Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Hi All ,

cool A new recording of the John Cage silent piece titled 4'33" has entered the official UK singles chart at no.21 (week beginning Sun 19th Dec).

Some of you will know this already, but the Facebook campaign Cage against the machine was hoping it would beat the X-Factor single to the Xmas no.1 spot, but unfortunately they couldn't match the success of the Rage Against The Machine campaign that did exactly that last year.

Even so, for this particular Cage piece to chart at all, especially given that there's no sound whatsoever on the recording, is quite something if you think about it. I'd be interested to know if Radio One actually played this track in the weekly chart rundown (I never listen, so don't have a clue). I'm not saying that the charts are important at all, but I think this is quite funny and a little subversive at the same time.

For those that haven't seen it yet, here's a link I've found to the video of the recording of silence. You'll catch glimpses of a few well known artists, including John Foxx, and some of them just don't know what to do with themselves:
Cage Against The Machine video

There's just one thing I'm wondering – how did they know they were recording a version of the Cage piece in particular and not a new original silent piece, maybe written by one of the contributing artists, that was surreptitiously put in place at the last moment? wink Hmmmmm! :rolleyes:

Out for now,
Garden

Administrator
Administrator
You can find all the answers to this and more at the discussion thread here:

http://www.metamatic.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000042

And a search facility at the top of the page... wink

The record was played on Sunday by Reggie Yates when it entered the charts

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
OP Offline
smile Many thanks for pointing that out to me Birdsong,

I've now added a reply to Rob Harris' original post about 'Cage Against The Machine', so I'm quite happy for one of the moderators to delete this here post of mine, if they see fit.

Over and out,
Garden cool

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.