Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
It's clear to us all (and hopefully many, many others...) that John Foxx is undergoing something of a renaissance at the moment. Thanks to Steve's input, strategy, hard work etc, and all the others involved making 'now' what it is, John Foxx is now enjoying probably the highest profile of his career. Certainly since the 'shallow' days of pop stardom in 80/81.

His music and art reaches across many spectrums and touches many genres in all kinds of hidden and subtle ways, and there is certainly more of it available now than there has ever been.

I'm thinking that John must surely soon be invited to appear on the Culture Show/the South Bank Show/Desert Island Discs be awarded a Mobo/Emmy/Novello/achievement - something. eek

As far as I'm aware only a couple of very short pieces have ever been used in film soundtracks and the like. I'm sure its only a matter of time before something is used, for instance, in a TV commercial, or he gets approached to score a film, contribute art to a major commercial project of something. That really would seal his place in the scheme of things and - inevitably - sort that retirement plan out once and for all.

I know there were a lot of journalists/media pixies at Cargo last night, all of whom could have a part to play in making a legacy from this fruitful period that will benefit not only John but his family and the music business for generations to come.

I started thinking of a TV ad at first, which quickly developed into the Thought Experiment described above.

What does anyone else think?

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Some nice thoughts there Martin. One of the discussions we had yesterday (before you arrived) was looking at Johns solo career. 1980/83 there were only 4 albums plus "B" sides on vinyl. Now John dominates my CD collection. He has certainly been more prolific since his return and I'm that I'm sure is down to Steve Malins and meeting Louis Gordon.

For me John has always been a cult artist and has a loyal group of fans. I wonder sometimes if John ever sought fame and fortune? I'm guessing that music for him is primarily an hobby, has opposed to a main source of income. I'm sure that comes from lecturing.

How many times have I heard John Foxx WHO?

It's well known that he has been a big influence on many artisits and has been credited for this in many articles.

I'd love to see John's name more widely known amongst the general public. I'm sure one day he'll receive wider recognition plus someone will use his music for an advert on TV and on the grander scale perhaps a film.

Going to Japan and Australia can't have done him any harm. I know fans in the USA would love to see him and I'm surprised he hasn't been there yet.

I'm glad that he's still around doing what he does best. smile

Bigger than ever - Yes

Peter

C
C
Well, if we leap back to those four solo albums of the '80's which all of us have been revisiting very intently in some way or the other, we feel without any hesitation that one or two of these are the type of classics that hopefully will come back around again into their own season. There’s also the great expectation that eventually people will be able to rediscover them as enthusiastically as when we first encountered them, and that this will grow over time until finally their status has been permanently raised as icons of their time and place.

I think we all hope or feel that there is always just a chance that another golden age may happen with John’s music, it may be smaller than before, but I’m sure it could be just as rewarding as those past classic’s were. He’s an older gentleman now, but still with a young heart full of passion for his work, able to keep proceeding with it amidst life’s hurdles against person and creativity, and that, and luck, are the factors that a good artist always needs in order to be able to remain being an artist.

While I've been 'pondering' IMW I’ve become really convinced that John has another classic waiting within him. He didn’t really finish off the path he was on, he got momentarily lost, but I don’t think he went completely down a blind alley either. Maybe he needs to attempt the risky path again as he did earlier, and I really hope that with whatever factors there are in the ether right now that all of these are going to be positive and contribute to allowing that to happen again for him.

Also, sites like YouTube and MySpace is most likely to be exposing John's works to a wider audience, as well as making it easy to access his music and his works as a visual artist (i.e. TCM), no? smile

C
C
His avant garde stuff with Ultravox and his first four solo albums made a real impression on me. He does attract those with an arty taste in music and perhaps not the ordinary man who wants to hear what's popular in the charts and in the discos.

However, his renaissance has been spectacular and he is as creative as ever. As a fan, I'm ecstatic (as you already know from my posts) about all his releases in this century.

Even though there has been a considerable number of releases in the last couple of years this has by no means diluted his creativity. Every release is unique and exciting as the other. There's a lot of thought, attention and craftmanship gone into the music, design, packaging and promotion. John has a fantastic team around him.

