Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#28265 06/16/08 11:42 AM
Nisei Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm a bit surprised that with all the bonus tracks on the re-issue CDs we never get to hear the version of Miles Away which can be found on the Japanese Burning Car compilation vinyl album. I'm 100% sure that it's a different recording/mix than the 7" version.
Robin, 12 years ago I gave you a copy of my Some Of Them compilation CD (if you still remember smile ) which contains this track. Is it possible to find out the story behind this track? I surely would like to see it remastered on CD since I like it better than the single release.
But perhaps the Metamatic 2003 Japan release has this version on it?

#28266 06/16/08 11:47 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Is this the same version that was used for the video?

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#28267 06/16/08 11:50 AM
Nisei Offline OP
OP Offline
Well I don't have a VCR anymore so I can't check my original Virgin tape but as far as I remember the answer is no. The version from the Japanese EP is a bit slower, sounds heavier (or fuller, difficult to describe). Oh and because it's slower the running time is also longer.

[edit] Just checked the video on youtube and that's definitely not the same version as the one on the EP. [/edit].

#28268 06/16/08 12:22 PM
It would be nice to hear this - it would certainly be suitable for inclusion on the remastered Garden. Otherwise I guess it'll be consigned to the vaults forever...

#28269 06/16/08 12:47 PM
Was its alternate name Kilometers Away?

#28270 06/16/08 01:02 PM
Nisei Offline OP
OP Offline
LOL, yeah it's the Metametric version smile
Am I allowed to post 10 seconds of the track so everyone can hear the difference or will Robin hang me from the highest tree for copyright infringement if I do?

#28271 06/16/08 01:18 PM
I don't think Rob has hung anybody yet, but there's always a first time! laugh

I'd consider the wellbeing of your neck, if I were you!

#28272 06/16/08 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Atom Man:
Was its alternate name Kilometers Away?
LOL!!

I guess "A few feet away" didn't quite work either.

Just think, John could have made a few bob by reworking the lyrics and selling it to haemorrhoid cream manufacturers for use in adverts.

..."Piles Awaaaay..."

Sorry. I'll get me coat......

#28273 06/16/08 02:08 PM
The Archive
The Archive
Quote:
Originally posted by John Barker:
LOL, yeah it's the Metametric version smile
Am I allowed to post 10 seconds of the track so everyone can hear the difference or will Robin hang me from the highest tree for copyright infringement if I do?
Miles Away was never going to be included on the recently re-released edition of Metamatic as it was felt that there were already enough extra tracks. Instead it's been ear-marked to appear as an extra track on the forthcoming expanded edition of The Garden.

There are two key versions of Miles Away - the single version and the re-mix which appeared on the Japanese Burning Car mini-album. All things being equal we're looking to formally release BOTH versions. As for the version (which is only VERY slightly different) which appeared on the Virgin Vaults video - we also have plans for that as well. wink

Quote:
Originally posted by John Barker:
Is it possible to find out the story behind this track? I surely would like to see it remastered on CD since I like it better than the single release.
But perhaps the Metamatic 2003 Japan release has this version on it?
It's just a re-mix - in the same way that there are a couple of versions of A New Kind of Man and No-One Driving. The 2003 Japanese version of Metamatic is identical (as far as the music is concerned) to the 2001 UK edition .

So, not wanting to be a complete killjoy, I would REALLY appreciate it if no samples of this track (ten seconds or otherwise) were posted.

Thank-you. wink

Rob

#28274 06/16/08 03:33 PM
Nisei Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for all the info Rob. That certainly explains everything.
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Harris:
So, not wanting to be a complete killjoy, I would REALLY appreciate it if no samples of this track (ten seconds or otherwise) were posted.
Sure, now that you've explained all the details there's no need for that anymore. And I would never have done it without asking anyway smile

But do you perhaps know why the remix was made when it wasn't supposed to be released here anyway? I can't imagine they did it just for the Burning Car EP?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.