youtube of the original mix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhPh6ou8Kbk&feature=channel

Brian

Quote:
Originally posted by Herbert the turbot:
. . . wouldn't it be nice if John were to post mp3 samples of his acapella vocals from a song of his choice (or even a new one) and we could all have a go at remixing it, with whoever's is judged to be the best appearing on John's Myspace site or perhaps as a free download elsewhere?
Getting official permission/authorization from John Foxx for that seems about as likely as his announcing that he is recording the Abba covers suggested in another thread! laugh

F
F
Depeche Mode and less famous ones did so already on Acidplanet...
The initiative has to come from the artist/management though.

And what do the artists & management get out of it?

In the case of Ladyhawke I got a Myspace message telling my about it.

When I downloaded the stems they asked for my email address.

So they are collecting email addresses for marketing purposes & getting possible free remixes out of it.

Seems like good low cost marketing to me. wink

F
F
Make it into a competition and as such publicity, that's the whole point i think

How long before we get to hear the Rolf Harris / wobble board version?

Hmm, come to think of it, maybe Jori can cover one of Rolf's songs! laugh

H
OP Offline
H
Nice to see some other people being as enthusiastic about this as me, but as there's been no "official" response, should we assume that John doesn't think this is something he wants to do? If not, fair enough but it would be nice to hear one way or the other.

I can't access Myspace where I am - does anyone know another way of contacting John or Steve Malins directly?

The Archive
The Archive
Quote:
Nice to see some other people being as enthusiastic about this as me, but as there's been no "official" response, should we assume that John doesn't think this is something he wants to do? If not, fair enough but it would be nice to hear one way or the other.
You only started this thread a mere three weeks ago. Just because there's been no 'immediate' response doesn't mean that this has been ignored or dismissed.

Besides, this is something that's already in the process of being considered. In an ideal world I'm sure that it would be nice if we could do something similar to what's been done over on the website for the David Byrne and Brian Eno album My Life in the Bush of Ghosts, but all of that takes a huge amount of work and it simply can't be set up in two minutes.

Quote:
I can't access Myspace where I am - does anyone know another way of contacting John or Steve Malins directly?
You can contact John via this very website , or by using the following address - johnfoxx@metamatic.com.

Rob

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.