Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Ah! Oh yes.

Time to investigate further....

S
Straker Offline OP
OP Offline
S
First name Marcel. Seems to have had an exhibition in New York in 1991 for which a catalogue exists. This appears to be the only English language publication about him. A French book was also published in the sixties but, as far as I can tell, is less well illustrated than the exhibition catalogue.

Is it just me or does this painting by Max Ernst, Forest and Dove 1927, look really familiar?

cool

C
C
laugh

great stuff, and to think its only taken since 1981 for me to see the inspiration for 'that' album cover!

Quote:
Originally posted by core memory:
laugh

great stuff, and to think its only taken since 1981 for me to see the inspiration for 'that' album cover!
Heh! Yeah me too!

It's on display at the Tate Modern, they've got a semi-permanent collection now of Surrealist/DADA/Futurist art called 'Poetry and Dreams' and it's there.

I am not knowledgeable at all when it comes to art but I like this Ernst piece very much:
Silence
I seem to see faces in the picture but when I look directly at them they are gone. Very interesting.

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy Kalish:
I am not knowledgeable at all when it comes to art but I like this Ernst piece very much:
Silence
I seem to see faces in the picture but when I look directly at them they are gone. Very interesting.
Hi Andy,

Ernst’s The Eye of Silence had an impact on Ballard too. A detail of it is used for his early novel The Crystal World

There are many references to the painting in The Atrocity Exhibition (expanded and annotated edition);

“Max Ernst’s paintings run through The Atrocity Exhibition , in particular The Eye of Silence and Europe After The Rain. Their clinker-like rocks resemble skeletons from which all organic matter has been leached, all sense of time. Looking at these landscapes, it’s impossible to imagine anything ever happening within them. The neural counterparts of these images must exist within our brains, though it’s difficult to guess what purpose they serve.”

Thank you very much, Garry! More items for the reading list. If only there was more time! smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.