Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#21990 03/21/11 02:33 PM
Alex S Offline OP
OP Offline
It's a Human League album – that’s the safest way to describe Credo on first inspection. Phil Oakey's distinctive and seemingly ageless voice sounds as strong as it ever has, with the best baritone in pop crooning alongside Susanne and Joanne on an array of fun and upbeat songs. Lyrically the songs on Credo don't take themselves too seriously (you'll hear 'trousers' and 'cheeses' in 'Night People' for example), often sounding rather robotic thanks to the clean, crisp production.

There's no denying a heavy 1980s feel to the sound of Credo – which is perhaps what folk might expect out of a new Human League album, as opposed to something more contemporary like tried with Secrets. Opening track "Never Let Me Go" is guaranteed to get your foot tapping, and it'll continue tapping for the duration, maybe with the exception of "Single Minded". Credo is perhaps more reminiscent of 1995's Octopus than Secrets, and at it's best, "Sky", "Electric Shock", "Never Let Me Go", "Get Together" and "Breaking the Chains" are the tracks that really stand out.

Credo may not quite be classic League, but it's a good pop album, and it's just nice to have new material after such a long time.

#21991 03/21/11 04:07 PM
Alex S Offline OP
OP Offline
"Sky" is probably my favourite on the album, followed by "Get Together" and "Never Let Me Go".

#21992 03/21/11 07:56 PM
Takes a few listens before it grabs you.

I like "Never Let Me Go", "Sky", Into The Night", "Electric Shock", "Breaking The Chains". "Privilege" is awful so out of place on the album!

#21993 03/22/11 09:14 AM
Alex S Offline OP
OP Offline
It's definitely a grower!

#21994 03/22/11 09:55 AM
Some technical and background stuff here .

#21995 03/22/11 10:06 AM
Alex S Offline OP
OP Offline
Interesting. Although all that white text on a black background has sent my eyes funny!

#21996 03/22/11 07:48 PM
T
T
Have only heard "Night People" so far, and just the once, but I was a bit surprised to be really impressed!

#21997 03/23/11 08:06 AM
Listened to it properly a couple of times now.
"Never Let Me Go" is an excellent track and deserves to be a hit à la "Tell Me When".
"Night People" sounds a lot less daft in the context of the album, which is all a bit daft in a Human League-y kind of way.
"Sky" also stands out, a kind of "Louise" type narrative although you get the feeling it takes place in outer space rather than in a Sheffield bus station.
I like "Privilege" as it breaks up the kind of "doof-doof-doof" constant dance music which tires me out a bit .. there's little respite from the disco-dancing (no "Reflections" or "Words" here).

What's amazing is Oakey's voice which is still as loud n clear as ever. You can imagine him singing these songs with his lop-sided fringe in front of bemused students in the late 70s or even tarted up to the nines on TOTP in the 80s. Excellent.
laugh

#21998 03/23/11 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MemberD:
..."Sky" also stands out, a kind of "Louise" type narrative although you get the feeling it takes place in outer space rather than in a Sheffield bus station...
heh! smile

I'm really enjoying Credo. It just shows you what an opinion you shouldn't get from listening to 30 second samples of it! I wasn't to optimistic after hearing the samples, but now I've heard the album properly, I'm really enjoying it! It's definitely a grower though - it hasn't got the immediate response from me that, say - Interplay got.

#21999 03/23/11 10:20 AM
Alex S Offline OP
OP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by MemberD:
"Sky" also stands out, a kind of "Louise" type narrative although you get the feeling it takes place in outer space rather than in a Sheffield bus station.
LOLOL!! Sums it up perfectly. So that's why I always hated 'Louise'!!

Phil's vocals are outstandingly good though - like you say they just haven't aged. Always a pleasure on the ears.

I was a little underwhelmed on the first listen, but the album is a real grower. You wake up with the songs stuck in your head - always a good sign of a strong, catchy album.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.