Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#21425 10/15/10 11:19 AM
MikeG Offline OP
OP Offline
Here's an interesting view point eek

Quote:
The price of music albums should be slashed to around £1, a former major record label boss has suggested.

Rob Dickins, who ran Warner Music in the UK for 15 years, said "radically" lowering prices would help beat piracy and lead to an exponential sales rise.

Mr Dickins was in charge of the label from 1983-98, working with acts like Madonna, REM and Simply Red.

But his "revolution" in album prices has been met with scepticism from many in the music business.

Speaking at the In The City music conference in Manchester, Mr Dickins said album prices had already been pushed down by price wars and declining demand, and were likely to fall further.

"What we need is a revolution. What we've got is an erosion. When I was running Warners, a chart CD could be £12.99. A chart CD now can be £6.99, maybe even £5.99."

Some major album downloads currently sell for as little as £3.99 through retailers such as Amazon.

If record labels made the decision to charge much less, fans would not think twice about buying an album on impulse and the resulting sales boost would make up for the price drop, he predicted.

#21426 10/15/10 11:43 AM
I'm in favour! wink

#21427 10/15/10 01:50 PM
C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeG:
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeG:
[QB][QUOTE]The price of music albums should be slashed to around £1, a former major record label boss has suggested.

Mr Dickins was in charge of the label from 1983-98 ...When I was running Warners, a chart CD could be £12.99. A chart CD now can be £6.99, maybe even £5.99."

Back in the '90's there was a thing about the fact that UK CD prices were pounds higher than for example in the USA, they were inflated here unfairly, and that remained the case for a very long time.

I shop online and no longer buy my music from stores, I gave up on not just HMV, but also the few independent little shops in the backstreets of town, the only chain I bother with now is Fopp, and that's mostly for back catalogue material. I don't often buy chart CD's, and new music I buy costs me between £8 to £14, depending on whether its a smaller label or indies artist.

Who in their right mind would have wanted to keep on paying £12.99+ in a store for a chart CD, Mr Dickens surely has only himself to blame as head of Warners, but his suggestion of slashing the cost of a CD to £1 just smacks of Nathan Barley style headline grabbing.

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.