Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#27299 01/30/08 11:06 AM
OP Offline
Mooching around Google, I found this little snippet on the Foxx/Guthrie collaboration over on a Cocteau Twins Forum.

It's 2 years old, but I'd not seen it before and I'm pretty sure it's not been mentioned on here;

"According to Vox magazine, our Robin is close to finishing a collaboration with former Ultravox singer John Foxx. Tracks on the "intense and moody but spacey and pastoral too" album include Mirrorball, My Life As An Echo, Empire Skyline and Estrellita."

http://www.cocteautwinsforums.com/showthread.php5?t=13169

#27300 01/30/08 02:02 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Fascinating news Garry, thanks.

It has been a long project this, and i too have no idea why it has taken so long to get this out. No doubt there are many good reasons, but its quite frustrating.

In June 2006 I went to see Guthrie perform Lumiere live in Oxford and spoke to him after the show. Both he and the guy on merchandising were optimistic that the album would be released 'next Easter' (ie April 2007) and implied that it was all but finished then. A year ago?

I actually think we are the victims here of information that we don't need, and that's what makes it worse. Let's just go back to having an announcement when an album is ACTUALLY PRESSED and in in the shops NEXT WEEK.
It's far too easy these days to get hold of (and even expect...) information that is purely speculative. We demand answers simply by asking unreasonable questions, and that just compounds the problem.

I think it's not John's fault, Guthrie's fault or anyone's fault that this project is not complete. It just isn't, and if we didn't know that it wouldn't matter.

Does that make sense? eek

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#27301 01/30/08 02:51 PM
OP Offline
Total sense - you’re not wrong Martin! I don’t think my curiosity and the internet helps either! wink

The dull realistic probability of it all however is; release schedules and promotion/marketing etc. I suspect the reason we haven’t heard the Jansen/Foxx collaboration is because Jansen recently released his first solo album and toured tracks from it on his brother’s recent tour – it would just cause confusion and not give either album a fighting chance in the marketplace if one was released so soon after the other.

Regarding the Guthrie/Foxx collaboration, I reckon it’s probably complete, but we know John’s been a busy bee and Guthrie has a stack of production & performance commitments – which is what’s probably why things are moving slowly – perhaps they’re both holding off until they can give it the due diligence in promoting it that it deserves.

That doesn’t stop me getting impatient though! laugh

#27302 01/30/08 05:01 PM
Administrator
Administrator
No - nor me :p

I have a whole load of concerns regarding the issue of too much material in too short a space of time.
But that's another can of worms that I am not going to open here...

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.