Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
H
OP Offline
H
Around Christmas time I was in my local pub and this tremendous song came over the speakers; as I had my mp3 player with me, I used the built in microphone to record a brief snatch (albeit very poor quality), thinking I'd be able to google some of the lyrics and find it that way.

Unfortunately I haven't found it so what I'm after now is some site where you can upload a brief snatch of a song and other users can listen and maybe tell you what the song is and who it's by.

Before I do though, all I can tell you about the song is that the most prominent lyric is the singer going on about "your melody" and the backing is a very moody, soulful kind of trip hop with sweeping swings and a key change in the chorus. I thought the vocalist sounded very much like Antony Hegarty of Antony and the Johnsons but I can't find any tracks of theirs that matches

Any ideas?

C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by Herbert the turbot:
maybe tell you what the song is and who it's by
Sorry, can't help, but that would be good to know about. Many years I recall there being an audio library in England that offered such a service, all you had to do was phone and hum it down the line! these days though - as Mr Foxx put it himself in the title of his recent guest (secret) student lecture - the liquid man in charge of the country and his 'mini-me' - would no doubt put a stop to that public service nonsense forthwith laugh

Herbert, if I'm wide off the mark then please don't think I'm taking the pee here, I hesitate to say, but is it this very catchy song? - A staple classic of the teenagers on my bus journey's with mp3/phone, and I'm sure the exuberant cast of TV's Glee also did a cover of it in one episode (or perhaps I dreamed that whilst trying to block out the nightmare of having seen it, the exuberance that is!) -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBwaKtSSJSo

This is much more like Glee, and the singer sounds a tad more Antony Hegarty in his vocals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcCEYB_oH-k&feature=related

I know a guy who downloaded an app to his iPhone that can recognise songs by hearing them. Apparently you can even hum or whistle part of a song and if it recognises it, it will give the title etc. and links to where you can download it. Not sure if it's available for anything other than iPhone but if you like I can ask him what it's called so you can look it up. He said he was driving along one day and heard a song on the radio that he liked so he held the phone up to the speaker and it came back with artists / title etc. in no time. Me, I don't have, nor will I ever have, an iPhone but it would be cool if that app was available on PC.

ΤΏΤ

C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by Stringy Bob:
an app to his iPhone that can recognise songs by hearing them
ΤΏΤ
Bob, Herbert, its called Shazam. One of my relatives was showing it off whilst I had to endure several endless hours of his musical tastes round at the family get-together on xmas day, and it does seem to work!

S
S
Quote:
Originally posted by core memory:
Quote:
Originally posted by Stringy Bob:
[b]an app to his iPhone that can recognise songs by hearing them
ΤΏΤ
Bob, Herbert, its called Shazam. One of my relatives was showing it off whilst I had to endure several endless hours of his musical tastes round at the family get-together on xmas day, and it does seem to work! [/b]
It does work but only on original released recordings.

H
OP Offline
H
Finally several months later I've managed to upload a clip of the song I'm trying to identify. Any ideas what it is and who it's by?

http://soundcloud.com/thats-never-a-real-horse/mystery-song-can-you-identify

C
C
Hi Herbert, I gave it a good listen dozens of times when you first posted the link, I'm still no wiser, pity there's not more of the lyric, just what is she singing: "since you sold your soul?", I tried googling word versions.

What struck me straight off though was the music, I really like it, very Blue States (I've a few of their albums), those cinematic orchestrated strings and the melancholy quality sweeping under the womans voice, its quite late 1990s to early 2000's. Visiting Last.fm online and taking Blue States as a start point I went through a suggested list of 'who else sounds like', using itunes to randomly dip into groups such as Aim, Kinobe, Fragile State, Kid Loco until eventually going off on wider tangents, no luck, but an enjoyable exercise as its got me enthusiastically wanting to rediscover this year the downtempo lounge and chill music of a previous decade.

H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted By: core memory
Hi Herbert, I gave it a good listen dozens of times when you first posted the link, I'm still no wiser, pity there's not more of the lyric, just what is she singing: "since you sold your soul?", I tried googling word versions.

What struck me straight off though was the music, I really like it, very Blue States (I've a few of their albums), those cinematic orchestrated strings and the melancholy quality sweeping under the womans voice, its quite late 1990s to early 2000's. Visiting Last.fm online and taking Blue States as a start point I went through a suggested list of 'who else sounds like', using itunes to randomly dip into groups such as Aim, Kinobe, Fragile State, Kid Loco until eventually going off on wider tangents, no luck, but an enjoyable exercise as its got me enthusiastically wanting to rediscover this year the downtempo lounge and chill music of a previous decade.

Thanks for your help! The good news is, thanks to a chap on the Popjustice forum with one of those mobile phone apps that can tell you what a song is (Shazam, I think), I have at last discovered what song it is.

It's "All For Melody" by a band called Ilya, and can be heard in full on the link below.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LSiP0maFbA

You're not far wrong with your guesswork. According to Wikipedia, Ilya are indeed a "post-2000 downtempo act, whilst also being considered as continuing the trip-hop tradition, originated in Bristol in the 1990s"

C
C
Originally Posted By: Herbert the turbot
I have at last discovered what song it is... It's "All For Melody" by a band called Ilya, and can be heard in full on the link below.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LSiP0maFbA
According to Wikipedia, Ilya are indeed a "post-2000 downtempo act, whilst also being considered as continuing the trip-hop tradition, originated in Bristol in the 1990s"

Hi Herbert, there I was on Wednesday 25th April sat in the Dome in Edinburgh - a former bank building turned into a bar and restaurant, and a place I've only ever visited once in a blue moon - I was in for just a coffee and blimey what was that familiar sound playing away in the background, only Ilya with Soleil Soleil, and then the very next day you make a return to the forum and do some posting.

I did listen online to Ilya's album back in January when you finally found their name, and the cover image was curiously familiar. Some songs aren't quite my cuppa, but I really love Bliss:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTw-gndzqII

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.