On-line promotion and selling has helped in distributing John's work to evey corner of the globe and naturally to everyone who likes John and to everyone who wants to discover his art.

It won't be long when one of his tunes gets selected for a commercial. Film music may happen one day.

Touring places like Japan and Australia has been positive moves. Canada and the US would be next and other places like Italy (again), Germany and France accompanied by some promotion.

There's no need for lavish shows or state of the art stage presentation. John has got it right and the slide-shows and minimalistic lighting works. The Human League used this to great effect in their early days. A John Foxx concert breathes vintage, classic, analogue...retro-future romance.

Chris wink

C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris C:
There's no need for lavish shows or state of the art stage presentation. John has got it right and the slide-shows and minimalistic lighting works. The Human League used this to great effect in their early days. A John Foxx concert breathes vintage, classic, analogue...retro-future romance
Well said, John just needs to keep this beast in good shape.
Quote:
Originally posted by Sans Frontieres:
YouTube and MySpace is most likely to be exposing John's works to a wider audience, as well as making it easy to access his music and his works as a visual artist
His renaissance draws strength from staying on the path that so well defines his musical style, but I hope that he can also be afforded the luxury to take a risk with more experimentation, and reveal his 'Kid A', to his 'OK Computer', and maybe release something wilder running parallel to the tried and trusted horse that he knows will always carry him safely home.

Quote:
Originally posted by core memory:
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris C:
[b]There's no need for lavish shows or state of the art stage presentation. John has got it right and the slide-shows and minimalistic lighting works. The Human League used this to great effect in their early days. A John Foxx concert breathes vintage, classic, analogue...retro-future romance
Well said, John just needs to keep this beast in good shape.
Quote:
Originally posted by Sans Frontieres:
YouTube and MySpace is most likely to be exposing John's works to a wider audience, as well as making it easy to access his music and his works as a visual artist
His renaissance draws strength from staying on the path that so well defines his musical style, but I hope that he can also be afforded the luxury to take a risk with more experimentation, and reveal his 'Kid A', to his 'OK Computer', and maybe release something wilder running parallel to the tried and trusted horse that he knows will always carry him safely home. [/b]
I think to a certain extent he does that... with Cathedral Oceans and the Tiny Colour Movies projects.

When I saw John in Japan on the two nights he played here, one thing was very clear - he was enjoying himself. So was Louis. When I compare that to the time I saw him in '83 I can't recall seeing such a genuine smile as well as really getting in to the music.

Maybe that enjoyment is coming across well, as well as a wealth of good material that is being discovered or rediscovered. As for appering on TV, etc? Nah, we should keep it our little secret! I think that once the scale gets bigger the enjoyment could probably disappear. Of course I realise that this could be a loss of income for John, but I have never had him in the "in it for the money" category - he is just too creative and in many ways, ahead of his time!

Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
I would agree with you about the motives, re 'cash' etc. I hope I haven't implied that and I genuinely believe that wouldn't be the reason for doing anything like we are discussing. eek

My angle was really more about John being approached with opportunities in respect of his higher public profile now, and the recognition of his influence on things

Quote:
Originally posted by MintyTux:
I think to a certain extent he does that... with Cathedral Oceans and the Tiny Colour Movies projects.
I think you're absolutely right here.
For my money, this material is John's very best and the kind of thing, I think, he is moving more towards. Hence the suggestion there may not be any 'electro' dates next year...

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
I think some of the reason John's had so much success of late is because he covers so many musical areas. These days its electronic albums, the 'C.O.' trilogy, 'TCM', and piano works with Harold Budd etc. Im sure the suggestion of no 'electro' dates next year, is more to do with no follow up to 'From Trash' at this moment. It would be wrong for John to restrict himself to one or two areas only, when obviously things have been working fine this way.

As for fame and money. I dont think John wants more than he already has. Its also unlikely that releasing loads of albums would increase the fame at this stage in his career. Maybe hes become more well known again, but thats a different thing. And sure, hes making a bit more money again these days. The bottom line though i think, is that John's enjoying what he does now more than ever, and hes making all these albums for himself and us, the select 'few'.

Even so, it would be nice for 'the wider stage' to notice John's brilliant writing skills, be it just for one song, or a film score.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.