Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
F
F
I am loving the arpeggiators on the alternative version of "A Long Time" - it's a shame the bass register one isn't clearer in the mix, as it's really getting rather 'acid' -
I guess it was 1983 and nobody realised yet that by 1988 a bass line like that would be made the focus of entire tracks smile

C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by Herbert the turbot:
I believe that a colour version of the GS inner sleeve was used as the cover of the "Like A Miracle" single.
Finally got to look at my old 12" singles today, and of course you are correct, I was very mistakenly thinking of another B/W photo of John, which was actually used on the Enter the angel 12"

(There's a £1.99 sticker on my Like a miracle 12", is that still cheaper by comparison to today's CD singles? laugh ...I don't buy any)

Quote:
Originally posted by feline1:
I am loving....."A Long Time"
This is a real highlight on disc 2, along with 'Swimmer 4'.

Indeed... the version of "A Long Time" on this CD is fantastic. It's even more remarkable (to me at least), that a notably different version of a song I've always liked, has such a positive effect on me.

Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
I'm listening to this NOW for the first time and wow - it is quite a revelation!!

Has anyone else noticed the occasional difference between the track qualifers in iTunes and those written on the CD artwork?
For instance on TGS Disc 2, the CD promises/threatens us with an extended version of 'Tigers', but in effect this is only 12 seconds longer than the original and is described in iTunes as a 'remix' instead. Which it is. More like. confused

Curious as to why there would be a remix of this? Is it just a different mix they ended up not using/liking? It's pretty good - except for that bl**dy bas guitar that makes me cringe and the plinky-plinky-this-is-the-eighties melody in the backgound of the last minute or so...
I don't recall any promotional purpose at the time...?

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
T
T
Impression 1 (extra tracks only):

It was glorious to hear altered versions of TGS tracks under bright blue skies at the weekend. I couldn't wait until summer, I told it so, so the summer returned! There is so much detail in these songs. Makes TGS my favourite Foxx album, if not necessarily his best. "Shine On Me" is great.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ishikawa:
Indeed... the version of "A Long Time" on this CD is fantastic. It's even more remarkable (to me at least), that a notably different version of a song I've always liked, has such a positive effect on me.
Yes, its not just a slightly different take, its a very different version. I almost like this better than the original, and that dont happen too often for me with Foxx classics.

Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
OK I've done it. Temptation got the better of me and I had to fit TGS into the spectrum this week. I knew I was going to enjoy it, and that's what put me off.
Make sense? No?

Read on...

In fear of tigers

The Golden Section 2008, by birdsong

Well, well Mister artsy fartsy reviewer man. Aren't you in a spot?
What happens when you are faced with reviewing an album you've said you don't like. How clever are you then, eh? Eh?

Time for some revisionist sampling, some repurposing of a theory. Let's call it an 'opportunity for change'. Drums roll, Fairlights soar and tides turn. Opinions come and go on a kind of wave.
In my defense, I carry the crumbled cliches and over-worked niceties of politeness. All that is golden does not necessarily glitter, etc. A weak and shifting case...

For this re-mastered deluxe edition the Golden Section has been polished till it shines, radiating its light with a new iridescent certainty that I felt has been lacking before. If not lacking, then my excuse is that I simply couldn't see it.
First time round OK, I was complacent enough to consider myself a 'fan' of John Foxx, but perhaps no more so than I was a 'fan' of his contemporaries including Marc Almond, whose sublime Torment and Toreros eclipsed my appreciation of something as blatantly 'commercial' as Golden Section on an almost galactic scale.
The difference is that now - with 25 years of evolution, revision and research to call on (and some blistering advances in sound technology) I begin to understand The Golden Section.
In fact, its meaning and intention shine so brightly I'm a little embarassed to confess that I hadn't been aware of it before. Yes, I am blind.
Perhaps I was just too young and innocent to fully appreciate the complexity of this album, the mastery of its rhythm structures and the nonchalant bloody mindedness of its daring experimentation.
My understanding and appreciation is enhanced so much by the masterful composition of disc 2 that it casts a whole new shimmering glow on the 'rest' of the album proper. Though only one of the tracks is actually 'new' to my ears - the twangy, sing along rock out that is "Shine On Me", heralding some of the style changes Foxx would explore further on his next album - most of the rest are early, untreated versions of more familiar songs. In essence, the grit and the sand, the unpolished stones from which Zeus b Held charmed the sparkle in 1983. Disc Two reveals how things used to be, a year earlier, before everything was changed in a fortnight by the arrival of the ubiquitous Held with his cloth and beeswax, on a mission to make a hit.

John Foxx is at his creative zenith, pioneering electronic psychedelia with one hand and exhibiting extraordinary songmanship with the other, hitherto belied in his more familiar technological product. He is a man aflame, burning with creativity, writing with unwavering confidence, urgency and energy and with a reckless disregard for all that 'pop' music is meant to be. As 'Electro Syd Lennon', he combines Beatles-esque tape loops, drum patterns and harmonies with Floydian rhythms and overdubs, rich and delicate instrumentation crashed by the trademark groans and squelches that is undeniably and unmistakably Foxx. Lest we forget, he proves himself throughout to be a facile producer in his own right and to my untrained ear, a more than competent 'strummer' of the acoustic guitar.
The Golden Section, particularly disc two, contains some of the most innovative, visionary and misunderstood work of his career. I know, I know. I realise the implications. Everything crumbles to dust. Case dismissed... The quirky harmonics and delicate instrumentation on the early version of Twilight's Last Gleaming, for example, present John Foxx at his most seductive and mesmerising. These glittering fragments of a tangerine dream recur in Dance with Me, A Woman on A Stairway and Sitting at the Edge of The World, all of which exhibit an intoxicating spirit and depth. For this, I'm prepare to forgive the funk-infused thumb slapping bass that has always irritated me about The Hidden Man and Running Across Thin Ice, and the handclaps (???!!!) on My Wild Love. Even the groaning, roaring animal noises have a point now, demonstrating a mode of aesthetics that I just didn't 'get' before.
Throughout The Golden Section, John Foxx makes every nuance of sound count, every shiny chord and rhythm sequence, every word and every idea really matters. No one else has ever done this kind of thing with such underplayed audacity before - a genuinely adroit fusion of psychedelic, drug-implied experimentation and electronic dance music, beguiling and bewitching us with the subtle interplay of clipped, perfectly structured 'pop songs (A Kind of Wave, the Lifting Sky, Your Dress) that give this album its unifying thread.

So I stand corrected.
But I stand with arms outstretched rather than with cap in hand. In joyful and glorious, technicolour wonder.
I turn my shamed head to the sunset and someone at my right hand whispers "Can you believe this time?"

I turn around slowly and nod, smiling, no longer afraid of the tigers.

©birdsong, October 2008

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Quote:
Originally posted by the church puddle:
Impression 1 (extra tracks only):
"Shine On Me" is great.
Innit?
Great track. smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
In fear of tigers

The Golden Section 2008, by birdsong

Well, well Mister artsy fartsy reviewer man. Aren't you in a spot?
What happens when you are faced with reviewing an album you've said you don't like. How clever are you then, eh? Eh?

So I stand corrected.
But I stand with arms outstretched rather than with cap in hand. In joyful and glorious, technicolour wonder.
I turn my shamed head to the sunset and someone at my right hand whispers "Can you believe this time?"

I turn around slowly and nod, smiling, no longer afraid of the tigers.

©birdsong, October 2008

(Edit © MintyTux October 2008)
wink

Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.