Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#28125 05/30/08 01:19 PM
OP Offline
The thread about Young Man made me wonder what everyone else thinks about this song.

I have the 1993 reissue of The Garden and its on there as track 14 (also on the reissued Golden Section as track 12).

It fits right in with that period of his work but there's something very uplifting about it. Great sings and guitar.

Also did a Google search and it returns 3,340 hits!

#28126 05/30/08 01:41 PM
I don't mind it - it's a tad cheesey, but upbeat and uplifting. Very good lyrics.

In fact, this has inspired me to play The Golden Section...

#28127 05/30/08 01:55 PM
One of my all time favourite Foxx tracks. Period.

Everytime I play it, I feel compelled to also play A Kind of Wave as well.

#28128 05/30/08 02:02 PM
Administrator
Administrator
A Kind of Wave is one of my Favourites. Especially love the extend version.

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#28129 05/30/08 02:20 PM
B
B
I think it's an excellent song. When I finally got my hands on the Golden Section, I simply fell for all the extra songs. The hidden sleeper is A Woman on the Stairway. It's a highlight for me. The lyrics are really well done.

Blue

#28130 05/30/08 02:26 PM
Wings On A Wind and Annexe are two of my favourites among the Golden Section's bonus tracks/b-sides, whatever you want to call them!

Dance With me and Woman On A Stairway go together well. John sounds so openly emotional and vulnerable. Though there's a slight hint of desperation in there too. Very intense vocals.

#28131 05/30/08 05:38 PM
I love these extra tracks too! I had already heard Wings and a Wind and The Lifting Sky from the 12" and 7" vinyl B sides, but all the rest were like hidden treasure!

#28132 05/30/08 05:43 PM
M
M
I like The Lifting Sky just as much as I like Young Man. It reminds me more of 'Your Dress' than 'A Kind Of Wave'.

I've mentioned Annexe, but I like 99% of the b-sides/extra tracks that have been released, apart from Stairway, which I think was the b-side of Enter The Angel.

#28133 05/30/08 06:40 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Here's a list of the whole batch of songs that fit this category:

Film One
This City
Mr. No
Glimmer
20th Century
A Long Time
This Jungle
Swimmer I
Swimmer II
Young Man
A Kind of Wave
Dance With Me
A Woman On A Stairway
The Lifting Sky
Annexe
Wings and a Wind
City of Light
Lumen de Lumine
Stairway
Underwater Dreamsex
Making Movies
Your Shadow
Running in Traffic

I expect I've missed at least one.

These are a fascinating couple of threads, thanks HM for opening the discussion of these 'secondary' tracks.

Just playing the whole lot through now (again, again...) and it's quite an incredible body of work.
For 'extra tracks', I would imagine most of us have a couple of all-time favourite Foxx songs in this list??

Yes The Lifting Sky and yes A Kind of Wave, but what about the very, very wonderful song that is A Woman on a Stairway or City of Light.
Actually, this is another one that has that 'fa fa fa, faa, fa, fa...oooh ooh ooh' thing going on which just seems to work.

How many of John's 'best loved' songs are not among his primary output?

For instance, as many people know - and some have the audacity to disagree with eek - Underwater Dreamsex is a contender for my all time favourite Foxx tune.

Great thread. More please...

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#28134 05/30/08 07:14 PM
"This City" is one of my very favourite Foxx tracks - the best song that was never on Metamatic... that is on Metamatic!

"Running In Traffic" comes a close second wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.