Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#28275 06/16/08 06:15 PM
The Archive
The Archive
Quote:
Originally posted by John Barker:
But do you perhaps know why the remix was made when it wasn't supposed to be released here anyway? I can't imagine they did it just for the Burning Car EP?
I agree - it's unlikely to have been 're-recorded' / 're-mixed' specifically for the Burning Car mini-album. I reckon that the 'alternative' version already existed and John was happy for this different mix to also get a release.

Rob

#28276 06/17/08 10:42 AM
I have the alternate version of Miles Away (from the 'Some of Them' cd). It was given to me years ago. Yes, there are very subtle differences to it from the original single version. I actually do prefer the alternate version too.

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Harris:
There are two key versions of Miles Away - the single version and the re-mix which appeared on the Japanese Burning Car mini-album. All things being equal we're looking to formally release BOTH versions. As for the version (which is only VERY slightly different) which appeared on the Virgin Vaults video - we also have plans for that as well. wink
Thanks Rob. smile Miles Away is my favourite John Foxx song, so I'm happy to have as many versions of it as possible ...

#28277 06/17/08 11:43 AM
Nisei Offline OP
OP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Astara:
I have the alternate version of [b]Miles Away (from the 'Some of Them' cd). It was given to me years ago. Yes, there are very subtle differences to it from the original single version. I actually do prefer the alternate version too.[/b]
Huh? You have the actual CD (with artwork & label)? I made that CD for private use over 10 years ago (when an empty CDR disc still set you back £3). I digitised all vinyl tracks which hadn't been released onto CD back then.
Anyway, I think the difference isn't really subtle. I actually owned the Burning Car EP before I had the 7" and was surprised at how the 7" version lacked "oomph".

#28278 06/17/08 12:29 PM
Hi John smile - I don't have the actual cd with artwork, etc. But a guy gave me a cd of various songs & that version of Miles Away was one of them.

When I listen to the alternative version, it appears to have an extra layer of John's vocals which I like very much. But overall, I love both versions of Miles Away, love John's vocal style in the song & I think the synths sound superb.

#28279 06/17/08 09:53 PM
L
L
Many years ago I was lucky enough to win an EV competition. The prize? A 1-sided acetate of Miles Away signed by John! I've played it once and it's the same version as appears on the Burning Car Jap 12". I don't do this often but I'll have to disagree with Rob calling this a "remix" (sorry mate)as it has slightly different lyrics... see this thread http://www.metamatic.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000115#000000

#28280 06/18/08 01:36 AM
R
R
John: Would you mind providing a tracklisting for your Some Of Them compilation, if you still have a copy or a reference to it? I'm just curious ...

Cheers ...

#28281 06/18/08 08:03 AM
Nisei Offline OP
OP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by lieutenant030:
I don't do this often but I'll have to disagree with Rob calling this a "remix" (sorry mate)as it has slightly different lyrics... see this thread http://www.metamatic.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000115#000000
I have to agree with you that the EP version sounds like a different recording, not a remix. It's definitely slower than the other versions and remember that back in those days it wasn't simple to alter the tempo of a recording while keeping the same pitch.

#28282 06/18/08 08:11 AM
The Archive
The Archive
Quote:
Originally posted by lieutenant030:
I don't do this often but I'll have to disagree with Rob calling this a "remix" (sorry mate)as it has slightly different lyrics... see this thread http://www.metamatic.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000115#000000
You're quite right - I'd forgotten about the change in the lyrics. So I suppose that this puts it in the same 'category' as the single version of No-One Driving which was classed as being re-recorded.

Rob

#28283 06/18/08 02:46 PM
Nisei Offline OP
OP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Rodney:
[b]John: Would you mind providing a tracklisting for your Some Of Them compilation, if you still have a copy or a reference to it? I'm just curious ...[/b]
Sure Rodney. Here it is, together with the packaging.

Cover Inside Booklet Back

01 - Tiger Lily - Ain't Misbehavin'
02 - Tiger Lily - Monkey Jive
03 - Ultravox - Slip Away (Live At The Rainbow)
04 - Ultravox - Hiroshima Mon Amour (B-Side Version)
05 - Ultravox - Quirks
06 - Ultravox - Modern Love
07 - Ultravox - The Wild, The Beautiful And The Damned (Retro Live EP)
08 - Ultravox - My Sex (Retro Live EP)
09 - Ultravox - Young Savage (Retro Live EP)
10 - Ultravox - The Man Who Dies Every Day (Retro Live EP)
11 - Ultravox - Quiet Men (12'' Mix)
12 - John Foxx - No-One Driving (7'' Mix)
13 - John Foxx - Glimmer
14 - John Foxx - Mr. No
15 - John Foxx - My Face
16 - John Foxx - Miles Away (Different Version)
17 - John Foxx - Swimmer I
18 - John Foxx - Endlessly (Early 7'' Version)

#28284 06/21/08 11:47 PM
R
R
Thanks very much for that, John. I presume you created the artwork yourself? Can I ask what software you used, although this was 12 years ago? What sort of paper do you print on?

Cheers ...

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.