Metamatic
Posted By: Alex S The Human League - Credo - 02/18/11 04:27 PM
Might as well start a topic just for the much-anticipated Credo. It's now available to pre-order on iTunes.

...which means you can preview each of the tracks.
"Night People" and "Never Let Me Go" arrived to mixed reviews – both initially disappointing, but both seem to be growers.

So I like the idea of being able to preview the tracks prior to buying. First impressions from the brief snippets, "Sky" sounds superb; classic HL. "Electric Shock" is another one which sounds instantly catchy. "Breaking the Chain" sounds like something from Secrets, which is no bad thing by my book.

Parts of it sound like a kid's Yamaha keyboard demo... "Single Minded" and "Get Together" don't sound particularly impressive, but then again this is just going by 30 second previews.

So from a sneak peak, it sounds like a decent album, though maybe not a brilliant album. After 10 years there's a lot of expectation, and part of me doubts that it'll live up to it. I thought Secrets was an excellent album, and it's a great shame that the collapse of Papillon Records took the League with it. They really suffered for that.

In the very least it's good to finally have some new material. Certainly looking forward to hearing Credo in full and forming a proper opinion.
Posted By: MemberD Re: The Human League - Credo - 03/02/11 09:19 AM
Nice Radio 2 interviewand preview of new single Never Let Me Go (no relation) and Sky off the new album, due 21st March..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1tr8AlIDSw

(..still luv those accents)
wink
Posted By: Gary Hunter Re: The Human League - Credo - 03/13/11 07:40 PM
They have been streaming the enite album "Credo" on their Facebook page and it is pretty good, quite sparse musically but decent enough album, miles better than "Secrets" which i hated (I know a lot of people liked it but for me far too many distorted vocal tracks).

The only track I thought was crap was "Privilege" other than that enjoyed what i heard.
Posted By: MemberD Re: The Human League - Credo - 03/15/11 02:14 PM
Video for new single "Never Let Me Go" .. a bit creepy in a Doctor Who-y sort of way.
warning: features a squid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjtzJZ0f6Ac

..perhaps more Radio 2 friendly than Night People?
Posted By: RadioBeach Re: The Human League - Credo - 03/15/11 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MemberD:
Video for new single "Never Let Me Go" .. a bit creepy in a Doctor Who-y sort of way.
warning: features a squid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjtzJZ0f6Ac

..perhaps more Radio 2 friendly than Night People?
I like it! Glad to see Susan still can't lip-sync - some things should never change! laugh
Posted By: John Taylor Re: The Human League - Credo - 03/20/11 06:28 PM
Will they list the kit used on this like they did on Dare, I wonder if Auto Tune will be on said list!
Posted By: Lody Herst Re: The Human League - Credo - 03/21/11 07:34 AM
I get the feeling that there's too much anticipation goin' on for this album.
A bit like the OMD one (I rarely give that one a spin).
Let's hope I'm wrong though, would be great to add a new and proper HL album to my collection!
Posted By: MemberD Re: The Human League - Credo - 03/21/11 09:31 AM
It will no doubt be overshadowed by Interplay, which is excellent.
I'm gonna see if I can buy it in a proper "record shop" today. Otherwise will go for i-tunes.
Posted By: Alex S Re: The Human League - Credo - 03/21/11 09:50 AM
I might buy Credo today - feels a bit like supporting the home team! Although from what I've heard, it's not their best work or worth the 10 year wait. Maybe I'll be proven wrong.

But yes, what Mark said - overshadowed by Interplay. Definitely!
Posted By: MemberD Re: The Human League - Credo - 03/21/11 09:56 AM
As it is now officially out today I'm taking to the time to listen to the previews on amazon.
Posted By: Alex S Re: The Human League - Credo - 03/21/11 02:33 PM
It's a Human League album – that’s the safest way to describe Credo on first inspection. Phil Oakey's distinctive and seemingly ageless voice sounds as strong as it ever has, with the best baritone in pop crooning alongside Susanne and Joanne on an array of fun and upbeat songs. Lyrically the songs on Credo don't take themselves too seriously (you'll hear 'trousers' and 'cheeses' in 'Night People' for example), often sounding rather robotic thanks to the clean, crisp production.

