Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#21911 02/13/11 04:15 PM
S
Scott Offline OP
OP Offline
S
This is a point that's been discussed with my family , friends , workmates & other forums etc. Most notably Porcupine Tree where Steven Wilson has mentioned his hate of them.

How do you folks listen to your music on your ipods or similar devices? Do you listen to the albums from start to finish or have them on shuffle? The way in which Mr Wilson says is killing the art of an album.

I must admit I do listen on shuffle but most of the time it's by an album at a time.

#21912 02/13/11 04:48 PM
Administrator
Administrator
I don't have an ipod / mp3 player - most of my music listening is either on a CD player ( eek ) or - increasingly - via itunes on my desktop AppleMac through headphones.

In the majority, I listen to an album in its created running order (from track 1 to 10 etc) because I'm a traditionalist at heart, and I firmly believe that most of the artists I listen to put the tracks in a particular order in order to create the best effect and to make the most of each track.

To a much lesser extent - usually while I'm doing somethng else - I put the whole lot on shuffle, either alphabetically, or by an artist.

I don't think I have ever listened to a single album on shuffle.

That's just wrong...

Sometimes, hearing an album track during a random shuffle exercise can bring something else to it, so that makes the practise valid and worthwhile.
Even so, I would still always listen to that album in the 'right' (artist preferred) order

Mx

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#21913 02/13/11 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
I don't have an ipod / mp3 player - most of my music listening is either on a CD player ( eek ) or - increasingly - via itunes on my desktop AppleMac through headphones.

In the majority, I listen to an album in its created running order (from track 1 to 10 etc) because I'm a traditionalist at heart, and I firmly believe that most of the artists I listen to put the tracks in a particular order in order to create the best effect and to make the most of each track.
I will second Martin's comment, 'cause this is exactly what I do too.
Seems I'm a traditionalist too... smile

#21914 02/13/11 06:16 PM
I will third that. On the whole I listen to full albums played in the order the artist intended. Usually via the original CD.

I do have a 'Stone' (cheap alternative to iPod) but rarely use it.

#21915 02/13/11 06:23 PM
I have too many ipod things,I tend to browse on my MacBook and listen on that,my iPod classic lives plugged into my home amp, does'nt move unless it needs updating. Getting back into vinyl though!

#21916 02/13/11 07:00 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Maybe mine is a habit that comes from a vinyl youth.

Hard to play the tracks on an LP in any kind of shuffle!!!

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#21917 02/13/11 07:26 PM
I hardly ever play a CD in the CD player these days. I buy an album and it goes straight into iTunes.

I listen to my music on an iPod Touch when I'm traveling to work and back or otherwise out and about. And at home, I only tend to listen to music when I'm in my office, so it plays from iTunes on my Mac. I recently bought a set of JBL speakers for it, so I'm enjoying rediscovering a lot of stuff through good speakers. The sound I'm getting through these is better than my last stereo!

At work I listen to music from iTunes on the computer through headphones, though not all the time!

When I get a new album I'll listen to it as an album for the first few times, but in general I have playlists per artist (sometimes broken down into eras or styles) and I listen to the songs on Shuffle. For me the random play keeps things fresh.

#21918 02/13/11 10:40 PM
Above all,if you do buy one make sure it is suitable for your collection, its so annoying to have to leave albums/tracks off because of lack of storage space.

#21919 02/14/11 09:44 AM
I started off with a 1GB iPod Shuffle. It was good - still is - and very small, so ideal for walking with and clipping it on to pockets or whatever. However since it was only 1GB with no visible interface it was a little limiting, but I got on fine until I got an iPod Touch, which is just fantastic. 16GB, so I can fit the majority of my music collection on - all works by favourite artists at least. It's downside is it's quite large so it needs a dedicated pocket. Although I'm not that into internet on the go, it is handy to have a wifi connection every now and again.

#21920 02/14/11 10:10 PM
I would love to still listen to music in an open room and on good speakers, but the family dictate that I need to listen either in the car (not happy with the quality there) or on iPod Touch (not overly happy with that quality either, but it is leagues ahead of a tape Walkman!!).

The iPod comes in to its own though when I go jogging. I hate running but need to keep fit somehow, and listening to music I find makes the time pass a lot more quickly and I get lost in other worlds!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.