Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Gaah!

That is a technician's nightmare!!

A
Adam Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Quote:
Originally posted by feline1:
Re: the question of what John & Louis are playing live...

At the Brighton gig, I was virtually standing "in the wings" so I could see John's fingers on his MIDI controller keyboard.
It was rather confusing: he definately did appear to be playing some parts in some songs (e.g. in FILM ONE, he seemed to be quite straightforwardly playing the high stringy reverbby synth sound)...
however when he was actually singing, he seemed to be more just using the keyboard as a prop, and busking away on it in time to the music...
For example, when the set reached UNDERPASS, he looked like he was playing the synthreggae bass line, but then when the vocals started, he was more just prodding the keyboard in time to the music...
We wondering if they had an elaborate MIDI thing going on whereby the backing was running on a computer (ie software-based) multitrack, and the destination for John's MIDI notes was dynamically switched in and out to the correct sounds and/or to nothing at appropriate parts of the song ...
then again, perhaps he was sometimes controlling the vocal harmony stuff from his Digitech Vocalist gadget when singing... John also reached over to select some stuff at times on a module to his left.

Louis seemed to be mostly playing lead lines and riffs.
Yes, I noticed a similar thing with John's playing. In all honesty, I have no idea which elements of tracks he was playing or triggering or whatever. Thanks for that fascinating reply, though.

To, perhaps, move nearer to answering the question, what equipment did Joh have on stage and what was that box of tricks to his side?

I was also interested in how Louis twisted the synth sound during 21st Century - very exciting to hear. How was that created?

C
C
The one's that's clearly visible is the ultimate midi synth, the Roland PC 200. Then he has that one that lies on top of the rack. Could this one be the Oddity or the IMPOScar? Yes he has several boxes below, presumably for pre-recorded stuff ie samples etc.

Louis has his Yamahas (DXs?)and boxes too!

Chris wink

F
F
John has a two-tier stand.
On the bottom tier is just a little cheap ordinary plastic MIDI Roland PC200 controller keyboard (i.e. it has no sounds of its own, it just sends MIDI messages to whatever else John has connected it to).

I don't think there's anything on the top tier about from an empty rack-case lid with the lyrics tape into it!! smile
The rack the lid came from is on John's right - presumably it has the Digitech Vocalist in it and some other sound module, perhaps? Dunno!

D
D
Quote:
Originally posted by Will:
As I've mentioned before,Louis DID do a mix of "Dominion Day", but Numan(or as I gather,Gemma) didn't like it frown
Hands up if you'd love to hear it *ping*!!!

*ping*

And I did badger Louis about this recently,never know,might appear someday on his MySpace,we can only hope

A
Adam Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Interesting stuff. Thanks for that...

*ping*

Never heard about this before. It must have been part of the Hybrid project...?

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.