There's no denying a heavy 1980s feel to the sound of Credo – which is perhaps what folk might expect out of a new Human League album, as opposed to something more contemporary like tried with Secrets. Opening track "Never Let Me Go" is guaranteed to get your foot tapping, and it'll continue tapping for the duration, maybe with the exception of "Single Minded". Credo is perhaps more reminiscent of 1995's Octopus than Secrets, and at it's best, "Sky", "Electric Shock", "Never Let Me Go", "Get Together" and "Breaking the Chains" are the tracks that really stand out.

Credo may not quite be classic League, but it's a good pop album, and it's just nice to have new material after such a long time.
Posted By: Alex S Re: The Human League - Credo - 03/21/11 04:07 PM
"Sky" is probably my favourite on the album, followed by "Get Together" and "Never Let Me Go".
Posted By: Gary Hunter Re: The Human League - Credo - 03/21/11 07:56 PM
Takes a few listens before it grabs you.

I like "Never Let Me Go", "Sky", Into The Night", "Electric Shock", "Breaking The Chains". "Privilege" is awful so out of place on the album!
Posted By: Alex S Re: The Human League - Credo - 03/22/11 09:14 AM
It's definitely a grower!
Posted By: MemberD Re: The Human League - Credo - 03/22/11 09:55 AM
Some technical and background stuff here .
Posted By: Alex S Re: The Human League - Credo - 03/22/11 10:06 AM
Interesting. Although all that white text on a black background has sent my eyes funny!
Posted By: the church puddle Re: The Human League - Credo - 03/22/11 07:48 PM
Have only heard "Night People" so far, and just the once, but I was a bit surprised to be really impressed!
Posted By: MemberD Re: The Human League - Credo - 03/23/11 08:06 AM
Listened to it properly a couple of times now.
"Never Let Me Go" is an excellent track and deserves to be a hit à la "Tell Me When".
"Night People" sounds a lot less daft in the context of the album, which is all a bit daft in a Human League-y kind of way.
"Sky" also stands out, a kind of "Louise" type narrative although you get the feeling it takes place in outer space rather than in a Sheffield bus station.
I like "Privilege" as it breaks up the kind of "doof-doof-doof" constant dance music which tires me out a bit .. there's little respite from the disco-dancing (no "Reflections" or "Words" here).

What's amazing is Oakey's voice which is still as loud n clear as ever. You can imagine him singing these songs with his lop-sided fringe in front of bemused students in the late 70s or even tarted up to the nines on TOTP in the 80s. Excellent.
laugh
Posted By: RadioBeach Re: The Human League - Credo - 03/23/11 09:33 AM
Quote:
..."Sky" also stands out, a kind of "Louise" type narrative although you get the feeling it takes place in outer space rather than in a Sheffield bus station...
heh! smile

I'm really enjoying Credo. It just shows you what an opinion you shouldn't get from listening to 30 second samples of it! I wasn't to optimistic after hearing the samples, but now I've heard the album properly, I'm really enjoying it! It's definitely a grower though - it hasn't got the immediate response from me that, say - Interplay got.
Posted By: Alex S Re: The Human League - Credo - 03/23/11 10:20 AM
Quote:
"Sky" also stands out, a kind of "Louise" type narrative although you get the feeling it takes place in outer space rather than in a Sheffield bus station.
LOLOL!! Sums it up perfectly. So that's why I always hated 'Louise'!!

Phil's vocals are outstandingly good though - like you say they just haven't aged. Always a pleasure on the ears.

I was a little underwhelmed on the first listen, but the album is a real grower. You wake up with the songs stuck in your head - always a good sign of a strong, catchy album.
Posted By: MemberD Re: The Human League - Credo - 03/24/11 03:38 PM
Don't quote me on this but...this is Phil talking..
Quote:

"I've been in contact with Martyn Ware recently but it wouldn't be a Human League collaboration because he can't be part of the Human League again," Oakey tells Spinner. "We could try to work together again and see if we're of the same mind. I might be interested to kick some ideas around with Martyn and see what's happening."
source
Posted By: Alex S Re: The Human League - Credo - 03/24/11 03:48 PM
Now wouldn't that be just ace!

