Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#29383 09/27/08 10:07 PM
Administrator
Administrator
I've been to a few gigs where 'Vienna' has been shouted out from the crowd.
Foxx gigs obviously - no-one shouted it last time I saw Marc Almond, for instance :p

It's certainly not a new thing, and was definitely present at gigs in 2006 as well. John didn't react in any noticeable way whatsoever and I have not attended any show where its been stopped because of it.
Bu isn't that kind of thing just what happens? It's considerably less annoying than the football chants of 'Foxxx-eee' 'Foxxx-eee' (a la Nooo-man, nooo-man) before the encore. That really is crass.

Getting back on topic, I'd have to say that I've not read or heard any interviews or comments from John Foxx where he is anything less than respectful to Ultravox.

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#29384 09/27/08 10:08 PM
G
Gem Offline
G
Lieutenant 030 - 'That's because Luminaire has a clearly defined policy "You talk, you leave!"'

Yeah, good point - I'd forgotten about that. On the evidence of that evening, the policy seems to work a treat.

#29385 09/27/08 10:20 PM
Ive heard the shout for 'Vienna' several times over the years, maybe John dont react much, partly because hes a quiet man, smile and also its just boring now.

The best fun is listening to Numan fans shout out, (especially in the early days when quite a few songs started with one synth) 'Cars', 'Films', or 'Metal' etc. Needless to say, they were usually wrong.

And only once, did i hear someone shout 'Cars' to the intro for 'Underpass'. :rolleyes:

#29386 09/27/08 10:24 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by lieutenant030:
That's because Luminaire has a clearly defined policy "You talk, you leave!"
eek That would never work in NYC!

#29387 09/28/08 04:33 PM
C
C
The show wasn't stopped at the ICA, John just carried on - if someone was asked to leave I don't think the majority of the audience noticed it, nor did it affect anyone's night (except the person that shouted 'vienna' I suppose)
Cheers

#29388 09/28/08 05:10 PM
C
C
Sorry about shouting that out , it's the tourettes
y'know

Fortunatley they let me back in wink

Seriously though nobody was ejected, although should anybody attempt it (feline) it's not funny at all

Chris1

#29389 09/29/08 12:39 AM
G
Gem Offline
G
Quote:
Originally posted by Craig:
The show wasn't stopped at the ICA, John just carried on - if someone was asked to leave I don't think the majority of the audience noticed it, nor did it affect anyone's night (except the person that shouted 'vienna' I suppose)
Cheers
Yeah, as far as I was aware none of the people who were shouting out were challenged in any way at the ICA. John certainly never showed any sign of being discomfited by it (in fact, if memory serves I think I saw him laughing at one point!) The guy who originally posted this never actually said which London gig it was - I just mentioned the ICA to illustrate the point that this sort of thing does, sadly, happen frown .

#29390 09/29/08 12:52 AM
G
Gem Offline
G
Quote:
Originally posted by chris curran:
Sorry about shouting that out , it's the tourettes
y'know

Fortunatley they let me back in wink

Seriously though nobody was ejected, although should anybody attempt it (feline) it's not funny at all

Chris1
Did anyone ever see that episode of Father Ted where the priests decide to shout "I don't believe it!" at a passing Richard Wilson (of One Foot In The Grave fame), because "He definitely won't ever have heard *that* before!" That would be like shouting "Underpass!" at John.

Now, imagine if the priests had ironically shouted "Garlic bread?!?" at RW instead. How much more annoying is someone else's catchphrase?

I hope this fabulously learned and well-informed analogy makes my point adequately laugh .

#29391 09/29/08 03:33 PM
F
F
Quote:
Originally posted by chris curran:
Yes but it's precisely BECAUSE it's not funny at all that means the very fact that I've still done it is funny IN ITSELF

#29392 09/29/08 10:30 PM
I've been to all the London gigs since John and Louis started touring and I've never heard anyone shout out for Vienna.
Everyone seems to be there to celebrate John's music and have a good time.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.