Whatever happened to the other bloke with the blonde hair?
Posted By: RadioBeach Re: The Human League - Credo - 03/24/11 11:37 PM
Oh I hope so.

But if it's a new group, and rightly so - they should go back to their (asymmetrical) roots and call themselves;

Starforce: Alpha Centauri cool

or

The Pansentient League laugh
Posted By: MemberD Re: The Human League - Credo - 03/25/11 08:04 AM
anyway Foxxy's not the only one on Radio 2 these days

The Human League-interviewed by Simon Mayo on Radio 2-march 23rd 2011

that version of Never Let me Go sounds like a remix wot I've never heard before .. mmmmmm
:rolleyes:

plus: raises an interesting question about if it's possible to "look cool" behind a keyboard...
:rolleyes:
Posted By: MikeG Re: The Human League - Credo - 03/25/11 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S
Good question .....

Ian Craig Marsh
Posted By: Alex S Re: The Human League - Credo - 03/25/11 02:34 PM
No, I was thinking of Philip Adrian Wright
Posted By: RadioBeach Re: The Human League - Credo - 03/25/11 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeG:
[QB] [QUOTE] Originally posted by Alex S
Good question .....

Nice find Mike!

That's really interesting! Because the researcher/ project manager at Brighton is Stephen Mallinder of Cabaret Voltaire!

I bet the office Xmas parties are brilliant! wink
Posted By: MikeG Re: The Human League - Credo - 03/25/11 07:26 PM
My smart looking digi-pack copy of Credo dropped through the door from Amazon on Wednesday, but I've only just got around to listening to it.

A really stompin' good pop album - classic Human League. Maybe sounding a bit more old fashioned than Secrets - dare I say it could have come out of the eighties. I love the new single Never Let Me Go, and this was the first time I have heard Electic Shock since I saw HL perform it live on the recent tour. The studio version sounds superb.

Fingers crossed Credo can chart this week - I think they deserve a bit of success from this album.
Posted By: Your Shadow Re: The Human League - Credo - 03/25/11 08:49 PM
I've just listened to Credo for the first time. Some excellent tracks. Night People has definately grown on me and there are a few other potential singles.

It's just a pity that we've had to wait so long for new material. Hope the album sells well enough to give them the encouragement to record new material so we don't have to wait another ten years!!
Posted By: John Taylor Re: The Human League - Credo - 03/26/11 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
It's definitely a grower!
Very true,have just seen there is also a live album on iTunes pre-orders.
Posted By: MikeG Re: The Human League - Credo - 03/27/11 06:17 PM
44 in the UK album charts this week. Some success at least.
Posted By: MemberD Re: The Human League - Credo - 03/28/11 07:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeG:
44 in the UK album charts this week. Some success at least.
Is that the definite placing? I beleive it was as high as 22 mid-week (BBC charts).
Posted By: Alex S Re: The Human League - Credo - 03/28/11 08:49 AM
UK Album Charts

It does seem to be the case, which is a great shame - I was hoping to see it in the top 20 at least. It deserves it.
Posted By: MikeG Re: The Human League - Credo - 03/28/11 11:07 AM
I suspect it will disappear out of the top 100 altogether next week - if so it will have performed identically to Secrets (which spent I week in the UK album charts at position 44).

If Never Let Me Go could make an impression on the singles chart things may be different.
Posted By: Alex S Re: The Human League - Credo - 04/04/11 09:50 AM
I think "Get Together", "Sky" or "Electricity" would make really good singles.

In Germany, I believe the second single has been "Egomaniac" rather than "Never Let Me Go".
Posted By: MemberD Re: The Human League - Credo - 04/04/11 03:04 PM
It might be the "Interplay" effect but I just can't get my head around Credo ...
darn ...wish they'd issued it a few months earlier.
frown
Posted By: Alex S Re: The Human League - Credo - 04/04/11 03:11 PM
Hmm. I'm surprised at that, MD. First impressions weren't so good, but over the following days, I probably listened to Credo MORE than Interplay. Addictive. Though there are still at least 3 songs I skip almost every time.

I do think though that two good albums out at the same time is always cause for a bit of musical confusion.
Posted By: Gary Hunter Re: The Human League - Credo - 04/04/11 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
Hmm. I'm surprised at that, MD. First impressions weren't so good, but over the following days, I probably listened to Credo MORE than Interplay. Addictive. Though there are still at least 3 songs I skip almost every time.

I do think though that two good albums out at the same time is always cause for a bit of musical confusion.
Agree with you Alex, "Credo" on first listen sounded very bland but the more I have played it the more I have got into it, a bit surprised it reached only 44 on the album chart and now it's disappeared from the chart completely after 1 week. Not convinced Wall Of Sound have done a good job of promotion at all!
Posted By: MemberD Re: The Human League - Credo - 04/05/11 08:12 AM
Well having said that I gave it another spin last night and to my surprise I found I was already quite familiar with most, if not all the tracks. It's all very "instant" .. maybe would have preferred somthing a bit more subtle .. something that really takes time to grow on you.
confused
Posted By: Birdsong Re: The Human League - Credo - 04/06/11 05:20 PM
New interview here with Drowned in Sound

http://drownedinsound.com/in_depth/4142364-%E2%80%9Cwe-all-still-act-like-we-re-about-ten---dis-meets-the-human-league
Posted By: MemberD Re: The Human League - Credo - 04/07/11 07:06 AM
Here's the best interview in years:

the arts desk
Posted By: Alex S Re: The Human League - Credo - 04/07/11 09:20 AM
Agreed! Very good - very interesting.
Posted By: MemberD Re: The Human League - Credo - 06/27/11 07:15 AM
'Credo' will be out on double vinyl on July 25th.
http://www.wallofsound.net/releasedetails.php?id=144

New single 'Sky' also released same day.
http://www.wallofsound.net/releasedetails.php?id=143
Posted By: Alex S Re: The Human League - Credo - 06/27/11 12:02 PM
Glad to hear they've chosen Sky for a single!
Posted By: MemberD Re: The Human League - Credo - 06/27/11 01:43 PM
predictable..not so sure myself.
Not sure about the whole album actually.
frown
Posted By: NerveJam Re: The Human League - Credo - 06/28/11 01:38 PM
I'm SURE - It's not for me. frown
Posted By: RadioBeach Re: The Human League - Credo - 06/28/11 05:59 PM
Originally Posted By: RadioBeach
Quote:
..."Sky" also stands out, a kind of "Louise" type narrative although you get the feeling it takes place in outer space rather than in a Sheffield bus station...
heh! smile

I'm really enjoying Credo. It just shows you what an opinion you shouldn't get from listening to 30 second samples of it! I wasn't to optimistic after hearing the samples, but now I've heard the album properly, I'm really enjoying it! It's definitely a grower though - it hasn't got the immediate response from me that, say - Interplay got.

What a difference a short time makes. I genuinely had optimism for Credo, and really believed it would grow on me. Sadly not the case.
Posted By: the church puddle Re: The Human League - Credo - 06/29/11 09:18 PM
I have been really enjoying Credo. For me it is second only to Travelogue in terms of consistency - even Dare (or is it Dare!) for all its brilliance had bits of filler ("I Am The Law", "Get Carter"). While Credo is admittedly a bit daft in places, it sounds brilliant and lifts the spirits.
Posted By: MemberD Re: The Human League - Credo - 06/30/11 09:59 AM
I honestly wouldn't call Get Carter / Law 'fillers' . .a throwback to THL's sci-fi, cult movie background yes, but fillers no..

Anyways, back to the future: "Sky" remixes for your listening pleasure (?) here
cool
Posted By: Gary Hunter Re: The Human League - Credo - 07/03/11 07:20 PM
The remixes of "Sky" are really disappointing, they don't inspire me at all.
Posted By: MemberD Re: The Human League - Credo - 07/04/11 07:32 AM
Phil talkin' in Profile magazine (page 36-39).
Posted By: MikeG Re: The Human League - Credo - 07/07/11 11:34 AM
I'm getting on fine and dandy with this album - In fact I'm playing it as much as Interplay. I like pretty well all the tracks. It makes my top 3 League albums alongside Travalogue and Dare.
Posted By: MemberD Re: The Human League - Credo - 02/14/12 04:22 PM
Forget that Credo rubbish .... this is the *real* thing!

TALL TALL TALL!!!

Old music: The Human League – Empire Sta...ly charming now
© Metamatic